Where are you guys? (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
The response to the course so far has been rather modest. All you people who said you wanted to participate and who sent me PMs saying you're excited, where are you?

So far we have heard mostly from Romance people, those guys who speak Spanish, Romanian etc, they have an easier start.

But where is Sheik, Aaron, Melo and everyone else? Is the course too hard to follow? Is it not what you expected? Then tell us. Kate and I are here, we can do something about it. :)

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I think the course is really good however I am starting French today so I don't think I can follow two languages at the same time.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Even though this would be a refresher for me, I could use it. I'm behind.

And how do you say "gays and cuck" in Italian again? :p

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think the big thing is time commitments. Some students may have a different pace than others. I think the resource is more valuable if students can pick up and proceed at whatever pace works for them, meaning the comment threads for each lesson may be completely asynchronous.

If the "mods" can support a model like that, I think the uptake would be better. Though at some level, you do need people to knuckle down and have the discipline to do the work. ;)

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Problem with me is definitely time here.

I read through both lessons, and I understood most of what I read without looking at the English versions. My problem is more when I have to write or speak the language. I guess that comes with practice.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #14
    I think the big thing is time commitments. Some students may have a different pace than others. I think the resource is more valuable if students can pick up and proceed at whatever pace works for them, meaning the comment threads for each lesson may be completely asynchronous.

If the "mods" can support a model like that, I think the uptake would be better. Though at some level, you do need people to knuckle down and have the discipline to do the work. ;)
    I'm totally open to keeping the various threads going for as long as people want to post there, so that's cool :)

But if people have trouble getting into it, like Melo signaled, it'd be good to find out about it.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    I think the course is really good however I am starting French today so I don't think I can follow two languages at the same time.
    I am also (seriously) considering learning one more language, as I'm planning to transfer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in a year or two (dream job, wanna be a diplomat). Long story short, I stopped on Spanish - basing my decision on the fact that a loot of people speak it, I consider it easy, already have some knowledge of it, and more importantly I feel it will make me kinda know/understand Italian, Portuguese and French as well. Which would be just orgasmo.

Is there particular reason u picked French? Besides simple sympathy towards the lingo?

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    I'm going through the lessons and exercise as and when I get time... Even though I don't post in the threads, which I eventually will when I get the time...

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
    Jun 5, 2010
    i find it kinda hard too martin
    was excepting we would start with what your name and so on
    sorry maybe I am the only one wanting it that way.
    I really like to follow it but find it kinda hard to understand a thing
    like that thing dusan write I didn't get a thing

Kate

Feb 7, 2011

There is also the issue of students having different ability levels and learning styles. I do think that the course is easier for people who have studied a second language independently before and who don't therefore need as much guidance, whereas those who need sort of "hands on" work get left behind. But I am not entirely sure which way would be best to try and get as many involved as possible.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Here's my stance on this. I don't have much time really so I'll try to keep it short.

This method does look effective, IMO. On the other hand, I do understand why people complain about it as it does look a bit hard. Considering that I've followed Italian sites trying to read some news and post it here, watched some streams with Italian commentator etc. I'd say I have a better starting point than some here. On the other hand, that better ground is like 5-10% more, so people shouldn't think of me as an expert because I'm not one.

The thing is, I can understand a pretty big part of the conversation. I play the video and read the lines in Italian, what's written below. Based on a topic I'd say I understand like 70-80% of it. After that I read the English version and see what were those words confusing me to begin with. When it comes to that dialog, Janna, you shouldn't worry about it. I mean, I was most copying Martin's text and changing some parts where I have used online dictionary for the other half, trying to make a correct sentence. Hell, sometimes I write what I think it should be correct and guess what, I made tons of mistakes. Like Klin said, I find it very hard to step on another level and try to write something myself, let alone speak the same. If I had to write a short story I'd have to use dictionary for 95% of it, it's how weak I am. But I just try, no need to think I'm somehow ahead of you by miles, I just try.

It would be much easier for me if I had much time. There's a lot of stuff going on in my life right now and I'm very nervous and short on time. I have a lot of drama and exams coming up. As for the course itself, I like it and I find it very useful. So I can only say thanks to Martin and Kate for doing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)