Mozilla Firefox or Opera, choose your browser. (3 Viewers)

I use...

• I'm awesome like icεmαή, Sheik and V so I use Opera

• I'm a geek like Martin and JCK so I use Mozilla Firefox

• I like following trends, so I use Chrome

• I suck. So I use IE.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
First of all, why am I writing this? Well, for one thing to show that open source software can be excellent, just as good and better than commercial alternatives. The problem is there aren't that many open source programs that can measure up to the top class commercial stuff, but this is to show they do exist.

Mozilla vs Internet Explorer

Why switch?
Because Mozilla is a very well suited alternative, convenient for IE converts and superior in certain fields, it's just better quality. The key point here is convenience, other browsers, like Opera, are competitive but switching to them means giving up some of the things you are used to in IE. And once you learn to know something, few people want to switch. That is where Mozilla comes in. I have used IE for many years myself, since version 4 and I've seen other browsers emerge and even though I thought they were better I didn't switch because I was comfortable in the environment of IE, it felt like home. Now I've used Mozilla for 6 months and the transition was completely painless.

Price
Moz: Free.
IE: By paying for Windows, you already paid for IE.

Rendering
Equal, both browsers render pages quickly and without mistakes, pages usually look exactly the same in both.

Moz: 3
IE: 3

Compatibility
Using Mozilla, you will come across one page in 100 that doesn't render correctly. Why is that? Because Mozilla follows web standards agreed upon, IE doesn't. Before we had the world wide web, ie. the protocol that gives us web pages, someone had to invent it. And because different parties usually have different views and interests, the standard procedure is to call a consortium and hammer out the details, finally publish that agreement as a standard. Mozilla follows that standard to the letter, for anyone building web pages, his pages will look 100% correct as long as he goes by the rules (the standard). That isn't necessarily true for IE, in fact some pages will not display correctly in Mozilla because they have been constructed to look correct in IE. So the fault is clearly with IE but Mozilla bears the consequence of that.

Moz: 2

Speed
It's simple, IE is faster than Mozilla. The reason is very simple as well, IE is built right into Windows (we'll look at some consequences of this later). IE uses parts of Windows to operate. It is also quite impossible to remove IE from a Windows version any later than 2000. Mozilla, on the other hand, is completely independent, and thus is a little slower. On my computer, however, I don't see a difference.

Moz: 2

Security
What do you mean security, it's a web browser, there are no security concerns, are there? Wrong. With the advancement of the internet, new technologies are used to display web pages all the time. When you browse a web page, your computer downloads countless files and opens them in order to display them on the page. These files could very well include viruses or other harmful stuff. Because IE is built directly into Windows, in many cases the vulnerabilities of Windows directly influence IE. If you look for announcements on security holes in Windows, you will see a lot of them are related to IE. In fact, there have been web pages built so that all you have to do is connect to the page and it will install a virus on your computer. [As I digress, here's a little note on viruses.. they come in all shapes and sizes, not every virus will delete everything on your computer, some of them will lurk in the background and do various other things (like slow down your computer). The lesson is, just because your computer seems to work as it should, it doesn't mean you are virus free, always use an up to date virus scanner.] Mozilla, as a standalone program, is a lot less vulnerable because it doesn't "plug into" Windows.

IE: 0

Pop ups
Here's where you get your money back (figuratively speaking). Does IE have any kind of pop up killer functions? No, not by a long shot. If you want to get rid of the pop ups you have to install 3rd party software which is usually buggy and doesn't work very well, plus it's another program running on your computer needlessly. Mozilla has a built in function to block pop up windows, it will even ask you if you want to turn it on the first time it encounters a pop up. It also gives an option not to block all popups, just the ones you don't want. So if you click on a link and that triggers a popup, it will pop up because you clicked, but it will not pop up by itself. Now you can surf soccerage.com and juventus.com without dealing with the painful popups.

Bookmarks
You could say it's a matter of preference, but I definitely prefer Mozilla's bookmark system. First of all, it's stored as one file, as opposed to IE's one file for each bookmark. It's also easier to keep track of and the bookmark window shows up on the left side if you want it to.

IE: 2

Features
Tabbed browsing is very handy, you keep your open pages in a single window rather than having lots of them clutter your task bar. You can also not use it if you prefer multiple windows.

The password manager will store passwords for you, to log into a forum or email account. I believe IE has some sort of feature like this as well.

Cookie manager, manage your cookies in the browser instead of trying to figure out where they are stored if you use IE.

Download manager. Mozilla's download manager starts downloading the file even before you choose the location, so that once the progress window comes up, the download is already underway.

Script control, Mozilla lets you decide what scripts on pages are allowed to do, you can turn the permissions on or off as you like, for instance hiding the status bar, resizing windows etc.

Moz: 5
IE: 1

Themes
Do you think the default Mozilla theme is ugly? Change it, the gui is skinnable. In the Preferences, click the "get more themes" link and choose the theme you want. If you go to http://www.mozdev.org/redirect/themes/, you just click install and the theme will install by itself. Is IE skinnable without any 3rd party extensions? Not last time I checked.

Plug ins
The downside to other browsers in the past was that they didn't really support plug ins adequately. Well those days are over, you can use flash, shockwave, quicktime and various other plug ins seamlessly in Mozilla.

Customizability
What can you customize in IE? In my experience, not much, at least without hacking the registry. Mozilla lets you customize a great deal of your browsing experience. Adding to the options in the Preferences, enter "about:config" in the address bar and you can access a long list of settings.

IE: 1

Final result:
Mozilla 30
Internet Explorer 16

Not bad, huh? But that's not all, most of all Mozilla is friendly to the IE user and offers some things IE doesn't. Imagine this scenario.. you are writing a long post and when you click "submit", you get a white page with a connection error. Has this ever happened to you? So obviously you don't want to lose all the hard work, you click "back" and see a blank form, IE has erased your text. I have done this a few times and it makes me want to physically hurt someone. Do the same in Mozilla and you will find out Mozilla saved the text, it's still there.

Apart from the browser, however, Mozilla gives you a decent mail program if you're in the mood for a change, and a chat client. You can choose not to install these programs if you want to do that.

System Requirements
* Windows 95, 98, or 98SE, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
* Intel pentium class processor (233 MHz or faster recommended)
* 64 MB RAM
* 26 MB of free hard disk space

Finally, if you are thinking "I would like to try Mozilla but my computer isn't fast enough", despair not. The answer is Mozilla Firebird, a cut down version of the real Mozilla, using much of the same code (I couldn't find the system requirements for it). It's much faster and has just about everything Mozilla has.

Links
-> Mozilla
-> Why Mozilla Firebird is great

>> Download Mozilla 1.4 for Windows
>> Download Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1 for Windows

Mozilla versions for Linux and MacOS X are also available.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Interesting..I'll have to pass this on to my dad. None of us are a fan of IE thats for sure.

iserab

Aug 7, 2003
Agreed on most of your points, there is no comparison but one thing...the memory leaks are killing my system, on a windows machine the tools to deal with that are not exactly reliable.

What a way to start posting here

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by iserab ] ++

:howler: Welcome anyway :D

Martin,
Thanks for the excellent post/review. :thumb:
I will try Mozilla now. I've been thinking about switching browsers anyway, and this Mozilla sounds great.

NOTE: If I don't like it, I will sue you for wasting my time :fero: Damn... I forgot, this is not America. :D

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
I downloaded it and I must say... it's pretty good. Though there is one little thing that bugs me. Mozilla does not like my mouse! :D You know the scroll-roller-thingy? I can of course scroll the pages with it, but not the fast way. When I press it down, nothing happens in Mozilla... kinda annoying, cuz I use that alot. Especially here in the forums.

One more thing, I have already noticed a few sites that doesn't look quite the same. But no biggy, just small things.

Oh yeah... one more thing :D Mozilla does not open the notepad when I ask to view the source of some page. It uses some weird crappy looking thingy. I want the notepad!!! :D

lol... just beothing about the small faults :D

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by iserab ] ++
    Agreed on most of your points, there is no comparison but one thing...the memory leaks are killing my system, on a windows machine the tools to deal with that are not exactly reliable.

Well I don't quite understand your point in context to the browser issue, isn't that more of a OS problem?

++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++
    I downloaded it and I must say... it's pretty good. Though there is one little thing that bugs me. Mozilla does not like my mouse! :D You know the scroll-roller-thingy? I can of course scroll the pages with it, but not the fast way. When I press it down, nothing happens in Mozilla... kinda annoying, cuz I use that alot. Especially here in the forums.
    To the best of my knowledge, clicking the wheel doesn't work but I can live without it. However you can hack the wheel behavior in Edit > Prefs > Advanced > Mouse wheel :)

++ [ originally posted by Kaliman ] ++
    Oh yeah... one more thing :D Mozilla does not open the notepad when I ask to view the source of some page. It uses some weird crappy looking thingy. I want the notepad!!! :D
    Yeah, I see what you mean, I would much rather use the pre-civilization notepad which in its improved version shipped with Windows XP even supports files >64kb instead of a special window that gives me syntax highlighting, I totally agree. :D:p

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    To the best of my knowledge, clicking the wheel doesn't work but I can live without it. However you can hack the wheel behavior in Edit > Prefs > Advanced > Mouse wheel :)
    Ok, cool.... but not quite the same. Well I guess I just have to get used to it.

Yeah, I see what you mean, I would much rather use the pre-civilization notepad which in its improved version shipped with Windows XP even supports files >64kb instead of a special window that gives me syntax highlighting, I totally agree. :D:p
    Syntax Highlighting :party: Who needs those disco lights anyway? :dontcare:

I happen to like the notepad. And if nerds think that I'm a freak, so be it :p

iserab

Aug 7, 2003

Well I don't quite understand your point in context to the browser issue, isn't that more of a OS problem?
    Not in this case actually, you know when one window, or instance is closed memory is not properly dumped, it might be more 'visible' on one OS more than the other because of the built-in memory management capabilities of the OS but Mozilla code in general doesn't doesn't do a good job releasing memory

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #9
    Right, I see your point. Well I wasn't aware of that, in any case I haven't really had problems with it.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    How much are Mozilla paying you Martin? ;)

After reading your review I thought about trying it, but I can't live without the mouse wheel.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #11
    What are you crazy? Noone would give up the mouse wheel. The wheel works and you can even customize it, what doesn't is the scroller thing that awakens when you click on the wheel in IE.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    What are you crazy? Noone would give up the mouse wheel. The wheel works and you can even customize it, what doesn't is the scroller thing that awakens when you click on the wheel in IE.
    Oh, sorry, my bad, I was kinda surprised how easy people were giving up their mouse wheels here.
    I'll check it out then, but it better be good goddamit!! :fero: :D

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    As far as I see Mozilla is pretty much the same like Netscape Navigator, which I'm using (dont know about the open source tho).

Me thinks Netscape 7.1 is faster than IE, it has the popup blocker thingy, the bookmarks on the left side, a pretty sleek look, cookie manager, password manager, download manager and I dont know what else... Its a bit tougher for the system (uses more resources) but I think its worth it. Oh, and you can use the arrows

I downloaded it free (25 MB) after my IE 6 started working like a slow-ass turtle going to the dentist for drilling (meaning it's realyyyyyyyy slow).:D

It displays some rare (<5%) pages differently (like when you open a page for posting a new reply in a certain Juventuz forum :groan:. The box where you enter the text is 1 or 2 inches wider in IE 6).

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #14
    Goat, I didn't think of mentioning it at first as I didn't think it would be relevant but now that you've brought it up... Netscape is based on Mozilla/Gecko, it uses the exact same engine and most of the functions are exactly the same. So there. :)

And the textarea thing annoys me as well, I'll see if there's anything I can do about it on the forum pages.

EDIT: the textarea bug in your screenshot is now fixed :)

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #16
    The thing with Netscape is kinda complicated. AOL pushed Netscape forward, trying to win ground on Microsoft with IE. But then AOL pulled out (under MS pressure I think) and pulled the plug on Netscape, as far as I know Netscape is now dead. Mozilla, however, is doing very well as an open sources project. In any case I prefer it to Netscape, whose profile was more commercial, like they would make you register a Netscape/AOL account the first time you start it and so on.

iserab

Aug 7, 2003
    Yep as far as I know all Netscape developers were let go by AOL...its gone and from my system too:D I will use all others in rotation now:eek: Mozilla, Opera, Firebird

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    i have a question... ive read that some web pages make netscape crash because netscape doesnt allow certain stuff (like marquee text). will this happen with mozilla?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #19
    In general terms, everything that happens to Netscape will happen to Mozilla but it depends on the version and if the bug you mentioned (which I've never heard about) was/is serious then I'm positive it will be/has been fixed very quickly. I have never had any problems with Mozilla and I've been using it for several months. Do you have an example of a page that makes Netscape crash?

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    i dont have one but ive read on web sites stuff like "this page will make netscape crash" and ive read about that marquee thing too. but yeah maybe youre right and it has been fixed. oh and another question sorry to bother you, if i get mozilla will i have to install shockwave/flash or it already comes with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)