Hint: collapse posts (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
For those of you who are browsing the forum with Internet Explorer or other similar browsers which support certain IE specific features, you will notice a plus/minus sign in the top left corner of every post, which will allow you to collapse/expand posts individually.

However, you can also set an option in your user preferences to automatically collapse all posts marked as read by you. To enable this function, click on user options in your user control panel and select "yes" for "Contract posts you already read?". :)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Greg

Oct 1, 2001
Martin, I did that collapsing post thing in my profile but it isn't working properly. When I went to the "free chat zone" thread for the first time, most of the posts were collapsed already??????????????

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    That's exactly the point. The posts you've already read are collapsed.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Greg ] ++
    Martin, I did that collapsing post thing in my profile but it isn't working properly. When I went to the "free chat zone" thread for the first time, most of the posts were collapsed already??????????????
    If you log onto the board, you read all the posts, even if you don't actually click to view them. SO if you come back an hour or so later, every new post from the first time is marked read. At least that is how I understand it.

Greg

Oct 1, 2001
    Martin, before having looked at the thread at all, I set up the collapsing feature, then I looked at the thread.

Bigizz, I don't think that is the case

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #11
    Then I see only one possible explanation... :)

The read/unread flags are set based on session, not individually for every post. So if you stop by the forum, read a couple of posts but not all of those which are marked unread, then leave and return, all those posts that were unread the first time you were present are now marked read, whether or not you saw them. Hence with the collapse feature turned on, they will be collapsed. :)

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #16
    The old system to mark which threads are read and which aren't worked the exact same way. If you want to make sure you don't miss out on any new posts and you always rely on the markers to tell you which posts are new, you have to read all unread posts each time you are on the forum, because next time you come back they will be marked read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)