Speeding things up at the forum (1 Viewer)

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
I thought it was time for some upgrading and optimization. The big difference here is Nginx, you should notice that the pages load much faster now since most of the data is cached.

Added since before:

* Cache system using XCache v1.3.2
* Compressing pages with mod_deflate

What I've done so far:

* Upgraded to PHP 5.3.10 (latest)
* Upgraded GD-library (latest)
* Apache with reverse proxy Nginx (Major speed increase)
* Sphinx Search (Major speed increase)

Planning to do:

* Activate CSS Sprites
* CSS files stored as files - done!
* Compressing Javascript
* Compressing CSS

So we're still using Apache as normally but all static pages are served through Nginx.
ginx is a free, open-source, high-performance HTTP server and reverse proxy, as well as an IMAP/POP3 proxy server. Igor Sysoev started development of Nginx in 2002, with the first public release in 2004. Nginx now hosts nearly 12.18% (22.2M) of active sites across all domains. Nginx is known for its high performance, stability, rich feature set, simple configuration, and low resource consumption.

Nginx is one of a handful of servers written to address the C10K problem. Unlike traditional servers, Nginx doesn't rely on threads to handle requests. Instead it uses a much more scalable event-driven (asynchronous) architecture. This architecture uses small, but more importantly, predictable amounts of memory under load.
Even if you don't expect to handle thousands of simultaneous requests, you can still benefit from Nginx's high-performance and small memory footprint. Nginx scales in all directions: from the smallest VPS all the way up to clusters of servers.

Nginx powers several high-visibility sites, such as WordPress, Hulu, Github, Ohloh, SourceForge, WhitePages and TorrentReactor.​

http://wiki.nginx.org/Main

Buy on AliExpress.com

Attachments

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Thanks!

I also wondered if there were some database indexes that need to be added/updated. The behavior seems a bit more server-side-generated than client-side-driven slowness.

Checking the system's slow query log (if it's MySQL) can help.

OP
Marty

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    Thanks!

I also wondered if there were some database indexes that need to be added/updated. The behavior seems a bit more server-side-generated than client-side-driven slowness.

Checking the system's slow query log (if it's MySQL) can help.
    Thanks :) Yeah I've been looking at the slow query log but there are no slow queries.

According to my research what's causing most of the server load are the search queries, there are constantly pretty hefty search queries going on (I check this with mytop)

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Thanks :) Yeah I've been looking at the slow query log but there are no slow queries.

According to my research what's causing most of the server load are the search queries, there are constantly pretty hefty search queries going on (I check this with mytop)
    Interesting. Wonder if we need to cover the db with a more robust db index for searching, etc.

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #8
    Hehe don't worry, just testing a few things. Tried enabling CSS as files, would speed things up. But it didn't quite work out yet.

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #12
    Melo: Hehe no worries :D

CSS files stored as files instead of database now, should help a little.

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    What more "gadgets" can you put? I love the new stuff. :D

Is there a way we can ip ban some people so we can't bother you with this now?

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #16
    * Added compressing of Javascript
    * Added compressing of CSS

What more "gadgets" can you put? I love the new stuff. :D

Is there a way we can ip ban some people so we can't bother you with this now?
    IP banning can only be done from the Admin CP :(

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #18
    That's fine, we don't have new Alvins yet.
    Hehe :D

Hmm btw what would you guys think of an Ajax feature for the Live thread (for the live matches). So that it updates the thread without you having to refresh.

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    Hehe :D

Hmm btw what would you guys think of an Ajax feature for the Live thread (for the live matches). So that it updates the thread without you having to refresh.
    if you add it to my LIVE mercato thread 2 times a year why not? :p

It sounds good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)