Conte: We didnt play as a team (1 Viewer)

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005

Antonio Conte believes the Bianconeri’s heavy fixture schedule had a part to play in tonight’s defeat against Roma, but refused to hide behind a below par team display in the capital.
Speaking to Sky Italia following a disappointing night in Rome, Conte said: “I said it before we played against Fiorentina: I wasn’t particularly happy about playing three games in a week. We paid the price for our tiredness and an added day’s rest would have been of use.
“I hope that in future, when the fixture list is being compiled, there’s a bit more of respect for the team that is taking Italy forward in Europe.
“This is, however, the only excuse I can give for today’s performance. We didn’t play as a team and anyone can beat us when we perform as such. We took a step back today and I hope this serves as a lesson for us.”
After coming through taxing fixtures against Fiorentina and Celtic unscathed, Conte admitted that he asked his players if they felt capable of performing in the build-up to tonight’s clash with the Giallorossi.
“I asked the players today if there was anyone who didn’t feel up to it and nobody came forward. The pitch gave me a different response and I didn’t like the team’s performance. If we fail to produce what we work on in training then everyone will be out of sorts.
“Evidence of this can be found in Asamoah’s display. He spent a month and a half with his national side and today he looked like a fish out of water. This conveys the importance of work.”

Source: Juventus.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
“I said it before we played against Fiorentina: I wasn’t particularly happy about playing three games in a week. We paid the price for our tiredness and an added day’s rest would have been of use.
"
Isn't that what Mazzarri said last season and we replied that we would gladly play in Europe instead?

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
It makes what he said last season look stupid now. First, basically "leave Europe to teams like Juve then" to "we can't handle this 3 games a week business."

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
It makes what he said last season look stupid now. First, basically "leave Europe to teams like Juve then" to "we can't handle this 3 games a week business."
It's a perfectly legit excuse. If the Lega have the opportunity to move the game a few days forward, why not do it? Milan played yesterday so they could get more rest before Barca.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Yeah. I'm with JCK and Quetzalcoatl on this. Dortmund played yesterday, and demolished their opponents (and they had a CL game on Wednesday, not Tuesday mind you). I'm saying it happens all across Europe, and not just Italy, so it's not really a valid excuse. That's why squad rotation exists.

Barcelona, Madrid, Bayern, Dortmund, and United all have to deal with the same situation, but you don't see them dropping points after every CL encounter. I guess our two year hiatus from Europe means we are still inexperienced and relatively raw when it comes to handling a packed fixture schedule. I know Conte is accustomed to these kinds of situations from his playing days, but Serie A had less teams then, the CL was somewhat smaller, and the game wasn't as fast paced and intense as it is today. Moreover, Juventus didn't deploy this style (whereby we hardly conserve any energy), so it has clearly taken its toll on the players. I believe that with experience, we shall be able to handle this issue.

Goodfella

Nov 11, 2012
UCL fatigue is a pussy excuse.

How can't professional grown ass men give their best 4 days after playing a 90 minute game?

And if they are so tired, why didn't you rotate them?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)