Juventuz Livestream Project™ (2 Viewers)

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
I've been working on the Juventuz Livestream Project for a couple of weeks now, a few hours here and there.

What?

As you know, the highest quality streams are Sopcast streams. The downside is that you need the Sopcast software and therefore it isn't available on all devices (like iPad and iPhone) and you also need to connect early, before the channel is full. Not anymore.

Why?

I started working on it because either you would have to get in early on a Sopcast stream (before it was full) or use a crappy quality flash stream through some ad infested website. Also, you could only get the Sopcast stream working if you had the Sopcast software installed and far from all devices are supported.

How?

The Juventuz Livestream takes the highest quality Sopcast streams > Transcodes > Outputs new streams. The HD stream is exactly the same quality as the Sopcast stream (not transcoded) you see if you use it directly through Sopcast, the difference is now you don't need Sopcast installed, you can view the streams directly through VLC or your iPhone, iPad or Android device.

The SD stream is transcoded with x264, 480p, with a bitrate limit. Useful if your connection is slow (ie. viewing Sopcast channels is choppy).

The streams are playable and pausable on pretty much any device.

I have tested it on Macbook, Windows 7, Linux and iPhone (vanilla), it works flawlessly.

Only Juve streams?

Initially yes. It depends on the interest. We could setup a thread where people can request streams. I have set it up to use 4 different channels but I'll probably only run one at a time from the beginning.

Downloads?

I'm looking into the option of capturing the streams so that they're downloadable after the game.

Cost?

Don't worry, it'll be cheap.

Because we have a limited amount of bandwidth and a limited upload link (100 Mbit/s), this will not be free to use for everyone. If we use too much bandwidth, I have to pay extra. If too many connect, the streams will be slow. So that's why.

If testing goes well and there's interest, I'm able to setup more servers to stream from which of course will cost money and therefore it can't be free.

When?

I'll roll out testing soon for staff and contributors. Possibly for the game vs. the garbage men tonight.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Attachments

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Sounds like a good plan :tup:

Theirs always a bit of delay on the Sopcast streams generally. Will this have a bigger lag?

OP
Marty

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #4
    Sounds like a good plan :tup:

Theirs always a bit of delay on the Sopcast streams generally. Will this have a bigger lag?
    Well maybe delayed by a few seconds extra, I haven't checked.

I will probably run up to 4 different streams so people can use whichever works best.

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #8
    Quick question:

Which resolution and bitrates would you like to see?

This is what I use right now:

1280x720 bitrate varies, usually 1500-2500 kbit/s (no transcoding)
    960x540 bitrate 1250 kbit/s
    640x360 bitrate 800 kbit/s

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #10
    Hehe OK what's your connection? I'm trying to set this up so it works for everyone. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)