Aaron Ramsey (1 Viewer)

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009

Aaron James Ramsey /ˈræmzi/ (born 26 December 1990) is a Welsh footballer who plays for Arsenal and the Wales national football team. He also represented Great Britain at the 2012 Olympic Games.
Ramsey mainly plays as a box-to-box midfielder, but has also been used in a wide variety of midfield and even fullback positions. Ramsey played for Cardiff City as a schoolboy where he spent eight years in youth football before making 22 appearances for the senior team, including the 2008 FA Cup Final.

As a child Ramsey attended Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni in the Caerphilly County Borough.[3] Before turning to football, he was a keen rugby player and athlete. As a schoolboy he played as a winger for Caerphilly R.F.C.s youth development programme, where he was approached by scouts from Rugby League side St Helens RLFC after playing in a youth match against them[4] but had already been signed by Cardiff City's youth academy. Ramsey was Welsh Schools' Athletic Association pentathlon champion in 2005 and was ranked 4th in Great Britain in the under 17 age group in 2006.[5] He lived with his parents, Marlene and Kevin, and his brother, Josh, until moving to London where he was housemates with former Cardiff City teammate, Chris Gunter,[6] who was then playing for Tottenham Hotspur. Ramsey is bilingual, speaking both Welsh and English.[7]

Wales :delpiero:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Gian

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
  • Thread Starter #3
    Best midfielder in Europe along with Pogba imo.

I hope we sign him one day.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey schooled at Cardiff City to be top of class
    The midfielder who rejected Manchester United to make his name at the Emirates has never forgotten his Welsh roots

Aaron Ramsey had a lime-green car when he joined Arsenal for £4.8m from Cardiff City in 2008. It lasted about a week. Photograph: Martin Meissner/AP

At Aaron Ramsey's secondary school in the Rhymney Valley in south Wales, Jeremy Evans smiles as he recalls the day when his star pupil was called up to Cardiff's first team. "I remember it very well," Evans, the head of PE at Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni, says. "The head of year came to me to say that he'd had a call from Cardiff City, asking the school's permission for Aaron to play on the Saturday against Hull. We had to call Aaron in from the yard and he had to go and see his head of year to explain what had happened."

As a model student who graduated from the Welsh-speaking school with 10 GCSE's and was regarded as university material, Ramsey had no reason to fear he was being summoned for a reprimand. Instead, he was about to create history. Aged 16 years and 124 days, Ramsey supplanted John Toshack as Cardiff's youngest player when he appeared as a substitute against Hull City in April 2007. His place in Cardiff's record books is recognised at the school, where photographs of Ramsey's achievements for club and country decorate the corridors and provide a source of inspiration to all.

"I use Aaron's name daily," Evans says. "He's one of those once-in-a-lifetime pupils. I think he helped us more than we helped him, to be honest, because he was so naturally talented. I've been teaching 25 years and he's head and shoulders above the best kid we've ever had."

Ramsey is still in touch with his roots. The Arsenal midfielder has returned to his old school a couple of times, including for a sportsmen's dinner to raise funds for a rugby tour to Canada (his younger brother Josh was part of the squad), and he is often spotted in Caerphilly, the town where he was brought up and which is famous for cheese as well as being the birthplace of the comedian and magician Tommy Cooper.

On Saturday, though, there will be a homecoming of a different kind. Ramsey, in the form of his life, goes back to the club where he spent eight years before joining Arsenal in 2008, at the age of 17, for £4.8m. He has faced Cardiff on Welsh soil once before, in an FA Cup tie at Ninian Park in January 2009. He also returned to Cardiff for a brief loan spell in early 2011, as part of his recovery from the horrific double fracture he suffered at Stoke City a year earlier, but this latest reunion feels different and not only because Cardiff are a Premier League club.

"Aaron's going back as one of the main men in Arsenal's team," says Chris Gunter, the Wales international who was at Cardiff's academy at the same time as Ramsey and remains close friends. "He got a few goals early on this season and he's just taken it on from there.

"If he has silenced anyone or changed people's minds, then brilliant, but I'm just pleased for him because there's nothing worse than being on a pitch in front of 30,000 people and having your leg broken. So to come back from that and get through it, as well as any criticism he was getting, is fantastic."

Ramsey's emergence as the standout player in the Premier League this season is a source of great pride for those who have known him since childhood. For Evans, the memories are not only of a supremely gifted footballer but a multitalented sportsman who excelled at everything he tried, including the shot put.

"He was a very good 800m and cross-country runner – you can see that with the way he's box to box with his football," Evans says.

"He was also Welsh Schools' pentathlon champion in year nine. He was competing against people who went to athletics clubs and trained two or three times a week, whereas Aaron was just doing it for the school, helping me out. I was astounded when he won.

"It was the hurdles, high jump, long jump, shot put and the 800m. Aaron was a strong boy – he threw a shot 10m. He was in third place going into the last event but he finished miles ahead of everyone else in the 800m. He was also a very good gymnast and an excellent rugby player, league and union. He was good at everything, basically."

One thing that nobody at the school wants to be seen doing, however, is receiving any praise for Ramsey's football development. "I taught Aaron maths for five years," Tony Wilding, who is also the school football coach, says.

"I think I can take a little bit more credit for how he did in his maths – which was very well – than how he did in his football. I can't claim any credit for his football because his natural ability was that good. He was an outstanding individual but also very unassuming. Even when he was representing Wales at 14 and playing two years above his age group, nobody knew he was playing apart from us, who took an avid interest in his development. He's very humble. I think that's the way he was brought up."

Kevin and Marlene, Ramsey's parents, were taking their eldest son back and forth to Cardiff's centre of excellence from the age of nine. Ramsey's progress was rapid and by the time he was a teenager it was obvious that Cardiff had a rare talent on their hands.

"In terms of looking at young players, some have three out of the four elements – technical, tactical, physical, mental – that you need but Aaron had all four," Lee Robinson, Cardiff's former academy manager, says. "He was such a talented boy. One of the abiding memories I have of Aaron at Cardiff is when we were playing Arsenal in the FA Youth Cup quarter-final at the Emirates in 2007.

"Aaron was still at school and he scored in the game. We lost 3-2 and Jay Simpson got a hat-trick for Arsenal. At the end Steve Bould [Arsenal's Under-18 head coach at the time] came up to me and said: 'You've got the best player on the pitch.' I think at that point I knew we had something special."

Shy and quietly spoken off the field, Ramsey came to life whenever he pulled on his boots. "The first time I saw Rambo play was against Swindon reserves, when I was coming back from injury," Darren Purse, Cardiff's former captain, says.

"Rambo was 15 years old, he had a day off school, he turned up with the worst haircut in the world and I looked at him and thought: 'Who's this kid?' Paul Wilkinson, the reserve team manager, pulled me over and said: 'Purse, watch this lad play.'

"Rambo was the best player on the pitch. He ran the show from the middle of the park. What summed it up was about two minutes before the end, when he put the ball in the top corner from 25 yards."

The only problem for Cardiff was that the top Premier League clubs were hovering and there was a real risk that Ramsey would leave for next to nothing.

"A lot of people had some positive input all the way through his Cardiff City youth years – loads of coaches," Robinson says, "but I think my biggest success with Aaron was keeping him at 16, when players have freedom of movement to go. I know he was being tracked by various Premier League clubs – he was going to Newcastle and Liverpool during half-term. Manchester United could have had him for £40,000 at 16 but they didn't think he was good enough. Not long after they wanted to buy him for £4.8m.

"It took me lots of discussions with Aaron's father and mother over about six months to get him to commit to signing for Cardiff at the age of 16, which we did on the back of the development pathway being that he would be playing in the first team sooner rather than later, as opposed to going to a Premier League youth team."

Never one to shout about his football feats, Ramsey kept a low profile, apart from when it came to his mode of transport – a lime-green Ford Fiesta, complete with a black and white chequered roof.

"That was his first car," Gunter says, smiling. "I'd moved to Tottenham, he was still at Cardiff and he came up to watch Razorlight in a gig in London. He drove up and stayed with me and I saw the car for the first time. When he moved to Arsenal he still had it. I think it lasted about a week. He didn't need to be driving that into Arsenal's training ground!"

Ramsey had a huge decision to make when weighing up whether to sign for Arsenal or Manchester United but Arsène Wenger's influence was instrumental. While Sir Alex Ferguson was away on holiday and happy to leave Mike Phelan, the assistant manager at United, to deliver the sales pitch, Wenger and Arsenal went to the trouble of laying on a private jet to fly Ramsey and his parents to Switzerland – where the manager was working as a pundit during the 2008 European Championship – to explain face to face, and in great detail, how the teenager's career would develop in north London.

While the journey over the next five years has not been without its difficulties, teachers, coaches and former team-mates all say they never doubted the ability of the 22-year-old Welshman, whom they feel privileged to have watched, worked with and played alongside.

"It has taken time but because you can come back physically from an injury, it doesn't necessarily mean you can come back [straight away] mentally," says Robinson, who remains close to Ramsey.

"It's all credit to Aaron and testament to his character but did I believe he would go on to do what he is doing now? Yes, 100%."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/29/arsenal-aaron-ramsey-cardiff-city-wales

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    :sergio: Figures this would only appear after he scores a brace.

Tuzzers have the attention spans of gnats, I swear.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    He has like 12 goals so far. Which is very good for a midfielder. But now that Gian is singing his praises, he'll be shit within the month.

#AVBISBEST

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    :sergio: Figures this would only appear after he scores a brace.

Tuzzers have the attention spans of gnats, I swear.
    He hasnt just scored a brace, more like 13 goals and like half a dozen assists, as a CM, kid is pretty much dominating the shit out the opponents out there. And he has been doing it since the 2nd game of the season til now, its more suprising that he is only now getting a thread complimenting him on his insane wowzer performances this season, and the thread is fairly short one so far :p But its not suprising its Gian who started it :D

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    He hasnt just scored a brace, more like 13 goals and like half a dozen assists, as a CM, kid is pretty much dominating the shit out the opponents out there. And he has been doing it since the 2nd game of the season til now, its more suprising that he is only now getting a thread complimenting him on his insane wowzer performances this season, and the thread is fairly short one so far :p But its not suprising its Gian who started it :D
    Oh, he's awesome alright. But what was so unsuitable about starting this thread, say, this past Tuesday?

It's just another example of looking at the day's scoreboard as a joke of an excuse for "scouting".

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I'm not sure if you joking or serious Greg, but if you are serious, this is a very weird pet peeve to have :D Its fairly understandable that in the section of non Juve players, you bring up a player who is pretty much amongst the most awesome in the game now (and it being pretty fucking shocking level of improvement), would I have started this thread? no not all (actually never started a thread here ever), dont see much discussion value in this, but I dont mind someone else doing it, its no biggy.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I'm not sure if you joking or serious Greg, but if you are serious, this is a very weird pet peeve to have :D Its fairly understandable that in the section of non Juve players, you bring up a player who is pretty much amongst the most awesome in the game now (and it being pretty fucking shocking level of improvement), would I have started this thread? no not all (actually never started a thread here ever), dont see much discussion value in this, but I dont mind someone else doing it, its no biggy.
    I think Tuz posters should be capable of doing more in scouting threads than a Twitter headline triggered because they scored today, only for the thread to die until the next time they score.

We honestly don't need dedicated threads for that. ALC already has a hard enough time finding existing Reus threads that have been out there for a couple of years ;) -- we don't need people creating new threads to announce each moderately decent player every time they might have a good match.

The whole way we are using the Scouting Network threads is f'ed up in my mind. And I've just taken up some interest in laying down some ground rules so that they just don't become dumping grounds for goal scoring incidents -- which is the way many of them function right now.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I agree its very lazy and adds little to no discussion value on regular basis :p But I dont expect better around here, and its better then nothing to simply just have fixed location where you can possibly discuss certain players in the future, then simply just delete them ,and see them re-create the threads later on anyways.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    You're probably right, Osman. I guess I am just holding out for a sliver of optimism somewhere. ;)

I think the mods need to rethink the function of these Scouting Network threads otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)