The Office - US vs UK (1 Viewer)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
So in the last one odd year, ive binged on The Office ( US version ). Ive watched the whole season multiple times and it is easily up there with my favourite TV shows ever.

Recently Netflix Canada uploaded the original version - the UK one. Needless to say, I didn't like it. It isn't a case of not finding British comedy not funny since i do enjoy Monty Python, Black Adder etc ( different styles of comedy but still), but I didn't find the UK version remotely funny.

Ofcourse this could easily be down to my subconsciously bias and loyalty to the US version. But do any of you guys find the UK version better?

And more importantly, did anyone here find the the version they saw second better than the first one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'm not a huge fan of either, although in terms of the UK one it's probably because I'm not really fond of Ricky Gervais.

I think broadly speaking it is quite accepted that The Office is one of the few UK to US ports where the American version is either considered better or at least as good as the UK version by a wider audience, although it's quite often hard to agree that when the original is considered something of a classic, hence the desire to make a US version of it.

I think the US version is mainstream funnier and with a better cast but also a far easier watch. It wasn't as ballsy in the sense of having as many cringeworthy or awkward moments that almost wanted you to change the channel, no borderline psychopathic and delusional central character. It's fist-biting stuff, and dare I say that you've watched the shows in the wrong order because they are not like each other in anything other than format. I think Americans in a wider sense need a different kind of humour than what British people can stomach, ours can be undetectably subtle and uncomfortable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)