Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009

Full name Leandro Damião da Silva
dos Santos[1]
Date of birth 22 July 1989 (1989-07-22) (age 22)[2]
Place of birth Jardim Alegre, Brazil
Height 1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)[3]
Playing position Striker

Leandro Damião da Silva dos Santos (born 22 July 1989), commonly known as Leandro Damião, is a Brazilian footballer who plays as a striker for Campeonato Brasileiro Série A club Internacional. He has been capped at international level by Brazil.

Club careerDamião began his career as a midfielder, playing for local teams in Jardim Alegre. He had unsuccessful trials with XV de Outubro and Atlético Ibirama before joining Atlético Tubarão. "When I went to Ibirama a lot of people said I wasn’t good enough," he said. "I had an awful lot of problems to face and I nearly gave up football to go and help my family." During his time with Atlético Tubarão he established himself in the team, having moved into a more advanced position as a striker, and was given a second chance by Atlético Ibirama in 2009. Having scored eight goals in the Santa Catarina state championship, Damião was transferred to Internacional where he won three titles with the club's under-20 side and earned a call-up to the B team. He scored twice in his Campeonato Gaúcho debut and was then called up to the first team for their 2010 Copa Libertadores campaign. Damião won his first major title in August 2010 when he helped Internacional defeat Guadalajara in the Copa Libertadores Finals. He scored the club's second goal in their second leg victory in Porto Alegre to win the competition 5–3 on aggregate.

International careerHe was given his first call-up to the Brazil national team in March 2011 for the friendly against Scotland after Alexandre Pato withdrew from the squad due to injury. "I'm taking advantage of the circumstances to summon a player who has been playing well with Internacional and is young enough to play in the Olympics," said head coach Mano Menezes. He won his first cap in the match at the Emirates Stadium in London, which Brazil won 2–0. Damião scored his first goal for Brazil in a 1–0 friendly win against Ghana on 5 September at Craven Cottage.

A few reports knocking around the net of our interest in Leandro...suddenly gaining wind in their sails due to Paratici's alleged trip to Brazil (which could be to do business with any number of players), also due to our confirmed interest in the player from a few months back...which Sky and Gazzetta confirmed.

'La Juventus ha messo nel mirino Leandro Damiao (22), attaccante dell'Internacional e appetito dai maggior club europei. Beppe Marotta sarebbe disposto a offrire 20 milioni per acquistare uno dei migliori talenti verdeoro.' tuttojuve

His goalscoring rate is brilliant, and take a gander at this--->

I doubt we will get him...but then again, City have their strikers, so do Madrid, and Man U...how about Barca???are they in need of a striker??? That would leave us duelling with Inter and Milan, perhaps Munich???? I doubt chelsea are likely to spend big on another goalscorer, so soon after spunking so much on Torres. Against any italian team, if we are still looking good for a top three finish come january, or better still May, we CAn start to dream of attracting some of the world's best talent as we used to.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah, he has that "instinct". You should see his goal against Ghana in a recent friendly-game. The way he starts and times his run, his first touch and the way he finishes off that move. Just, wow.

I'd love to have him at the club, but honestly I think he's just the type of player Milan would want, and if they do, I think they're gonna get him.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I read that he was leaning toward staying in Brazil ala Neymar. Though it could just be a rumor to raise his price. Make him "more wanted".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)