Anyone still remember Linux? (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Saw these two articles today:
http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...5280?artc_pg=1
http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...or-2011-704584

I've been feeling fairly pessimistic about the desktop lately, I'm still on ubu 11.04 with gnome2 cause I can't stand Unity and I gave up on KDE a long time ago.

Maybe it's time to do some exploration again though. Linus gave gnome3 such a bad review recently that I won't even bother, I'll just assume it's not gonna be usable to me for a good while yet.

I know we have a lot of Minters though. They have two variants now, right? MATE which is Gnome2 evolving and Cinnamon is a similar Gnome3 based effort.

Opinions?

Buy on AliExpress.com

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
I used Mint more than a year and half ago. While it was good, it wasn't much ahead of the Ubuntu release of that time. Not really sure how it is now... I should probably try it myself, if I can get some time from some where...

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #5
    When I post in this thread I don't see it show up in the latest posts, so I guess noone is likely to see it.

Anyway, I'm reticent about hosing my system cause I use it for work. Running ubu 11.04 on both laptops, but now I don't need more than one for work so on the other I might experiment a bit.

Sheik, why not? Was Windows so amazing you had to go back?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    I'm checking out ubu 12.04 + gnome3 now. It's not bad, quite visually appealing. But it's a bit sluggish on my box, I assume that's because it takes a fancier video card to make it as responsive as a plain old 2D based desktop.

Some things in ubuntu have improved, like the fonts have become really nice.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
    12.04 is better than 11.10 :agree: I still don't like a few thing like the home menu which opens up in your face.

Apr 15, 2006
    Sheik, why not? Was Windows so amazing you had to go back?
    It has more to do with my lifestyle than my preference. In the past year or so, I've spent more time on my work laptop running Win 7(yes, even at home) than my home PC. Even more so, I'm spending more time on my phone to browse through Twitter, the Tuz and almost everything else. I just haven't bothered to wipe out Win 7, install Linux and start using it on my home PC. I might do it after I get more free time(after my resignation). But till then, I just don't have a need for Linux.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I have been on Linux Mint 10 ever since they installed LM 11, I ran the Live CD and gave up on it. I gave LM12 a chance but failed again. I would also like something new but not like the new versions that are coming out.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
    I will have to install a new version on Linux, since my current Ubuntu installation is unable to update for some odd reason. Since I don't have the time to troubleshoot, the easiest way would be to reinstall. @Martin, what machine are you running LM12 KDE on?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #13
    I will have to install a new version on Linux, since my current Ubuntu installation is unable to update for some odd reason. Since I don't have the time to troubleshoot, the easiest way would be to reinstall. @Martin, what machine are you running LM12 KDE on?
    3 year old Toshiba laptop. KDE is way less resource heavy than Unity or Gnome3, because if it doesn't detect a high performance video card it just reduces the number of animations and still works fine.

I tried Gnome3 and even quite liked the look of it but the system was 5x less responsive.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
    3 year old Toshiba laptop. KDE is way less resource heavy than Unity or Gnome3, because if it doesn't detect a high performance video card it just reduces the number of animations and still works fine.

I tried Gnome3 and even quite liked the look of it but the system was 5x less responsive.
    Cool. I will try that when I get the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)