Stephen Hawking announces $100 million hunt for alien life (1 Viewer)

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
On Monday, famed physicist Stephen Hawking and Russian tycoon Yuri Milner held a news conference in London to announce their new project: injecting $100 million and a whole lot of brain power into the search for intelligent extraterrestrial life, an endeavor they're calling Breakthrough Listen.

"We believe that life arose spontaneously on Earth," Hawking said at Monday's news conference, "So in an infinite universe, there must be other occurrences of life."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-announces-100-million-hunt-for-alien-life/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-07/20/breakthrough-listen-project

:tuttosport:

Buy on AliExpress.com

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
why not? if it is your passion and you have the money, go ahead.

...others buy a football club and spend that in one transfer window.

hawking :hi:

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #5
    why not? if it is your passion and you have the money, go ahead.

...others buy a football club and spend that in one transfer window.

hawking :hi:
    Exactly. But wasn't he the one who said it's a dangerous thing to look for life out there, when the most likely scenario is that it would be like Columbus all over again, but this time we would be the "native people"? A bit of a contradiction.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Considering millions work meaningless jobs to buy shit they don't need, I think it's a pretty worthwhile endeavour. Whenever such a project is met with cynicism by a person I can't help but feel sad for his/her pettiness and lack of interest in life.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    More like 6 billion :D
    The most infuriating part is that in recent decades most money has been made in sectors that have done nothing to contribute to society. I'm looking at the finance and legal sector here.. With the focus on STEM degrees that is changing, albeit slowly.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    Considering millions work meaningless jobs to buy shit they don't need, I think it's a pretty worthwhile endeavour. Whenever such a project is met with cynicism by a person I can't help but feel sad for his/her pettiness and lack of interest in life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)