News of the World shutting down (1 Viewer)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
It's the same company that owns The Sun, btw.

thesunonsunday.co.uk and thesunonsunday.com have just been registered as domains. They'll return and hopefully sully The Sun's name further.

10 of their execs have also been arrested.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
They are the biggest UK newspapers?

Wow, if they suck so much I can't imagine how the rest looks like.
Biggest doesn't mean best, just most popular. The NOTW actually had some really good journalists, but are scum. On top of their trash stories (this is what Sunday papers do in the UK):

They hacked the phone of a schoolgirl who was missing and later was found dead, even deleted some of her text messages to make room for others.
They hacked many celebrities phones.
They hacked the phones of relatives of soldiers who died in Iraq and Afghanistan.
They hacked the phones of relatives of those who died in the 07/07/05 bombings.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
This is nothing more than a rebranding exercise.

I hope no-one is folled into thinking this actually changes anything.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Actually, it's worse than just a rebranding:

There are a bunch of people who had nothing to do with the phone hacking who will lose their job because of this, while the person who was editor of the NotW when it was happening now has a different role within News International, so will probably keep her job.

Don't suppose the Tory cunts will bother to reconsider the BSkyB takeover of SKY as a result of this utterly despicable behavious. Clearly they are the sort of people who should be allowed to increase the amount of control they have over the media in Britain.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
Newspapers and mags blow. Anyone that reads papers needs to go live in Afghanistan

I hate techn-adverse people

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Newspapers and mags blow. Anyone that reads papers needs to go live in Afghanistan

I hate techn-adverse people
What if you read the online edition of a paper?

Seems The Sun had just as many hacks out on people in that period (2002-2006) but the real controversy was left to NOTW.
I'd have been surprised if that wasn't the case, since they are both under the same ownership.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Guardian and Times tabloid version FTW, Internet new blows big time.

Nothing quite like sitting with a cup of tea while your underpants reading the paper. It's the ritual as well that's why Print media didn't die.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Some The Sun sub-editors have gone on strike now because of the NOTW redundancies. Less tabloid crap to infest the population.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)