Batman V Superman and the DC Cinematic Universe (1 Viewer)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I just don't know at this point.

I REALLY REALLY want the DC Universe to start flexing its muscles in the cinematic world. (Nolan/Bale Batman aside) I'm just concerned that this could end up being a mediocre start to the whole franchise. One of the things that helps the Marvel Franchises are the dry sense of humor that is an underlying tone throughout all of the movies. I just don't know if the actors who will be portraying these characters will have the chops to pull it off.

Apr 15, 2006
I just don't know at this point.

I REALLY REALLY want the DC Universe to start flexing its muscles in the cinematic world. (Nolan/Bale Batman aside) I'm just concerned that this could end up being a mediocre start to the whole franchise. One of the things that helps the Marvel Franchises are the dry sense of humor that is an underlying tone throughout all of the movies. I just don't know if the actors who will be portraying these characters will have the chops to pull it off.
Neither do I. But I know I'll watch it anyway cos I'm too big of a DC fanboy to NOT watch them.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I'm more excited for Suicide squad.

For the rest, it will take alot for them to make their own winning formula like Marvel has. They finally decided to do a shared universe after failing with their individual franchises previously except for Batman (rebooted Superman, Green lantern etc). Its extra odd because they have big iconic characters and DC already owned by a giant like Warner Bros that does every entertainment field imagineable, but they lack the ideas and foresight the super ambitious Marvel does, to go all out on cinema adaptions and do the work inhouse mostly with their own studio (except for X-men/Fantastic 4) and shared cinematic universe. Bit late for DC to get on this. Also extra confusing since they already doing The Flash on tv, fairly well suprisngly, and now gonna do movie one too? Split their audience and make them compare etc. TV is also another thing Marvel does smart, and its also part of their sharev marvel universe, dont be suprised to see Daredevil or Jessica Jones in some Spiderman movie in near future etc.

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
Helllsss Yeaahh!!!
I mean, I love Star Wars, that excited me the most this year alongwith any Di Caprio movies, but Superman vs Batman has gotten me excited since that first cam image of the logo!

So Hells Yeaahh!!! I hope they do it great, it is a pity doomsday looks shit and that they had to show it in their latest trailer :( but still, hellss yeeahh!

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
One of the other factors in this, is the fact that the two most iconic characters in the DC universe not only have the comic book legacy to compete against, but they are also competing against the various television and movie screen incarnations of themselves.

If you think about it, in looking at the Marvel Universe, when you say Iron Man, you think Robert Downey Jr. Captain America- Chris Evans. Thor- Chris Hemsworth. Professor X- Patrick Stewart. Wolverine-Hugh Jackman.

Not only do you have just one person that the overwhelming majority remember as the actor/actress playing the role, but for the most part it is thought of fondly. Everybody identifies with that one version of the aforementioned heroes, and that continuity goes a long way in establishing the resounding success of the Marvel Universe.

Conversely, the two franchises in the Marvel Universe that are currently being derided are Spider Man and the Fantastic 4, which both have the distinction of having multiple actors playing the roles of the protagonists.

In the case of the DC Universe, the current actors have the unenviable task of going up against their own history.

When you say "Superman" you don't think Henry Cavill, or Brandon Routh, or the guy from the 50's who played him on TV. You think Christopher Reeve. The squeaky clean, gee whiz type of Superman that a lot of us grew up and loved in the comic books.

And when you say "Batman", it is not Val Kilmer or George Clooney, unless you want to cry yourself to sleep. And it is not yet Ben Affleck. It is always Adam West, Michael Keaton, and Christian Bale. And each one was very different.

So now you have your 4th Superman (5th if you count what could have been with Nicholas Cage), and your SIXTH Batman. And neither one of these two that are currently playing these characters are entrenched in our minds.

That is a problem. I can't blame Affleck and Cavill for this. Batman and Superman have always, and will always be, #1 and #2 in the hearts of comic book fans as far as all time superheroes, especially considering that they were literally the first and second to exist. So we have nearly a century of kids being brought up with these two. It happens.

Marvel has the advantage of not having series of movies prior to these, so it allowed them, and the audience to familiarize themselves with one version of their heroes

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Affleck will ruin Batman. Anyway, the whole idea of combining the two most famous superheroes is extremely stupid itself.

Apr 15, 2006
Is this one a continuation of the "Man of Steel" movie? That was one boring ass movie tbh.
It is. Link is based on Superman's fight with Zod in MoS and how it affected Batman. MoS was boring, yes. But you can't compare that to this movie. This is a while new ballgame!
Affleck will ruin Batman. Anyway, the whole idea of combining the two most famous superheroes is extremely stupid itself.
:rofl: God, you're dumb.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
One of the other factors in this, is the fact that the two most iconic characters in the DC universe not only have the comic book legacy to compete against, but they are also competing against the various television and movie screen incarnations of themselves.

If you think about it, in looking at the Marvel Universe, when you say Iron Man, you think Robert Downey Jr. Captain America- Chris Evans. Thor- Chris Hemsworth. Professor X- Patrick Stewart. Wolverine-Hugh Jackman.

Not only do you have just one person that the overwhelming majority remember as the actor/actress playing the role, but for the most part it is thought of fondly. Everybody identifies with that one version of the aforementioned heroes, and that continuity goes a long way in establishing the resounding success of the Marvel Universe.

Conversely, the two franchises in the Marvel Universe that are currently being derided are Spider Man and the Fantastic 4, which both have the distinction of having multiple actors playing the roles of the protagonists.

In the case of the DC Universe, the current actors have the unenviable task of going up against their own history.

When you say "Superman" you don't think Henry Cavill, or Brandon Routh, or the guy from the 50's who played him on TV. You think Christopher Reeve. The squeaky clean, gee whiz type of Superman that a lot of us grew up and loved in the comic books.

And when you say "Batman", it is not Val Kilmer or George Clooney, unless you want to cry yourself to sleep. And it is not yet Ben Affleck. It is always Adam West, Michael Keaton, and Christian Bale. And each one was very different.

So now you have your 4th Superman (5th if you count what could have been with Nicholas Cage), and your SIXTH Batman. And neither one of these two that are currently playing these characters are entrenched in our minds.

That is a problem. I can't blame Affleck and Cavill for this. Batman and Superman have always, and will always be, #1 and #2 in the hearts of comic book fans as far as all time superheroes, especially considering that they were literally the first and second to exist. So we have nearly a century of kids being brought up with these two. It happens.

Marvel has the advantage of not having series of movies prior to these, so it allowed them, and the audience to familiarize themselves with one version of their heroes
Great points. :tup:

I'm also wary of Ben Affleck as Batman just because it's Ben Affleck. Remember Daredevil. One of the worst superhero films ever made. Affleck just isn't the type for Batman imo.

I would have been much more interested if Christian Bale had stayed on as Batman for the upcoming film... Alas, it wasn't to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)