Playstation 4 (1 Viewer)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
This will be the first time I decide not to buy a new gen console and its not only because i am getting old and somewhat losing interest in video games. (PS4 and Xbox One are similar in many ways but will focus on PS4 here).

First the non-gaming aspect. The PS4 is inferior to the PS3 in media centre capabilities etc which I find astonishing. Hard core gamers like to say: "good its a gaming console" but lets face it, having some decent media centre software doesn't take away from its gaming capabilities one inch - no DLNA either. They can change this with updates but you are getting an inferior product to the PS3 at least from a non-gaming perspective.

OK now for gaming. It has superior hardware to the last generation yes. However, the increase is no where near as great as it was from PS2 to PS3. Sony was losing over US$200 per console on the PS3 when it came out and now they are break even on each console they sell. That tells you a lot. It tells you that in theory you can build a gaming PC for less than $100-150 more than a PS4 and play games on ultra settings at higher frame rates. When the PS3 came out, you had to spend well over $1500 to have the same performance as a PS3 - now you can buy a PC for $500-600 that has the same power as a PS4. This tells you that Sony could be prepping for a shorter lifecycle on consoles whos next generation is never backwards compatable.

A PC is more expensive at first - say $150 more for the same hardware performance. However, to play on-line you will need to pay $60 a year. The games are MUCH more expensive than PC. PC games are AT LEAST 30% cheaper for new releases and can be a fraction of the cost if you think about bundles using steam etc. Of course, PC hardware becomes obsolete faster when it comes to playing the AAA titles - but you can update your graphics card every 3 years and thats it. A good graphics card to play AAA titles you can buy for less than US$200. Overall, the gaming experience is superior and works out to cost the same and its a proper Home Theatre PC.

More and more PC games are becoming controller enabled so you can play them with an Xbox 360 controller hooked up to your TV.

Anyway, thought I would share those thoughts.

OP
Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #7
    Lets have a PC thread then too? Wii? Xbox? and others too maybe?
    Don't let your personal frustrations in real life pollute (any) thread.

There's a reason this thread is opened, many of members here are gamers and play lots of video games. You can see (considering your posts I assume you didn't even notice, or try to notice) that there's a PS3 thread here which had many posts. You're in The Gaming Zone section, but you seem lost here. You can open Xbox thread, I couldn't care. Wii as well, but I doubt it will have a lot of posts. So yeah... your posts are really pointless.

If you don't like it just stay away from it. It's really that simple.

Edit: FYI there's already Xbox thread, but it has only 2 pages.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Proud owner of a PS4, and I love it.

The User Interface is very smooth and elegant. Everything is much much faster compared to the PS3 UI. Catenaccio mentioned the lack of media features. They are working on enabling MP3 soon, and will look into Media Server features in the future. I'm not too worried though. Graphics are mindblowing. An indie game such as Resogun with its particle effects are already showing certain things that couldn't be done on a current gen console

You can use my name to add me if you wish. Sergio Lenza Jr

- - - Updated - - -

Lets have a PC thread then too? Wii? Xbox? and others too maybe?
    You want to start a PC gaming thread? Knock yourself out. At least that means you won't be on the console threads constantly going on about the superiority of PC gaming, because most of us frankly don't care.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    This will be the first time I decide not to buy a new gen console and its not only because i am getting old and somewhat losing interest in video games. (PS4 and Xbox One are similar in many ways but will focus on PS4 here).

First the non-gaming aspect. The PS4 is inferior to the PS3 in media centre capabilities etc which I find astonishing. Hard core gamers like to say: "good its a gaming console" but lets face it, having some decent media centre software doesn't take away from its gaming capabilities one inch - no DLNA either. They can change this with updates but you are getting an inferior product to the PS3 at least from a non-gaming perspective.

OK now for gaming. It has superior hardware to the last generation yes. However, the increase is no where near as great as it was from PS2 to PS3. Sony was losing over US$200 per console on the PS3 when it came out and now they are break even on each console they sell. That tells you a lot. It tells you that in theory you can build a gaming PC for less than $100-150 more than a PS4 and play games on ultra settings at higher frame rates. When the PS3 came out, you had to spend well over $1500 to have the same performance as a PS3 - now you can buy a PC for $500-600 that has the same power as a PS4. This tells you that Sony could be prepping for a shorter lifecycle on consoles whos next generation is never backwards compatable.

A PC is more expensive at first - say $150 more for the same hardware performance. However, to play on-line you will need to pay $60 a year. The games are MUCH more expensive than PC. PC games are AT LEAST 30% cheaper for new releases and can be a fraction of the cost if you think about bundles using steam etc. Of course, PC hardware becomes obsolete faster when it comes to playing the AAA titles - but you can update your graphics card every 3 years and thats it. A good graphics card to play AAA titles you can buy for less than US$200. Overall, the gaming experience is superior and works out to cost the same and its a proper Home Theatre PC.

More and more PC games are becoming controller enabled so you can play them with an Xbox 360 controller hooked up to your TV.

Oh, and I agree with everything you said. Basicly PS sucks and PC rulz.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

Ma man :tup:

But let me make that even better. Many games are ported in such a way that they arent optimised for mouse - keyboard. So the xbox360 controller is allready an integral part for the sports/racing/action pc gamer.

My rig costed 1100 in 2007. So far i needed a new GPU and feed. Considering the savings i make per game i buy and no extra internet costs, ive actually payed far less then a console user

steamsales ftw

Satchy

Nov 4, 2004
    Got an PS4 and I must admit that I hadn't so much fun with any game in the last few months if not years that I had with Resogun. Other than I'm still waiting for the good AAA titles which are coming out in the next year. Only got AC4 so far and the PS+ games for free Resogun and Contrast.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    Got an PS4 and I must admit that I hadn't so much fun with any game in the last few months if not years that I had with Resogun. Other than I'm still waiting for the good AAA titles which are coming out in the next year. Only got AC4 so far and the PS+ games for free Resogun and Contrast.
    This is what i dont get. Currently, the games on PS3/xbox360 are pushing the ancient hardware to its limits, so are excellent.

WHy immediatly buy a ps4/xbox180, if there arent AAA/must buy launch titles availbale, especially considering the PS4 isnt backwards compatible

Why not wait untill the killer games are releasing, and probably get some "ps4+game x for massive discount y" ?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    This is what i dont get. Currently, the games on PS3/xbox360 are pushing the ancient hardware to its limits, so are excellent.

WHy immediatly buy a ps4/xbox180, if there arent AAA/must buy launch titles availbale, especially considering the PS4 isnt backwards compatible

Why not wait untill the killer games are releasing, and probably get some "ps4+game x for massive discount y" ?
    Why buy the new apple?

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    Why buy the new apple?
    Thats diffrent. I'm against apple and the sheeple that buy it3.

its like a cult of people that need to buy an increadibly overpriced product thats not the best in any way, and have the latest version all the time to feel part of some large community of peasants.
    Cause there is no real innovation usually

PS4 definatly has a buying reason, it will bring newer and better games. Its not just more storage, but its more like the latest version win only run on the PS4.
    Like when going from cellphone to smartphone to play farmville or some shit.

But the point i tried to make is, the PS4 doesnt have that buying reason yet, apart from "ooooh shiny"
    And very expensive

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    But most of their products are simple, user friendly and pretty bad ass.

Hmm. To each his own I guess. I'm just tired is windows.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
    Apr 12, 2009
    I ain't got the dough for the PS4.

It'll have to wait till 31st of December. I hope it'll be worth the money.

But most of their products are simple, user friendly and pretty bad ass.

Hmm. To each his own I guess. I'm just tired is windows.
    :agree:

I just switched to a MacBook Pro and I have to say I love it so far. I adore the integration between my MacBook, iPhone and iPad. We're one happy family together.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    I dont like how microsoft wants to copy apple's closed type operating system, trying to get a cut of digital sales and products that run on the OS.
    Windows 8 quite simply is a load off bullshit

Windows 7, thats the best OS in history, and as long as its compatible i'll keep using it. And if that stops, i'm switching to linux. especially since Valve is onto that now

- - - Updated - - -

I just switched to a MacBook Pro and I have to say I love it so far. I adore the integration between my MacBook, iPhone and iPad. We're one happy family together.
    you can get exactly the same in many diffrent ways of choise on PC, Android/windows/google phone, and any tablet (preferably asus).

And you'll have spend 30+% less for better products

The only good thing about apple, is the Macbook's battery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)