Šime Vrsaljko - RB/LB - Sassuolo (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003

Date of birth 10 January 1992 (age 22)
Place of birth Zadar, Croatia
Height 1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)
Weight 73 kg
Playing position Right back​

Šime Vrsaljko (pronounced [ʃiːmê ʋrsaːʎko]; born 10 January 1992) is a Croatian footballer who plays as a right back for Genoa CFC and the Croatian national team. His preferred position is at right back, but can also play as a left back, making him a very versatile player. He made his national team debut in February 2011 and represented the country at UEFA Euro 2012. Vrsaljko has been hailed as one of the most talented Croatian footballers, drawing parallels with Luka Modrić who – like Vrsaljko – grew up in Zadar and later came through Dinamo Zagreb's youth ranks.

Club career

Vrsaljko started his senior career at Dinamo Zagreb's feeder team, Lokomotiva, where he spent the 2009–10 season on loan. He debuted for Lokomotiva in the Croatian top level in the match against Rijeka on 26 July 2009 at the age of 17. Vrsaljko was in the starting lineup in each of the 17 Lokomotiva's league matches in 2009, being substituted only once.

Dinamo Zagreb

He rejoined Dinamo Zagreb's squad on 22 December 2009 before the winter break and appeared in his first match for Dinamo Zagreb on 27 February 2010 against Croatia Sesvete in the Prva HNL. He made nine more appearances by the end of the season for Dinamo, making a total of 27 league appearances throughout the whole season. Vrsaljko also made one appearance in the semi-finals of the 2009–10 Croatian Cup.

Vrsaljko missed the opening matches of the 2010–11 season, as he was called up for international duties with the Croatian under-19 team. He made his first appearance of the season on 31 July in a league match against Rijeka which Dinamo Zagreb lost 2–1. Vrsaljko then made his debut in European competitions, featuring in their defeat to Sheriff Tiraspol in the third qualifying round of the 2010–11 UEFA Champions League. In August that year he was linked with a transfer to Olympique Marseille for a fee of €4 million, but executive vice-president of the club Zdravko Mamić turned down the French club's offer. On 29 August he scored his first league goal for the club in the match against Cibalia which Dinamo Zagreb won 2–0. Due to his impressive performances for Dinamo under the coach Vahid Halilhodžić, he was named Croatian Football Hope of the Year for 2010. By the end of the season, he won the double with Dinamo.

He started the 2011/2012 season by providig an assist for Ivan Krstanović in UEFA Champions League qualifier 3-0 victory against Neftchi Baku in Zagreb. In August 2011, he was sent off during the away match of 2011–12 UEFA Champions League play-off round against Malmö FF, as Dinamo managed to qualify for their first UEFA Champions League in 12 years. He was banned with 3 matches absence in Champions League. He made his 2011–12 UEFA Champions League debut on Matchday 4 against AFC Ajax, and made another appearance in the final match against Olympique Lyonnais on Maksimir Stadium. In domestic league, he made 22 league appearances and provided 5 assists in process, as Dinamo won another double - Prva HNL and Hrvatski kup titles.

After his return from Poland, where he was a part of Croatian team at UEFA Euro 2012, he helped Dinamo to qualify for another UEFA Champions League. He made 4 appearances as right full-back in 2012–13 UEFA Champions League as Dinamo finished bottom of their group with only one point.

Genoa

On 12 July 2013, Vrsaljko joined Italian Serie A side Genoa for an undisclosed fee, believed to be close to €4 million.

International career

He received his first call to the Croatia national football team on 2 November 2010 for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Malta. He made his national team debut on 9 February 2011 in a friendly match versus the Czech Republic. He made 3 more appearance before May 2012, when he was named in Croatia 26 players preliminary squad for UEFA Euro 2012. After the friendly match against Estonia in May 2012, Croatia manager Slaven Bilić withdrew him from the final list for UEFA Euro 2012.[8] However, just a week after being withdrawn from the final list, he was called up again due to injury of Hamburger SV player Ivo Iličević. He was unused substitute in all 3 Croatia matches at UEFA Euro 2012.

Buy on AliExpress.com

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
We could sell Isla. Caceres might also be offloaded or moved to CB. Depending on price we can seal this, plus dealing with Genoa we could easily insert some players to bring down the price.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
We could sell Isla. Caceres might also be offloaded or moved to CB. Depending on price we can seal this, plus dealing with Genoa we could easily insert some players to bring down the price.
how about no. but i can see him as a CB though. maybe thats the plan and thats why we are looking for a RB (Darmian, Mustafi, Vrsaljko).

Sjaban

Dec 29, 2012
Caceres has proven many times that he deserves to stay, he can play on any position in defence and he always gives his all.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
how about no. but i can see him as a CB though. maybe thats the plan and thats why we are looking for a RB (Darmian, Mustafi, Vrsaljko).
Caceres is much better as a RB than as a CB in my opinion. And I agree he should not be sold simply because he proved many times he's good enough, especially for a back up. He's a warrior and offers unique dimension in our defense, despite some brain farts from time to time.

As for Mustafi, he's a CB as far as I know. Him playing as a RB for Germany is laughable, just like the rest of those three as they are all CBs.

Out of those named it's Darmian who's the most promising player and the only one we should consider getting at this point.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Caceres is much better as a RB than as a CB in my opinion. And I agree he should not be sold simply because he proved many times he's good enough, especially for a back up. He's a warrior and offers unique dimension in our defense, despite some brain farts from time to time.

As for Mustafi, he's a CB as far as I know. Him playing as a RB for Germany is laughable, just like the rest of those three as they are all CBs.

Out of those named it's Darmian who's the most promising player and the only one we should consider getting at this point.
i agree we should chase Darmian but Mustafi would be the alternative for me. i like what i saw so far, he received an unexpected call for the NT and he is doing very well. he is not that good going forward but he is still 22 with room for improvement in that regard. i know we have Licht and Caceres and we dont need him now but i would hate to lose him because i think he could become a top defender in the coming years. and i think i read hes available for 6M, for that money he would be a top buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)