General Religion & Philosophy Discussion Thread (3 Viewers)

Apr 15, 2006
This thread was overdue ever since some of the discussions in the 'Does God Exist?' thread deviated way off from the topic, and some members like AC complained about it and brought an end to it. Hope this thread won't have such limitations. Let's get started!

No that's the point so the truth can be discerned and the heresy can be spotted.
Could you elaborate, AC? I'm not quite sure what you mean here. How can a clear and unambiguous explanation of the truth lead to heresy?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Sheik Yerbouti
Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #6
    But it's not, atheism is the rejection of belief. You seem quite unsure about your own dogma.

They are closer agonistic to atheism as while it's not that they need more evidence to change their views, they need more years and intelligence/experience to change their views as they haven't rejected anything yet.
    It's definition, not dogma, you idiot! :sergio:

They are NOT closer to agnosticism. They've not come to the conclusion that the truth of the proposition of god is unknowable. Therefore, at BEST, they're undecided. But since they lack a belief that "god exists", they are atheist also.

Also, religious dogma prevents exactly what you describe children should do here. It indoctrinates children with ONE religion and the belief in ONE god. As evidenced by your scriptures, it also instructs them to reject all other gods, thereby denying the possibility of assessing all the religions and coming to a more informed conclusion. No religious family ever brings up their children shielded from religion, and only introduces religion when they reach maturity. If they did that, then their faith would be in jeopardy of being rejected due to human reasoning.

And you can prove that how? Please do explain.
    I'm only making an observation. If you rely on a book whose true meaning might be lost due to interpretations of ambiguous verses, then you're not relying on a very good thing.

---------- Post added 12.08.2012 at 22:06 ----------

Open minded you say.
    Indeed. Show me evidence and I will change my mind. I cannot get more open than that without becoming gullible.

---------- Post added 12.08.2012 at 22:07 ----------

Not for someone that thinks they are 100% certain.
    I never made that claim. You only assumed I think that.

When I get back later tonight
    Aaight.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
    Jul 11, 2011
    It's definition, not dogma, you idiot! :sergio:
    No, it's not definition. Don't call me an idiot, makes you seem desperate to be right. Atheism is disbelieving. Stop fucking arguing this FFS. If you can't even agree over a dictionary definition then you have some serious issues you need to get checked out. I mean seriously, every single definition about atheism says it's disbelieving and yet you need to argue over fact. wtf man?

ATHEIST:
    -One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

-a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

-Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities

Top 3 definitions off wiki/dictionaries off google.

They are NOT closer to agnosticism. They've not come to the conclusion that the truth of the proposition of god is unknowable. Therefore, at BEST, they're undecided. But since they lack a belief that "god exists", they are atheist also.
    Again, no rejection of belief.

Also, religious dogma prevents exactly what you describe children should do here. It indoctrinates children with ONE religion and the belief in ONE god. As evidenced by your scriptures, it also instructs them to reject all other gods, thereby denying the possibility of assessing all the religions and coming to a more informed conclusion. No religious family ever brings up their children shielded from religion, and only introduces religion when they reach maturity. If they did that, then their faith would be in jeopardy of being rejected due to human reasoning.
    I don't know what you're saying here but I'm saying you can bring up a child as either religious/athiest or not put any ideas or beliefs in their head.

I'm only making an observation. If you rely on a book whose true meaning might be lost due to interpretations of ambiguous verses, then you're not relying on a very good thing.
    No, because the meaning is still there. It's not ambiguous at all, the only thing not being believed are things like men living to hundreds and hundreds of years and god smiting the entire earth.

Indeed. Show me evidence and I will change my mind. I cannot get more open than that without becoming gullible.
    Sheik, unless the second coming of Jesus turned up to your house and turned your water into wine nothing would change your mind. And also, you would be agnostic and not an atheist if you were really open minded.

I never made that claim. You only assumed I think that.
    For one of the top posters in the religion thread it certainly seems as though you think you are certain on your 'beliefs'.

Mar 9, 2006
    ATHEIST:

-Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities

Wrong wrong and wrong

OP
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #9
    No, it's not definition. Don't call me an idiot, makes you seem desperate to be right. Atheism is disbelieving. Stop fucking arguing this FFS. If you can't even agree over a dictionary definition then you have some serious issues you need to get checked out. I mean seriously, every single definition about atheism says it's disbelieving and yet you need to argue over fact. wtf man?

ATHEIST:

Top 3 definitions off wiki/dictionaries off google.

Again, no rejection of belief.
    I'm speaking to a fuckin' wall here! :sergio:

I don't know what you're saying here but I'm saying you can bring up a child as either religious/athiest or not put any ideas or beliefs in their head.
    What I'm saying is that religious people cannot refrain from doing the bolded part. You stuff it down their throat so much that they believe what they've been brainwashed into believing, and reject all other religions without even knowing about it. I've never heard of a religious family who kept their religion away from their children till they were old enough to make an informed decision about it. NEVER!

No, because the meaning is still there. It's not ambiguous at all, the only thing not being believed are things like men living to hundreds and hundreds of years and god smiting the entire earth.
    :rofl: Yeah, and the earth is flat!

Sheik, unless the second coming of Jesus turned up to your house and turned your water into wine nothing would change your mind. And also, you would be agnostic and not an atheist if you were really open minded.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Sorry.

Go look up your dictionaries again reg. agnosticism. I don't think that the truth about god is unknowable.

For one of the top posters in the religion thread it certainly seems as though you think you are certain on your 'beliefs'.
    You're mistaking the fervent defence of my beliefs as the certitude of it. Incorrect.

Mar 9, 2006
    @YasoR17 @Cheesio

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."
    Qur'an 4:34

YUSUFALI: Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.
    PICKTHAL: Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.
    SHAKIR: Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

Explain this, muslims. (of course you can say that the translators of quran were wrong bla bla bla)

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    The only thing more tedious than religion is these threads.
    Word. I think people have already read too much of me mocking the Sheik's "we're different and special from the rest of those religious clowns because we're the believers of disbelief". :D

OP
    Sheik Yerbouti
    Apr 15, 2006
  • Thread Starter #17
    Word. I think people have already read too much of me mocking the Sheik's "we're different and special from the rest of those religious clowns because we're the believers of disbelief". :D
    Petulant fool! All you do is mock and ridicule atheists. You're no better than JuveRus! :stuckup:

:D

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
    Jun 9, 2011
    Does finding life on Mars affect religion? And if so, how?
    no it doesnt why would it Scripture never said we were the only planet with life.
    PS I will not respond to anyone with angst and mockery in their posts even if its friends like Sheik. If the debate stays civil and adult I will answer the questions the best to my ability, i'm not a prophet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)