Any Martial Artists on Tuz? (1 Viewer)

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Does anybody else train any martial arts?

I had to stop training a couple of years ago because I got Glandular Fever. Before then I was training CDO Capoeira and Japanese Jujitsu. Last night I went to my first capoeira class in two years and I'm absolutely burst but also ecstatic to be back training.

I also did a year of Cheng Mang Ching style Tai Chi but that's obviously a different style of training since we didn't really do any applications.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Oh nice! Had you trained a different art before?
Just some boxing in college. I have a friend who teaches, so he convinced me to take classes. The classes are mostly women, so I get a discount to basically be his practice dummy a couple times a week.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I have a taekwondo black belt, but I stopped doing training when I turned 17. I can't remember the movements anymore, but gripping technique, punches and kicks (as far as my horrendous flexibility will allow it) are still all spot on. I'm starting Wing Chun in October, just to learn some basic stuff before me and a friend head to China next summer to train either Shaolin kung fu or Wing Chun for a few months.

Also been doing some private Kung Fu classes on and off, but the PT we found and could afford has a huge drug problem, so he goes off the grid every few months once we start building momentum.

OP
Scottish

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
  • Thread Starter #6
    Just some boxing in college. I have a friend who teaches, so he convinced me to take classes. The classes are mostly women, so I get a discount to basically be his practice dummy a couple times a week.
    :lol:

How true is the 'xyz then kick him in the balls' stereotype of Krav Maga? I've half observed a few classes and it seemed more or less spot on. What's your take on that?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a taekwondo black belt, but I stopped doing training when I turned 17. I can't remember the movements anymore, but gripping technique, punches and kicks (as far as my horrendous flexibility will allow it) are still all spot on. I'm starting Wing Chun in October, just to learn some basic stuff before me and a friend head to China next summer to train either Shaolin kung fu or Wing Chun for a few months.

Also been doing some private Kung Fu classes on and off, but the PT we found and could afford has a huge drug problem, so he goes off the grid every few months once we start building momentum.
    Wow, do you already have a school in mind in China?

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    :lol:

How true is the 'xyz then kick him in the balls' stereotype of Krav Maga? I've half observed a few classes and it seemed more or less spot on. What's your take on that?
    Yeah, the ball kick/punch/slap is part of the deal (the class is mostly women so its not a bad button to push), but not all.

We work a lot more on footwork, to escape a situation after you initially engage an attacker. The last couple of weeks we've been working on escaping various holds, engaging with kicks, punches, or elbows and GTFOing. My buddy actually studies with israeli guys at this academy in NYC. Right now he's working on a visa so he can study there for more than a couple of months.

Personally, I think I would get a better workout with something like jiu jitsu, but there aren't any gyms around here.

- - - Updated - - -

How's your spinning back kick?

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
    I train muay thai and Brazilian jiu Jitsu mixed in with occasional wrestling and judo session. So basically I train MMA. Although I much prefer grappling as I find it to be far more intellectually stimulating, and lacks the risk of head trauma.

I would recommend basically everyone to do a martial art. Especially one with active sparring. Having occasionally sparred with a karate "expert" or a kung fu trainee I often found their skills to be rather impractical. The fact is that you never would want to run into a black belt in anything on the street, but some martial arts are infinitely more effective than others.

in saying that every martial art definitely has it's strengths and weaknesses. I would love to have the leg dexterity of a taekwondo fighter.

Capoeira always seemed ridiculously impractical, but very fun. How is it, Scottish?

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    Yeah, the ball kick/punch/slap is part of the deal (the class is mostly women so its not a bad button to push), but not all.

We work a lot more on footwork, to escape a situation after you initially engage an attacker. The last couple of weeks we've been working on escaping various holds, engaging with kicks, punches, or elbows and GTFOing. My buddy actually studies with israeli guys at this academy in NYC. Right now he's working on a visa so he can study there for more than a couple of months.

Personally, I think I would get a better workout with something like jiu jitsu, but there aren't any gyms around here.

- - - Updated - - -

How's your spinning back kick?
    I cant even remember the names of various kicks and punches. There are a few spinning back kicks that I remember. If you're talking about spinning to the left, raising the left knee while kicking to the temple with your right, then Im pretty sure I would disintegrate if I tried it.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    I cant even remember the names of various kicks and punches. There are a few spinning back kicks that I remember. If you're talking about spinning to the left, raising the left knee while kicking to the temple with your right, then Im pretty sure I would disintegrate if I tried it.
    This:

I want to do that.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    This:

I want to do that.
    Thats one of the first kicks we learned and Ive still got the technique down, but Im not sure hos much power I could generate with my hips tho.

The most useful thing I learned in taekwondo when it comes to self defence is the hip push kick. That has bailed me out several times.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
    Dec 27, 2005
    I've trained BJJ, and I think it's the best Martial Art along with Judo. However since my shoulder injury at Judo, I hardly trained (it's mostly on and off periods), and I've been more focused on weight lifting. Now I'm planning to start again, as much as my job will allow me, which means one week on, one week off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)