Greatest player of all time and why (4 Viewers)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
I have been priviledged to see a lot of great players in my time, and i have read about how great some players were like John Charles, Puskas, Di stefano, and some others i have seen like pele, Cruyff, eusebio, Platini, zico, Beckenbauer, Mattheus, Didi, Best, Zidane etc

But the best is without any doubt in my mind was Maradona. I have watched him on videos, watched him live on Tv in the world cup and i have never seen any player bar none play the game like he did. He could dribble for fun, go past players, destroy teams sometimes by himself and he won things for both clubs and country and not just small cups the big ones.

For Argentina he won the wc, i don't think that should be underestimated the amount of pressure he was under to do that, as Argentina need to win wc, to alleviate the state of the country and he brought so much joy to that country by virtually doing it by himself sure he had team mates but none of real geniune quality.

Pele was the most successful player in the wc and the politically correct person will tell you he was the best as he was never caught using cocaine or other drugs as well as didnt handle the ball against of all teams England, who have made an excuse of losing the wc that year to being cheated out of it. You still hear the hand of God till today in England. But Pele had world class players to share the pressures with eg after winning the wc in 58, Brazil won it without him in 62 proving they could and 1970 had rivelino, carlos alberto, tostao, Jairzinho and others who will make most peoples best ever squad.

Cruyff was probably the most tactically astute player but he won nothing with Holland and they were a fantastic team with fantastic players, while Platini the best passer of the ball i have seen, never won the world cup either in a fantastic France team

Maradona was the inspiration of Argentina, could pass the ball, short or long better than anyone, play free kicks as good as anyone. What he does on the field, others do on the training field and would dare not try on the field but Maradona would not even think twice about doing it.

With Napoli he won the scudetto twice, the double once and the Uefa once and they were not big at all before he joined them or had not won anything big anyway. While he was there , they never finished lower than 2nd

If you wanna know his true worth, look at Argentian post Maradona, wc98 1/4s, wc2002 1st round and i talked about pressure, the pressure that was put on this Argentina team to win was enormous but it was shared between so called world class players like Veron. Aimar, Bati, Crespo, Lopez and they could not handle it. Something Maradona did by himself in 86 and in 90 took a very very poor team to the final were they lost to a dubious penalty

Where is Napoli now, in serie B, its not just his team achivements, as a player i see Zz as the best right now, but even he cannot go past 4 or 5 players.

I have been priviledged to watch this guy and nobody comes close to natural talent while his charcter has always been questioned, how many geniuses are normal

Buy on AliExpress.com

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Artur Antunes Coimbra

There are no need for explanations as to why..... jus watch a tape!!

Most simply.... He was the most gifted and inspirational player ever to grace the field!

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    Thast Zico Respaul is talking about for those who don't know

Jul 12, 2002
    Umm...Better is the wrong word. Lev Yashin was the best keeper ever technically, but Zoff was just better at keeping. He looked like a keeper, he was so smooth, but so deliberate. Zoff and Yashin are equally good, but Zoff is the best. If that makes sense.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #16
    Why after seeing many gr8 players, will a goal keeper who is not technically the best u have ever seen be the best player?

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    Why after seeing many gr8 players, will a goal keeper who is not technically the best u have ever seen be the best player?
    You don't have to be technically good to be a good goalkeeper, take Buffon for instance.

OP
    denco

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #18
    You think Buffon is not technically good, I am sorry but i will have to disagree with you there because even Ray Clemence a great keeper in his time and current England coach said he was technically excellent

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    You think Buffon is not technically good, I am sorry but i will have to disagree with you there because even Ray Clemence a great keeper in his time and current England coach said he was technically excellent
    Fine with me. I think that Ray Clemence is speeking about a different aspect than I am. I am speaking about Buffon's use of angles, and his overall form in doing what he does.

Spartacus

Jul 13, 2002
    Ufff though one.

I say Maradona. No questions about it, but also I would say Van Basten which had only a disgrace...to wear number 9.

Van Basten fellas was an incredible player while Maradona was pure genious,Van Basten besides been very talented was also vey,but very intelligent tattically. Once Sacchi was interviewed and questioned why he made Van Basten play even though he was injured and Sacchi responded:"Because I know that even injured he will take four players away with him".

I say Platini too. Another incredible player.

Romario is also another incredible player. The thing that I've seen him do in Barcelona with the legendary dream team were incredible.

Last but not least, Roberto Baggio. A player that if he would've won WC USA 94 could've been compared to Maradona. Too bad he didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)