Scolari Quits (1 Viewer)

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
RIO DE JANEIRO, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, who led his country to their fifth World Cup win in June, resigned on Friday and said he wanted to coach in Europe.

The man known as Big Phil, who has collected titles throughout his successful though often controversial career, then promised that any club which employed him would be rewarded with victories.

'I would like to work in Europe, it's one of my targets,' he said.

'I want to say that any club which hires me will become winners,' he told a news conference. 'And if they are already winners, then they will win even more.'

Scolari, who performed an astonishing transformation on the side he took charge of 14 months ago, said he wanted to dedicate more time to his family.

Scolari took over with Brazil at one of the lowest ebbs in their history and led them to the sport's most coveted prize in little over a year.

In his early days, he had a reputation for being an exponent of the game's ugly side but by the World Cup he was recognised as a cunning, pragmatic coach who made the most of Brazil's natural talent.

Scolari was at pains to point out that money had not been an object.

'In all these 14 months, myself and the president have only talked about money once,' he said.

'It would not be appropriate for me to ask for more money at a time when the country is going through so many difficulties.'

Scolari said Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) president Ricardo Teixeira had made a last-gasp effort to persuade him to stay on.

'At this moment, I would like to thank the president and tell you that I am no longer the coach of the Brazil team,' he said. 'It was a conversation from friend to friend.'

He added: 'It was gratifying that he wanted me to stay but I have a lot of private things to resolve and I would like to dedicate more time to my family.

'The final decision was taken this afternoon. This is a difficult and sad moment, but it's finished.'

Scolari remembered his three immediate predecessors, Vanderlei Luxemburgo, Emerson Leao and Candinho. The first two were sacked amid poor results while Candinho was in charge for one game on a caretaker basis.

'We have four world champion coaches,' said Scolari, who also spoke of the importance of turning his squad into a family.

'I had to play the role of a demanding father, who called his son's attention when he did something right. I had 24 sons in the World Cup.'

---------------------------------------------
yippie!!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)