Football Manager 2018 (4 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Who else is playing the beta?

I just finished my first season.

Won Supercoppa, Serie A and Coppa Italia with ease. Stormed my way to CL final, including 5-1 home thrashing of PSG, and then lost on penalties to my old Football Manager nemesis, the perennially overrated Manchester United

On the bright side though, their victory meant I got an additional 3.4 mil euros from the Paul Pogba deal :baus:

So far I have signed Di Maria, Luca Pellegrini, Antony Anglieri, Pietro Pellegri, Vrsaljiko and made DC loan permanent (dude's pace is unstoppable in this game). Brought back Kean, Caldara and Spinazzola (he's mediocre but home grown so good enough for a back up). There seems to be loads of talented young Italians in this game so potential for some future first team quality home growns :tup:

In fact, Juve start with ample youth who seem to have high potential ceilings. Obviously there is Kean and furthermore Audero, Bentancur, Caldara, Manolo Portanova, Antony Anglieri (he starts on loan at Juve from Palermo), Elia Petrelli, Caligara, and Mandragora

I was planning to take advantage of some of the available bosmans in summer 2018 mainly Sanchez and De Vrij but every player of interest resigned with their current club within the final two weeks before I could open negotiations :(

And jeez established players are expensive as fuck (probably PSG's fault). You finally get to live the Beppe experience of managing Juventus looking for bosmans and release clauses.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Impressive! What tactic did you use? I have been struggling throughout the season (I am in 27 January 2018), we're five points ahead Inter and finished second in CL behind Barca. Will be playing City in the first knock out and Roma in Coppa Italia semis.

Two things I am struggling with; (1) Consistency. We seldom loose but every now and then we fluke. I lost two Chievo with 5-0. Yes. 5-0!! I almost kick myself. (2) Creativity, or so to speak. We struggle to create chances, which is very evident against smaller teams. They, on the other hand, need to make it across half the pitch five times to score five goals, obviously.

I'm playing 4-1-1-2-1 (4-2-3-1) with, if they are all available, Buffon; DC, Rugani, Chiellini, Sandro; Matuidi/Khedira as DMC (defend or support depending on opponent); Pjanic as a CM (DLPs); Berna (IFs), Dybala AMC (APa), Costa (Wa); Higuain.

Higuain is my main goal scorer with 14 goals across 19 (4) games. Dybala has only scored 8 goals in 20 (6) games. Berna averages a goal every second game while Costa has scored 3 goals and Mario 8. Dybala has an average of 7.56 but should be able to bring more points, not sure what I am doing wrong there.

After trying a bit of this and I gave up and settled for playing with a control mentality, fluid shape and instructing them to retain possession, play out of defence, overlap, play narrower, push higher up, close down more and prevent GK distribution.

Sold Barza to spurs in the January window. He wanted out and I wasn't convinced in renewing his contract, I also needed a spot in order to register Pjaca.

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #3
    4-2-3-1 wide, control, fluid

Play out of defense, run at defense, work ball into box, exploit flanks, close down more and roam from positions and my fullbacks press forward and most of the play comes from wide players or individual skill from dybala, CMs mostly stay deep to cover gap between AMs and defense.

Starting lineup is

-------------------------------------Szceszny (GK defend)

Vrsaljko (FB support) - Rugani (BPD defend) - Benatia (CB defend) - Alex Sandro (FB support)

---------------------------Pjanic (DLP defend) - Matuidi - (BWM defend)

-----------------Di Maria (ISF support) ---- Dybala (AP attack) ------Douglas Costa (winger attack)

-----------------------------------------------Higuian (AF attack)

In away or more challenging games i keep my fullbacks deep to keep from getting caught out by opposition wingers and close down less.

In very tough away games I drop the CAM and play Marchisio as a DLP to sit behind two BBMs in a 4-1-2-2-1 and play on the counter. It doesn't offer much offensively but in two legged ties I use it and I've been able to keep survive tough away games without conceding.

Douglas Costa has been absolutely lethal for me so far. Regularly bombing down his flank and beating one or two players with ease before getting in a cross. He crossing success rate isn't very high but his pace and dribbling gets him so many chances to cross that he still gets regular assists.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
    Who else is playing the beta?

I just finished my first season.

Won Supercoppa, Serie A and Coppa Italia with ease. Stormed my way to CL final, including 5-1 home thrashing of PSG, and then lost on penalties to my old Football Manager nemesis, the perennially overrated Manchester United

On the bright side though, their victory meant I got an additional 3.4 mil euros from the Paul Pogba deal :baus:

So far I have signed Di Maria, Luca Pellegrini, Antony Anglieri, Pietro Pellegri, Vrsaljiko and made DC loan permanent (dude's pace is unstoppable in this game). Brought back Kean, Caldara and Spinazzola (he's mediocre but home grown so good enough for a back up). There seems to be loads of talented young Italians in this game so potential for some future first team quality home growns :tup:

In fact, Juve start with ample youth who seem to have high potential ceilings. Obviously there is Kean and furthermore Audero, Bentancur, Caldara, Manolo Portanova, Antony Anglieri (he starts on loan at Juve from Palermo), Elia Petrelli, Caligara, and Mandragora

I was planning to take advantage of some of the available bosmans in summer 2018 mainly Sanchez and De Vrij but every player of interest resigned with their current club within the final two weeks before I could open negotiations :(

And jeez established players are expensive as $#@! (probably PSG's fault). You finally get to live the Beppe experience of managing Juventus looking for bosmans and release clauses.
    I had 4-0 win at home vs Barca but my results were a bit different
    Serie A I won it 3 games before but it wasn't as easy as it sounds as I was trailing for much of the way to Napoli who just kept on winning and Inter until I beat Inter away and sent them to their bad period...
    CL - I made a comeback against Man Utd in the final after trailing 1-0 and won 3-1 to lift the CL trophy
    CI - I lost at QF or SF vs Milan and got eliminated
    Italian Super Cup - won

Purchases - SMS
    Sold Cuadrado and Pjaca
    I just sold Mandzukic now before the 2nd season as he was bitching a bit.. Buffon retired despite signing an extension..

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #8
    Matuidi is also a straight beast one of the best DM ive ever had in an FM straight tackling opposition players for fun.

So far i really like the new interface, changes to tactical optiobs, scouting, the new medical centre and the greater choice in options when dealing with team morale and talking to unsettled players.

Match engine is still a bit fucked though. Occasionally it just slows down to the point of barely moving. More than once i have had a player injured and forced into sub then noticed my sub never took the pitch. Recently had di maria injured in the 26th minute, brought on pjaca for him, pjaca never took the fieldm i ended up playing 70 minutes with 10 men and di maria visible on the sideline with the physio.

Also, my team is a defensive monster and i concede very few goals in Serie A but a few of the ones i have conceded have all come from the scenario. 35+ yard freekick from the right side, kicker squares ball to unmarked player to his left before 35 yard unstoppable wonderstrike from floro flores level player.

This has happened numerous times, frustrating when its their only chance in the game. Also, i still have the problem from FM 17 where one of my back 4 has the ball, attempts easy pass back to goalkeeper and totally misses sending it out of bounds and giving away a corner. Usually under minimal to no pressure too. Very frustrating giving away free corners like this on what should be simple possession passes

Oh one more thing youve got to float crosses. Any sort of low cross goes straight to gk or out of bounds.

- - - Updated - - -

I had 4-0 win at home vs Barca but my results were a bit different
    Serie A I won it 3 games before but it wasn't as easy as it sounds as I was trailing for much of the way to Napoli who just kept on winning and Inter until I beat Inter away and sent them to their bad period...
    CL - I made a comeback against Man Utd in the final after trailing 1-0 and won 3-1 to lift the CL trophy
    CI - I lost at QF or SF vs Milan and got eliminated
    Italian Super Cup - won

Purchases - SMS
    Sold Cuadrado and Pjaca
    I just sold Mandzukic now before the 2nd season as he was bitching a bit.. Buffon retired despite signing an extension..
    What does you formation tactics look like?

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
    Matuidi is also a straight beast one of the best DM ive ever had in an FM straight tackling opposition players for fun.

So far i really like the new interface, changes to tactical optiobs, scouting, the new medical centre and the greater choice in options when dealing with team morale and talking to unsettled players.

Match engine is still a bit $#@!ed though. Occasionally it just slows down to the point of barely moving. More than once i have had a player injured and forced into sub then noticed my sub never took the pitch. Recently had di maria injured in the 26th minute, brought on pjaca for him, pjaca never took the fieldm i ended up playing 70 minutes with 10 men and di maria visible on the sideline with the physio.

Also, my team is a defensive monster and i concede very few goals in Serie A but a few of the ones i have conceded have all come from the scenario. 35+ yard freekick from the right side, kicker squares ball to unmarked player to his left before 35 yard unstoppable wonderstrike from floro flores level player.

This has happened numerous times, frustrating when its their only chance in the game. Also, i still have the problem from FM 17 where one of my back 4 has the ball, attempts easy pass back to goalkeeper and totally misses sending it out of bounds and giving away a corner. Usually under minimal to no pressure too. Very frustrating giving away free corners like this on what should be simple possession passes

Oh one more thing youve got to float crosses. Any sort of low cross goes straight to gk or out of bounds.

- - - Updated - - -

What does you formation tactics look like?
    I copied my FM17 tactic
    4-3-1-2
    2 box to box 1 ball winning midfielder
    1 Advanced Playmaker support
    DLF Complete forward (both with attacking intent)
    Control is the mentality

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #10
    So the official game dropped today, I downloaded, and now its completely fucked. CPU usage jumps to 100% when playing, game is so slow its not even playable anymore.

My specs are more than what is required and i had no problems with the beta until full game dropped. WTF

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
    Crap, I was pleasantly surprised I could play with "full" graphics. I could see snow/rain, shadows, and the crowd. Made the games more lively to watch, for some reason. I guess I won't be able to do that now then. :(

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    The minimum specs are always misleading. 2GB RAM for a start, yeah right. I wouldn't even touch it without 8GB and an i5 processor, along those lines. I'd even say to go to 16GB for large databases.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
    Still, can't really understand why I can play games like Civilization (newest ones) but FM needs to look like a 90s production on my CPU.
    Yes - I have a mac.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #15
    The minimum specs are always misleading. 2GB RAM for a start, yeah right. I wouldn't even touch it without 8GB and an i5 processor, along those lines. I'd even say to go to 16GB for large databases.
    Its not my specs. I should be able to run the game on high graphics without problem. I ran FM17 on a waaaaay shittier laptop with nowhere near the minimum RAM and never had a problem

I see people online complaining about anti piracy software called Denuvo that is part of this version :boh:

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
    Need a new RW, preferably a straightout winger, someone to replace Cuadrado. United offered 67m so I couldn't refuse. Signed Sanchez who will start as IFs on the left. Although I have offloaded players for 75m (and only spent 26m) I only have 50m to spend.

Suggestions?

Thinking about signing Lucas Moura but never had him and I am uncertain if he is good enough to be a starting player. My scouts are not that fond of him, but I really can't think of anyone else.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #17
    Federico Chiesa looks good but I doubt you can get him for that amount. Maybe you could retrain Kean

D'amico and Lo Faso are also good players for the future, but I haven't looked into RWs really.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    So there is no point buying FM18? My PC is not a that excellent for gaming, kinda silly if they raised the requirements that significantly.

OP
    X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
    Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #19
    Idk i havent seen much online about other people having the same problems but the match engine has been pretty fucked for me since the full release. Shame cause a lot of the new features in the interface are great

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
    So there is no point buying FM18? My PC is not a that excellent for gaming, kinda silly if they raised the requirements that significantly.
    I run on a mac with 16gb ram, 2,3ghz intel core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2gb, Intel Iris Pro 1536mb. Still works fine and runs smoothly after I upgraded from beta. I don't know if it helps but if you want something in comparison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)