A Euro for Europe (1 Viewer)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
In theory, I think it's a fine idea.

Means more countries can get a chance to host games.

Travel for the teams shouldn't be too much of an issue, as long as the scheduling is sensible. There can already be a lot of travelling, considering the distances between stadiums in some co-hosted tournaments, like in Poland and Ukraine.

What's wrong with this idea? Aside from it being different and suggested by UEFA - two things that people tend to immediately dislike.

- - - Updated - - -

And that's without even going into the issue of how few European countries would feel they have the financial clout to host a Euros by themselves at the moment.

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010
I guess it could result in a 'diluted' atmosphere, since there will be more distances between cities. When there's only one host, it tends to build up.

Other than that, I don't know.

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
:sergio: bye bye to charm of international football. euro 20 in several.countries and wc 22 in Qatar at winter

:facepalm:

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
I got this off Goal's comment section (I know you dont have to say anything) but can someone confirm this?
Turkey was the only candidate for euro 2020.
Platini tries several options in order not to give it to Turkey. Other countries did not even apply for euro 2020. Because they thought that Turkey is going to win it.
while selecting host country of euro 2016, there was corruption as well. So Turkey were not selected.
There was obvious DEADLINE for countries wishing to host euro 2020.
Till the end of that deadline none of european countries applied for this competition. Turkey was only candidate.
THEN Platini's activities bagan:
1) Deadline was extended TWICE !!!
there were not any other candidates again!
2) Platini decided to create "ARTİFİCİAL" candidate. as other big football countries were unwilling, Platini offered Georgia and Azerbaijan to be host countries. (I am from Azerbaijan, so I know details).
But these countries could not get an agreement, as we had close relationship with our brothers (TURKEY).
3) NOW Platini wants to do EVERYTHING in order not to let TURKEY to get it.

"BLAME TO THIS HATER=PLATINI
He hates Turks. Because we (turks) are GREAT people in terms of personality .
we are honest-minded, we are not like platini.
İf i were from France , I would be shy for citizens as platini!!!"

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Actually sounds like a good idea. Europe is small enough and the tournament is long enough, that something like this could work out.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I like the idea, the travel won't be much worse than some of the journeys in this year's euros if the plan it well.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
I got this off Goal's comment section (I know you dont have to say anything) but can someone confirm this?
Platini tries several options in order not to give it to Turkey. Other countries did not even apply for euro 2020. Because they thought that Turkey is going to win it.
while selecting host country of euro 2016, there was corruption as well. So Turkey were not selected.
Till the end of that deadline none of european countries applied for this competition. Turkey was only candidate.
2) Platini decided to create "ARTİFİCİAL" candidate. as other big football countries were unwilling, Platini offered Georgia and Azerbaijan to be host countries. (I am from Azerbaijan, so I know details).
But these countries could not get an agreement, as we had close relationship with our brothers (TURKEY).

Yeah, that's why Turkey didn't get EC :lol2:

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
Everything went down hill when camel country got the World Cup.

- - - Updated - - -

After the debacle with Russia and Qatar getting the World Cups ahead of the UK and USA respectively. From then on I realised not to take UEFA or FIFA seriously anymore.

How is this layout fair on fans who want to watch their teams play. One day in England the next in Italy. Its financially crippling.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006

The bit about Turkey being the only serious bidder seems to be true: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/dec/06/euro-2020-michel-platini-roadshow

Don't know about the rest, but I'd be pretty surprised if UEFA really wanted to take it to Georgia and Azerbaijan.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
Everything went down hill when camel country got the World Cup.

- - - Updated - - -

After the debacle with Russia and Qatar getting the World Cups ahead of the UK and USA respectively. From then on I realised not to take UEFA or FIFA seriously anymore.

How is this layout fair on fans who want to watch their teams play. One day in England the next in Italy. Its financially crippling.
Cry me a river.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You have to wait for the details before going for that criticism.

One would imagine that each group will be played between a couple of stadium that aren't a million miles away from each other and the suggestion seems to be that the semi-finals and the final would all be in one city (or at least all within reasonable striking distance of each other).

I'm certainly not expecting a team to have it's group games split between Lisbon and Vladivostok.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You have to wait for the details before going for that criticism.

One would imagine that each group will be played between a couple of stadium that aren't a million miles away from each other and the suggestion seems to be that the semi-finals and the final would all be in one city (or at least all within reasonable striking distance of each other).

I'm certainly not expecting a team to have it's group games split between Lisbon and Vladivostok.
first half in Lisbon, second half in Vladivostok

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)