Rock, in all shapes and sizes (21 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
This girl is fantastic. One of my favourite new musicians in terms of rock. Lady Lamb the Beekeeper (Aly Spaltro is her name). Love this song in particular. The album it is from, Ripely Pine is all over the map, and might have been my favourite album of 2013.

Here's the rest of the session.

[video=vimeo;92126872]http://vimeo.com/92126872[/video]

And her latest song from her new album that's coming out in march.

@CrimsonianKing I know you said you're not into much new music, but what do you think?

OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #5
    @PostIronic I liked the last song more. But it's not really my cup of tea. She reminds me of a more predictable popish teenie version of PJ Harvey and even Fiona Apple at times.

Difference is, to me at least, those 2 write very clever melodies whilst hers didn't really caught my attention. I'ts like it lacks something, uniqueness maybe, to make her stand out from that Indie crowd, that indie sound.

She looks young though, maybe her best stuff hasn't been written yet. I must say though while searching for more stuff to have a better understanding of her sound, i found this more interesting than the other songs:

Oh, since I'm certain you know the other artists i mentioned i thought i'd share something with a similar sound but a bit more unknown. I saw this band open for Deftones back in 04' or 05'. Yes, she was THE hottest thing on earth and i couldn't blink for a second. :D

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    I like the song you linked, Bird Balloons. It's one of the best on her first record. She definitely has a tendency to slip into a more pop rock type sound at times, although the first song, I do quite like all the shifts and changes in pace and tone. Her lyrics aren't all that great yet, but she's young still, so who knows where she goes.

I know Denali, haven't seen them live (lucky, she is hot), but have both their albums on vinyl. The self-titled is this translucent aqua colour. It's fun. I like their sound. Much harder than LLBK.

This is a band that has an interesting sort of spaced out psychedelia sound. Their album Madness in Miniature was great imo.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Yeah, like Crimson alludes to, this is more my style of chick rock ;) Rubber gloves and toilet brush and all...

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    :tup:

You both seem to like something a little harder, a little more "rockin" than I do. I do like PJ Harvey and Denali, though. But I also like that slightly softer, more indie-pop, kind of sound of Lady Lamb above, and... perhaps a band like Lucius.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always liked stuff along the lines of Lydia Tomkiw's monotone poetics in Algebra Suicide...

And then the no-wave out there aspect of Lizzy Mercier Descloux...

In terms of female "rock". Although titling either of the above "rock" might be stretching definitions.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011

You both seem to like something a little harder, a little more "rockin" than I do. I do like PJ Harvey and Denali, though. But I also like that slightly softer, more indie-pop, kind of sound of Lady Lamb above, and... perhaps a band like Lucius.
    Don't insult rock music by posting that stuff in here pls

- - - Updated - - -

solid gold

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    I really liked the 1980s Dunedin Sound that came out of New Zealand with bands like The Verlaines and The Clean. The Verlaines had some of the best lyrics around. Graeme Downes was an excellent songwriter.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #18
    Yeah, like Crimson alludes to, this is more my style of chick rock ;) Rubber gloves and toilet brush and all...

Love that album. That song in special is very Josh Homme-ish :D

She's gone into a more indie-pop kind of sound lately. Kinda disappointing.

- - - Updated - - -

Why the hell am i not on this list
    I thought you were more of a metalhead. And i don't know who still listens to rock around these parts, i just remembered a few.

OP
    CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #20

It's not a matter of liking heavier stuff. On the contrary, I'm a sucker for good melodies as i said above. But I'm very particular about indie bands and how they all sound alike.

It's a revival of all things lately, there's barely anything fresh. Most "alternative" bands of today (which hurts me to say since Alternative rock was really interesting in the 90's and really shit after that) are either going for that popish synthitized 80's and/or a modernish 60's sound.

I remember when I still cared to find new music not so long ago, i'd listen to playlists and playlists of Alternative/indie artists i've never heard before in the chance of finding something interesting, out of a 100 I might have find 1. And the rest was the same pop shit with the boring uninteresting melodies using with the same uninteresting chords. Actually melodies? Where the fuck did they went? What's with the weird shit just for the sake of weirdness?

Krautrock was extreme experimental music yet interesting, avant-garde and revolutionary. These bands? meh.

Anyways, in one of those lists I found this, which as i said, is nothing but band trying to sound like they're in the 60's but at least they write clever music.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)