General News & Politics (5 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I figured this place could use a thread to discuss news, world affairs, and politics without having to resort to either the "News that make you say WTF!" thread or creating a new specific thread.

For curiosities or actual WTF-stuff the other thread still serves its purpose of course, but for more serious stuff I'd suggest this one instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's perhaps start off with the first round of the French elections

Only people worth voting for are fillon and macron
Mélonchon had some interesting idea imo (probably nothing for you though really :D), but threatening to blow up the EU is a no-go for me.

Don't know much about Hamon tbh, and since he didn't have any chance didn't really bother to find out really more about him.

Strongly disagree about Fillon btw, as you probably expected. He'd hardly, if even, be any better than Le Pen for me.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Tomás Eduardo Rincón Hernández (born 13 January 1988) is a Venezuelan footballer who plays as a defensive midfielder or right back currently playing for Italian Serie A club Juventus, and the Venezuela national team, which he captains.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
Tomás Eduardo Rincón Hernández (born 13 January 1988) is a Venezuelan footballer who plays as a defensive midfielder or right back currently playing for Italian Serie A club Juventus, and the Venezuela national team, which he captains.

Classic JJ.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Pretty predictable outcome for the French elections. Macron is going to win it and become the youngest president after Napoléon.

Francois already gave him the support after he lost. So Marine is a bye bye.

- - - Updated - - -

Le Pen leads now with 25%, Macrone second with 21

OP
Ocelot

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
  • Thread Starter #5
    Pretty predictable outcome for the French elections. Macron is going to win it and become the youngest president after Napoléon.

Francois already gave him the support after he lost. So Marine is a bye bye.

- - - Updated - - -

Le Pen leads now with 25%, Macrone second with 21
    First time in ages polls have been spot-on :D Just when you'd expect them not to be :lol:

And those numbers are the actual results after counting ~third of the vote, at this point the projections are more reliable, Macron will most likely win this round.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    I figured this place could use a thread to discuss news, world affairs, and politics without having to resort to either the "News that make you say WTF!" thread or creating a new specific thread.

For curiosities or actual WTF-stuff the other thread still serves its purpose of course, but for more serious stuff I'd suggest this one instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's perhaps start off with the first round of the French elections

Mélonchon had some interesting idea imo (probably nothing for you though really :D), but threatening to blow up the EU is a no-go for me.

Don't know much about Hamon tbh, and since he didn't have any chance didn't really bother to find out really more about him.

Strongly disagree about Fillon btw, as you probably expected. He'd hardly, if even, be any better than Le Pen for me.
    Opposite sides of the spectrum, le pen wants to keep the 35 hour week and retirement at 60

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    First time in ages polls have been spot-on :D Just when you'd expect them not to be :lol:

And those numbers are the actual results after counting ~third of the vote, at this point the projections are more reliable, Macron will most likely win this round.
    Doesn't even matter tho :D Le Pen can't win the second round.

Pretty funny/sad how every winner is the one promising tax reductions for corporations :D

What surprises me is how both Le Pen and Macrone are pushing for 35hours/week work time. I wonder if it's another lie. If not then I think it's gonna be a major hit in Europe.

OP
    Ocelot

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
  • Thread Starter #10
    Opposite sides of the spectrum, le pen wants to keep the 35 hour week and retirement at 60
    Yeah, those are the parts I kinda like about Le Pen :p

At least the 35 hour week, retirement age being raised I can see being sensible depending on the context, but you'd need a proper employment program otherwise you're just gonna end up with lots of unemployed youth + older people losing their job at ~55+

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't even matter tho :D Le Pen can't win the second round.

Pretty funny/sad how every winner is the one promising tax reductions for corporations :D

What surprises me is how both Le Pen and Macrone are pushing for 35hours/week work time. I wonder if it's another lie. If not then I think it's gonna be a major hit in Europe.
    The 35 hour week is already reality in France, has been since the 80es.

And I'd argue that work-time reduction is one of the prime measures to deal with waves of automation in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, I was wrong, it has only been implemented in 2000, sorry.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    The 35 hour week is already reality in France, has been since the 80es.

And I'd argue that work-time reduction is one of the prime measures to deal with waves of automation in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, I was wrong, it has only been implemented in 2000, sorry.
    Yea but Macrone is also for 35 hour week, not just Le Pen, no?

Yeah, those are the parts I kinda like about Le Pen :p

At least the 35 hour week, retirement age being raised I can see being sensible depending on the context, but you'd need a proper employment program otherwise you're just gonna end up with lots of unemployed youth + older people losing their job at ~55+
    Retirement here is 61 and 6 months for women and 65 for men.

I myself don't count for one. I don't think I'll live to see mine.

I know there were 4 employees on 1 pensioner back in Yugoslavia. Nowadays, in Serbia, the rate is insanely close to 1:1 which is not sustainable.

OP
    Ocelot

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
  • Thread Starter #12
    Yeah, but the main problem is that there are too little (well-paying) jobs. Raise age of retirement without doing much else and you'll just get more unemployed people, which are pretty damn expensive for the state too.

And higher wages, even without additional people in employment, would be huge as well, seeing as you're paying into social security/public pension fund as a portion of your income.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and for your first part, I'm definitely for Macron over Le Pen. Fillon probably too if I absolutely had to choose one of them, but it'd be a fucking disgusting choice to make for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)