Craft beer (3 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I don't know why it took me so much to open such a thread. I'm a big fan to the extent that I haven't had a commercial beer in I can't remember how long. I simply can't stand the standard taste anymore and I have to enjoy the proper brewing together with the touch of the brewer.

I love mostly ales and preferably IPA, the US and Scandinavian countries are producing excellent brews and to some extent Scotland is delivering to my taste. I am still to enjoy craft stouts and imperial stouts but for the moment I'd stick to ale.

My all time favourite brewer has to be Mikkeller, these guys know their hops.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Does Blue Moon count as a commercial beer? Because it's pretty good :p

I like drinking craft but I usually stick with Yuengling since it's cheap. Not proud of it but I even drink Coors sometimes :dissapointed:

Going back to craft, there's so many options. I'm always trying something new. Some supermarkets have individual bottles and you can make your own six pack. Best idea ever.

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6
    Does Blue Moon count as a commercial beer? Because it's pretty good :p

I like drinking craft but I usually stick with Yuengling since it's cheap. Not proud of it but I even drink Coors sometimes :dissapointed:

Going back to craft, there's so many options. I'm always trying something new. Some supermarkets have individual bottles and you can make your own six pack. Best idea ever.
    Blue Moon is definitely craft. Even Sierra Nevada which is a huge brewery counts does not count as commercial. Coors, that's commercial :inter:

Really? what supermarkets do that? When I was in Greensboro I wanted something like that but I couldn't find any, they were all six pack of the same sort and that sucks, there were so many bottles I wanted to try.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    Wegmans and Giants from what I've seen. Idk if they have Wegmans in North Carolina tho.

As for Coors, I'll take a case of cans. You can shotgun them! And everyone drinks it. No sense in getting shitfaced off of good beer.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    I never get shitfaced drinking craft, it's just for my enjoyment but I understand why you drink that.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
    Jan 26, 2009
    I never get shitfaced drinking beer or wine. Now whiskey is an entirely different matter.

Thailand is really getting into craft beer now as well. A few pubs are actually promoting different craft beers :tup:

Too bad my dad enjoys commercial draft beers, so I am kinda stuck drinking that when he visits :sergio: :wallbang:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Like microbrewery? I assume it's the same thing.

I like both dark ales and IPAs, tried a few different ones on Thursday night at the local.

Morocco Ale - dark ale, a bit too much spice for my tastes
    War Horse - very fragrant IPA, ok taste but aftertaste was more like bubblegum than fruit
    Wizard's Staff (Wychwood) - slightly nutty and hoppy, best of the three

I do like many of the Wychwood Brewery variations. But my personal favourite is the Cornish bitter ale Doom Bar made by Sharp's, ridiculously easy to drink without being flat or tasteless.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    Well microbreweries produce only craft beer. But I would not say that craft beer is only produced by micro breweries. I guess you know what I mean and it's good that you shared some brews, the trick is to find them over here.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I sort of knew what you meant. For example the Wychwood and Sharp's breweries are several stages beyond microbrewery now, but the origins are there. Non-mainstream ales :D

When I go down to the south coast I particularly have many more than I would at home, ales from all around the world, but I couldn't even start remembering the names.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #13
    Yes, same here. I have tried a lot of ales but a lot of names have been forgotten. That's the beauty of it though, in my opinion. I tend to just look for places serving such ales when I visit new places and (let me follow a trend here) my care cup would be almost empty to even bother remember the name.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    I don't know why it took me so much to open such a thread. I'm a big fan to the extent that I haven't had a commercial beer in I can't remember how long. I simply can't stand the standard taste anymore and I have to enjoy the proper brewing together with the touch of the brewer.

I love mostly ales and preferably IPA, the US and Scandinavian countries are producing excellent brews and to some extent Scotland is delivering to my taste. I am still to enjoy craft stouts and imperial stouts but for the moment I'd stick to ale.

My all time favourite brewer has to be Mikkeller, these guys know their hops.
    Jack, if you need help with something, you can allways ask.

I'm in the final year of my Master in applied science : Biochemistry (or "industrial engineer biochemistry" in europe). One of our courses is "food technology" of with 70% is about the brewing process. On top of that, half my class did their academic bachelor about a microbrewery project in wich they made beer, and i got a good relation with the proff biochemistry, who is an expert on the entire microbrewing process

if you are stuck at some part, you can allways ask. I'll provide you an answer for it, although the responsetime may vary as i'm in a very buzy period and need to catch up alot of work from the 2 weeks i couldnt attend class

- - - Updated - - -

At this exact moment, i'm actually putting some work in a tast about brewing.

HACCP analysis report of a part of the proces. Taking goddamn ages :D

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #16
    Jack, if you need help with something, you can allways ask.

I'm in the final year of my Master in applied science : Biochemistry (or "industrial engineer biochemistry" in europe). One of our courses is "food technology" of with 70% is about the brewing process. On top of that, half my class did their academic bachelor about a microbrewery project in wich they made beer, and i got a good relation with the proff biochemistry, who is an expert on the entire microbrewing process

I don't care about the brewing process as I am not interested in brewing. Here you can see me giving a toss about a brewing process in a microbrewery in Wleteren I visited this summer.

if you are stuck at some part, you can allways ask. I'll provide you an answer for it, although the responsetime may vary as i'm in a very buzy period and need to catch up alot of work from the 2 weeks i couldnt attend class
    I don't really care about the brewing process as I am not really interested in brewing myself. Some brewers are doing a great job and that makes me happy. Here you can see me giving a toss about the brewing process at a microbrewery I visited in Wleteren this summer.

Attachments

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    Cool :D didnt knew you were in belgium this summer :tongue:

I do agree on your statement. Its a bid sad the way beer is produced today, and that the standard taste is preserved at massive efford.

Home brewn beer, never really tastes the same, when comparing multiple harvests

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #18
    I am in Belgium quite often for several reasons.

Look at InBev for example, it's disgusting how they are.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #20
    The way they just take over Belgian and other breweries. They are destroying a craft and a tradition. When I am in Belgium I avoid anything produced by InBev, well not only in Belgium, I avoid anything InBev all the time. The last time I had a Leffe was three or more years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)