under 21 championship (1 Viewer)

OP
Bezzy

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
  • Thread Starter #8
    almost time for
    Spain De Gea; Montoya, Botía, Domínguez, Didac; Javi Martínez, Ander Herrera, Thiago, Jeffren; Mata and Adrián.
    vs
    England Fielding; Walker, Jones, Smalling, Bertrand; Henderson, Mancienne, Cleverley; Sturridge, Rose and Welbeck

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I wouldnt say snuffed out, but Thiago was the least impressive of the spanish midfield trio. Martinez ran things, while Ander Herrerra impressed quite a bit too (and no, not with the handball goal). Snuffed out would be erronous, because what they snuffed out wasnt spanish midfield, which was the reason they dominated the game possession wise for 85 mins (England got excited or got into the game only at the last 5 mins). The reason they didnt go anywhere (besides settling in too much at 1-0) is as usual in these levels, or the backside of spanish footie school, they dont really have clinical edge to their attack, no real presence there. Alot of passing going nowhere with no teeth upfront.

But the domination of the play was quite obvious. How they were constantly available and open for passes with deft touches were quite a contrast, to England's version of a player looking up and having no one open to pass to, no one moving/making themselves available. It was mainly the fullbacks who had this predicament, they started things, had to run forward solo, or make random risky pass. Or give it to CB/DM who hoofed it up (poor Wellbeck and Sturridge, no real service). Which is allways the same issues with England, youth team or otherwise. So both teams flaws/football school was as obvious as usual.

But standout wise, Kyle Walker, super impressive RB. Look forward to seeing him in Spurs next season. Him and Smalling where best english players.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jan 30, 2008
    I wouldnt say snuffed out, but Thiago was the least impressive of the spanish midfield trio. Martinez ran things, while Ander Herrerra impressed quite a bit too (and no, not with the handball goal). Snuffed out would be erronous, because what they snuffed out wasnt spanish midfield, which was the reason they dominated the game possession wise for 85 mins (England got excited or got into the game only at the last 5 mins). The reason they didnt go anywhere (besides settling in too much at 1-0) is as usual in these levels, or the backside of spanish footie school, they dont really have clinical edge to their attack, no real presence there. Alot of passing going nowhere with no teeth upfront.

But the domination of the play was quite obvious. How they were constantly available and open for passes with deft touches were quite a contrast, to England's version of a player looking up and having no one open to pass to, no one moving/making themselves available. It was mainly the fullbacks who had this predicament, they started things, had to run forward solo, or make random risky pass. Or give it to CB/DM who hoofed it up (poor Wellbeck and Sturridge, no real service). Which is allways the same issues with England, youth team or otherwise. So both teams flaws/football school was as obvious as usual.

But standout wise, Kyle Walker, super impressive RB. Look forward to seeing him in Spurs next season. Him and Smalling where best english players.
    England were poor I thought. Spain controlled things without doing too much either. Boring game really.

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
    Meh, England did no shit to win/draw the game.

Dominguez, Herrera and Walker impressed me, as I didn't know them. Milan's boy was probably the worst spanish on the pitch.

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
    Meh, England did no shit to win/draw the game.

Dominguez, Herrera and Walker impressed me, as I didn't know them. Milan's boy was probably the worst spanish on the pitch.
    They had the same amount of shots on target as Spain. Did Spain not do enough either?

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
    They had the same amount of shots on target as Spain. Did Spain not do enough either?
    I couldn't care less about the amount of shots. England were controled for 85 minutes and Spain, as usual, lost themselves with passes in front of goal. That was Spain's fault, but they still had the game controlled in England's half until the last five minutes.

If it wasn't for the FBs, I guess England wouldn't even make a threat to De Gea's net.

Nicholas

Jan 30, 2008
    I couldn't care less about the amount of shots. England were controled for 85 minutes and Spain, as usual, lost themselves with passes in front of goal. That was Spain's fault, but they still had the game controlled in England's half until the last five minutes.

If it wasn't for the FBs, I guess England wouldn't even make a threat to De Gea's net.
    Ok. Possession counts for nothing if you don't create anything. Spain created very little yet controlled the game. England were controlled yet scored.

You really have no point. England were controlled possession wise? Great. What's your point? We drew after being controlled. I say that's more impressive.

People wank and get caught up over possession football yet nobody realises it's pointless having possession when you do nothing with it. Ala Arsenal.

England will get better.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah, although that's an issue for Spain rather than England. England will do as usual, go far with effective football, probably fail late, and the ultimate goal which is the future, not the present, will not change.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    The way the Spanish play football is so dull.

I will never understand why people won't criticise them for keeping possession and not even trying to make chances with it, but they will criticise a team who decides to have no possession and wants to sit deep.

Both are just defensive measures and neither are good to watch.

I was pleased England equalised (not often you'll catch me saying that) because it served Spain right for the way they played that game.

England were just a bunch of athletes with little or no intelligence or technique.

Spain are packed out with technically sound players, but lack the runners to offer any penetration.

Javi Martinez was the only player on the pitch who impressed me, but I already knew he was a solid player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)