Wojciech Szczęsny - GK - Roma (on loan from Arsenal) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
Wojciech Tomasz Szczęsny (born 18 April 1990) is a Polish professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Roma on loan from Arsenal, and for the Poland national team.

After starting his career at Legia Warsaw, Szczęsny signed for Arsenal in 2006, where he made his professional debut in 2009. He later became the club's first choice goalkeeper, winning two FA Cups and being the joint recipient (with Petr Čech) of the 2013–14 Premier League Golden Glove.

Szczęsny has earned more than 25 caps for Poland from his debut in 2009, and was included in the nation's squad as it co-hosted UEFA Euro 2012.

Szczęsny was born in Warsaw. He is the son of Maciej Szczęsny, who was also a professional goalkeeper, having played for Legia Warszawa, Widzew Łódź, Polonia Warsaw and Wisła Kraków, along with seven games for the Poland national team.

X0wDF9J.png

Wkadw2f.png

2xDLECq.png

szczesny.png

pls discuss

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
He's a good GK. I like him.

However, I don't quite see the point of this transfer as I'm pretty sure Buffon can handle the season all by himself, despite his age. So buying some oldie would do a good job too.

Then again, that's just my view, if Gigi can't handle the season then I don't mind one bit we're getting him. His price ain't really high and he's a good keeper without a doubt. I'd rather buy him then buy a vice-Gigi and spend 50mln+ on a GK. Other positions are way more important at this point.

This also points out something else: I don't even see us buying a big name GK next summer if Gigi retires. I'm pretty sure our plan is to keep Szczęsny as our starting GK and buy a bench keeper. Szczęsny is still very young and IMO there's no way he'd be here to warm our bench (even this season I expect him to play A LOT of matches if this transfer happens) next season if we sign Donnarumma or anyone else for some insane money. I also don't think we'll sell Szczęsny and get 2 new GKs.

Shortly: It seems we're signing him surely. If that happens... enjoy the ride. Because I think we found a new GK for a couple of years at least. So you should stop dreaming out a 'new young Gigi' that pops up in the market.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
If he's buffons replacement it makes sense to get him accustomed to the environment and familiar with the team and what is expected of Buffons successor

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Buffon's successor :howler:

That's a huge downgrade; going from Buffon to this doofus.

He's a good keeper, but a long term Buffon replacement he is not! We've always had an Italian keeper, and even when we had a great foreign keeper (Van Der Sar who is superior to this guy in every aspect), he wasn't around for long.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
He's a good GK. I like him.

However, I don't quite see the point of this transfer as I'm pretty sure Buffon can handle the season all by himself, despite his age. So buying some oldie would do a good job too.

Then again, that's just my view, if Gigi can't handle the season then I don't mind one bit we're getting him. His price ain't really high and he's a good keeper without a doubt. I'd rather buy him then buy a vice-Gigi and spend 50mln+ on a GK. Other positions are way more important at this point.

This also points out something else: I don't even see us buying a big name GK next summer if Gigi retires. I'm pretty sure our plan is to keep Szczęsny as our starting GK and buy a bench keeper. Szczęsny is still very young and IMO there's no way he'd be here to warm our bench (even this season I expect him to play A LOT of matches if this transfer happens) next season if we sign Donnarumma or anyone else for some insane money. I also don't think we'll sell Szczęsny and get 2 new GKs.

Shortly: It seems we're signing him surely. If that happens... enjoy the ride. Because I think we found a new GK for a couple of years at least. So you should stop dreaming out a 'new young Gigi' that pops up in the market.
A keeper is very important, Buffon alone brings us 12-15 points every season. So splashing huge cash on a great keeper would be a good investment, the problem is to find a good keeper.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Buffon's successor :howler:

That's a huge downgrade; going from Buffon to this doofus.

He's a good keeper, but a long term Buffon replacement he is not! We've always had an Italian keeper, and even when we had a great foreign keeper (Van Der Sar who is superior to this guy in every aspect), he wasn't around for long.
Correction. He's a very good keeper. Take into consideration the defense playing in front of him the past couple of years. And look at it this way. It makes more sense to get him now, so that he can get games under his belt playing for this club, so that there is no issue with transitioning the season afterwards when he will be the full time keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)