[SCO] Scottish Premier league 2014/2015 (1 Viewer)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
New kit and sponsor unveiled yesterday:

http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20140602/sponsor-and-kit-unveiling-201415_2212158_3876564

:tuttosport:

And season-ticket sales are going well, so should be able to improve the squad this summer.

Not that there is all that much to do.

Few players left, but none that we wanted to keep.

New 2nd keeper and a back-up centre-half have signed already, as well as making Logan's loan a permanent deal.

Starting XI would be the same as last season, as things stand:

Langfield

Logan-Anderson-Reynolds-Considine

Jack-Flood

McGinn-Pawlett-Hayes

Rooney​

We want Shinnie from ICT for left-back, but it remains to be seen if a deal can be done.

Beyond that there isn't much needing done. Could do with a winger and a striker for the squad, but hard to see either of them being good enough to break into the starting team.

Was sad to see Scott Vernon leave (not that it was the wrong decision to let him leave). Gave good service for a few years and could have been one of our best strikers in terms of stats in a long time if managers hadn't misused him. There have been few players that I can recall who - with no existing ties to the club - have been so willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of the team.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair amount of optimism among the Dons support just now.

General feeling that if we can make a couple of good signings and Celtic fuck up appointing their new coach, there could just be the outside possibility of a title challenge this season.

Attachments

Boksic

May 11, 2005
General feeling that if we can make a couple of good signings and Celtic $#@! up appointing their new coach, there could just be the outside possibility of a title challenge this season.
:facepalm2:

Absolutely no chance. With the greatest respect why do Aberdeen fans always have the most unrealistic expectations?

You win a league cup and you guys think you can win the league, I don't get it.

Celtic have far too much money for anyone to challenge them.

Anyway going to be a strange season without Hearts, Hibs and Rangers, and going to be an interesting Championship.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Who said anything about winning the league?

I said 'title challenge', which is a term open to interpretation. Roma put in a title challenge, in my opinion, but finished 17 points behind Juve.

You have to remember that Celtic got an abnormally high number of points this year (99 points). They won the title with 79 points in 12/13.

We got 68 points this last season.

I don't see that it it unrealistic for us to aim to push up towards 75 points next season.

And it's not unrealistic to think Celtic will return to a more normal winning total around 90 points.

Then it depends on when and how the gap opens up as to whether there is a feeling of a title challenge or Celtic ever being under pressure.

But you just carry on with the classic Central Belt position of misconstruing statements and claiming Aberdeen are being unrealistic every time we show the slightest bit of ambition.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Who said anything about winning the league?

I said 'title challenge', which is a term open to interpretation. Roma put in a title challenge, in my opinion, but finished 17 points behind Juve.

You have to remember that Celtic got an abnormally high number of points this year (99 points). They won the title with 79 points in 12/13.

We got 68 points this last season.

I don't see that it it unrealistic for us to aim to push up towards 75 points next season.

And it's not unrealistic to think Celtic will return to a more normal winning total around 90 points.

Then it depends on when and how the gap opens up as to whether there is a feeling of a title challenge or Celtic ever being under pressure.

But you just carry on with the classic Central Belt position of misconstruing statements and claiming Aberdeen are being unrealistic every time we show the slightest bit of ambition.
I am not showing any classic "Central Belt position". When you mentioned a challenge, I just thought you meant that you would challenge Celtic for the title. I honestly don't think Aberdeen or any other team has the ability to come close. Yes, you could maybe finish 17 points behind in second and that would be a decent accomplishment, for me that is not a challenge.

Roma had a challenge in that there was a relatively small gap at one point, and they looked like they wouldn't drop points. The gap only got big after the season was effectively over. I cannot see any team doing this with Celtic.

Teams picked up more points this year with Hearts being at a severe disadvantage in that their squad was decimated and because Rangers were not in the league. St. Johnstone earned more points this year than last and finished six (previous year they were third).

It is nothing personal, but seriously I am completely perplexed at why Aberdeen fans do this. I have listened to Aberdeen fans tell me for years that they should be challenging for the title, it is just not going to happen.

I am all for having ambition but I think realism is needed too.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I am not showing any classic "Central Belt position". When you mentioned a challenge, I just thought you meant that you would challenge Celtic for the title. I honestly don't think Aberdeen or any other team has the ability to come close. Yes, you could maybe finish 17 points behind in second and that would be a decent accomplishment, for me that is not a challenge.

Roma had a challenge in that there was a relatively small gap at one point, and they looked like they wouldn't drop points. The gap only got big after the season was effectively over. I cannot see any team doing this with Celtic.

Teams picked up more points this year with Hearts being at a severe disadvantage in that their squad was decimated and because Rangers were not in the league. St. Johnstone earned more points this year than last and finished six (previous year they were third).

It is nothing personal, but seriously I am completely perplexed at why Aberdeen fans do this. I have listened to Aberdeen fans tell me for years that they should be challenging for the title, it is just not going to happen.

I am all for having ambition but I think realism is needed too.
Fuck knows what stupid Dons fans you speak to then.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Things shaping up reasonably well for the coming season.

Don't like the signing of Goodwillie (for football reasons, never mind getting into the off-field issues), but he's just a back-up striker on a one-year contract, so not too big a deal.

Langfield

Logan-Anderson-Reynolds-Considine

Flood--Jack

McGinn-Pawlett-Hayes

Rooney
----------------------------------------
Brown

Murray-Shaughnessy-Taylor-Roberston

Robson-Storie

Wright--Smith--Low

Goodwillie​

No changes to last season's best eleven, but some good depth added. I'd guess we'll sign a winger (probably just as depth) and that'll be it, unless a great chance pops up to sign a starting left-back. I doubt anyone else is going to be able to come close to the depth we are going to have.

Anyway, we should be stronger than we were last season and I'm not sure how many other teams are going to be able to say that.

Utd can be, but it'll be dependent on them using the Gauld cash wisely. For all their attacking talent, they are likely to remain soft in the centre of midfield and the centre of defence.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I just don't think his style of play fits with what we have.

Don't think he's ever looked good playing as a lone striker - i.e. our main system - and I don't think that he would fit in a partnership with either Rooney or McGinn.

His best seasons came, I believe, when he was playing with Jon Daly. We don't have anyone like that.

I also really like our current system and I'm somewhat concerned at the thought that McInnes might mess around with it to try and force Goodwillie into the team and risk the great balance there was to the team last season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)