Fear the Walking Dead (1 Viewer)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
So a record number of cable TV viewers in the U.S. watched the premiere of Fear of the Walking Dead Sunday. I didn't think it was half bad. The key to the series is going to be the slow burn of the story, rather than how The Walking Dead started out.

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
I'm not sure how The Walking Dead is still insanely popular. It's turned into a zombie soap opera with a different villain each season. There is still absolutely no sign of an end game. At least with this new show there is a new element to the story in that you see how people reacted to the initial infection which I find mildly interesting

Whereas over on TWD - Still living with zombies. Characters slowly becoming less likable. Characters occasionally dying. If it wasn't for the fantastic production values and my belief that the story eventually has to go somewhere I would simply give up on it.

Give me some type of end game damn it. Be it a cure, or the group finding there way to Barbados or something. Anything

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I wrote about Fear of the Walking Dead in the TV thread (since it is a different show).

As I've said all along, the trap of The Walking Dead is that one thing that makes the core of the show -- the zombies -- are fundamentally repetitive, boring and predictable. The secret of the show has been that other people have been the most dangerous and crafty animal to contend with and be challenged by ... the zombies are just traffic cones to avoid.

Type 0 zombies sound like just an attempt to make zombies interesting again. But the fact is they're not. In fact, a colony of ants is far more interesting, because at least then they show cognitive awareness and group behavior.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm not sure how The Walking Dead is still insanely popular. It's turned into a zombie soap opera with a different villain each season. There is still absolutely no sign of an end game. At least with this new show there is a new element to the story in that you see how people reacted to the initial infection which I find mildly interesting

Whereas over on TWD - Still living with zombies. Characters slowly becoming less likable. Characters occasionally dying. If it wasn't for the fantastic production values and my belief that the story eventually has to go somewhere I would simply give up on it.

Give me some type of end game damn it. Be it a cure, or the group finding there way to Barbados or something. Anything

There can't be an endgame, because a cure wouldn't make sense. You can't cure dead people. Some of the zombies have half their bodies cut off. Human beings don't survive that. The only possible outcome is finding enough healthy people to start a new society with. From the very beginning of the show that has been the only outcome that made sense and it isn't particularly thrilling.

I wrote about Fear of the Walking Dead in the TV thread (since it is a different show).

As I've said all along, the trap of The Walking Dead is that one thing that makes the core of the show -- the zombies -- are fundamentally repetitive, boring and predictable. The secret of the show has been that other people have been the most dangerous and crafty animal to contend with and be challenged by ... the zombies are just traffic cones to avoid.

Type 0 zombies sound like just an attempt to make zombies interesting again. But the fact is they're not. In fact, a colony of ants is far more interesting, because at least then they show cognitive awareness and group behavior.
These apocalypse/survivor type shows always start out strong and end poorly. There are multiple reasons for that. The most important one I'd say is that we like to see regular people like us thrust into situations they are not used to. After a season or two however everyone is used to zombies and they are becoming completely numb. The only way you could keep it interesting is by involving some sort of big conspiracy, but even then it generally fizzles out. A much better show than this was BBC's Survivor, but somehow they never made the third season that should have cleared things up.

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
There can't be an endgame, because a cure wouldn't make sense. You can't cure dead people. Some of the zombies have half their bodies cut off. Human beings don't survive that. The only possible outcome is finding enough healthy people to start a new society with. From the very beginning of the show that has been the only outcome that made sense and it isn't particularly thrilling.
A cure for the people who aren't yet zombies? Right now if they get bitten, or even die of regular causes they turn into zombies. A cure for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)