Mattheus Oliveira - Flamengo - AM (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010

Mattheus Oliveira, or simply Mattheus (born July 7, 1994 in Rio de Janeiro), is a Brazilian football Attacking midfielder. He was formed in the Flamengo youth academy and has been promoted to the first team in 2012. He is also a member of Brazil U-20 team.

Mattheus, named after the former German national football team World Cup winner Lothar Matthäus is son of former Brazilian player Bebeto, and became widely known just days after his birth due to his father's 'cradle-rocking' celebration on scoring a crucial goal against Holland in the 1994 FIFA World Cup quarter-finals.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
I thought we were going to wait until December then sign him on a free at the end of his contract??? perhaps that was a careful ploy by Beppe and Paratici??? The kid had already agreed to sign with us, Flamengo and the others who own his registration weighed everything up and thought 2m is better than 0.

I very much like what I have seen of him. Wonderful control and distribution.

If we are paying for him, I assume that he will be coming into our primavera setup this season???

- - - Updated - - -

I hope he enjoys his stay at AlbinoLeffe, Pro Vercelli, Siena and Bologna.
The climate of our club in regards to youth has changed dramatically over the last year or two. We have invested very heavily and will continue to do so. if a player is good enough, they now have a much greater chance of finding opportunity in the first team squad, due to increased synergy between Conte, Baroni, Marotta and Paratici.

Giovinco, Marchiso, Marrone and De Ceglie...four players of our first team squad have been out on loan and returned. Two of those players are first XI regulars. Not bad for a top club challenging for top honours domestically and in continental competition.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
The climate of our club in regards to youth has changed dramatically over the last year or two. We have invested very heavily and will continue to do so. if a player is good enough, they now have a much greater chance of finding opportunity in the first team squad, due to increased synergy between Conte, Baroni, Marotta and Paratici.

Giovinco, Marchiso, Marrone and De Ceglie...four players of our first team squad have been out on loan and returned. Two of those players are first XI regulars. Not bad for a top club challenging for top honours domestically and in continental competition.
Yes of course some of these youth players will end up in the first team (Pogba, Leali?), but the reality is that many won't be much better than Serie B or low level Serie A players.

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
I remember watching that cradle-rocking celebration and now we sign that kid :touched:

Gotta admit Bebeto was one of my other favourites back then :oops: I hope this kid breaks into the first team in a few years.

Already a fanboy.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Yes of course some of these youth players will end up in the first team (Pogba, Leali?), but the reality is that many won't be much better than Serie B or low level Serie A players.
Leali is something very special indeed...his form for Lanciano has been a mix between solid and spectacular. Pogba wasn't loaned out...too good, even at 19 to be playing anywhere else but Juve, so not really a great example of how the loan system can work out for youth players, but I get what yoi are saying, pretty much agreeing with what I mentioned about 'if you are good enough you get a chance'.

Mattheus is noted for sloth pace, but he is far from a cripple and can surely be muscled up a little and improved in terms of pace and acceleration. the obvious positives are the same talents which allow him to make the ball do the running for him. Zidane, for example, never had great pace, but he was incredibly hard to get the ball off, and very rarely gave it away when he did pass it. the more players we have who are comfortable on the ball the better, for its something our team lacks, other than a top quality prima punta (until llorente finally arrives) and a top quality SS.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Pogba was never signed as a youth player though.
That's what I was saying...he was a bad example, other than of 'good enough, play then'. He was on a youth contract at Man U prior to us signing him...they have a pretty concrete structure for their youth players, step by step until they become established at senior level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)