Scommessopoli : 2009-2010 betting Scandal in Italy (yes, this again :sergio:) (3 Viewers)

Do you think Conte is guilty of knowing about match-fixing and not reporting it?

• Yes

• No

• Don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
Use this thread for news on the new scandal in Italy.

Five years after the Calciopoli scandal Italian football has been rocked by fresh controversy after police made 16 arrests as part of an investigation into an alleged betting and match-fixing ring, with current and recently retired players believed to be among the ringleaders.

Giuseppe Signori, a former Italy international and Lazio captain and one of the country's best-loved players, was among several players, executives and bookmakers arrested as part of Cremona police's Ultima Scommessa (Last Bet) investigation. Signori told Italian media: "Have some mercy. I can't say anything. I will meet my lawyer and then he'll speak for me."

The Italian football federation has promised to co-operate with the investigation, which is focusing on 17 matches in Serie B and Italian non-league, and one failed attempt at fixing a Serie A match. The six-month investigation began in response to last November's match between Paganese and Cremonese, when it was alleged players had their drinks spiked in an attempt to hamper their performance, with several falling ill during the game.

Police said the investigation had produced evidence of an organised system among former and current footballers, sports-betting operators and others to manipulate results, with bets worth tens of thousands of euros, and in some cases hundreds of thousands of euros, placed on the outcome.

Police have said that several well-known players are also being investigated, prompting allegations that the Atalanta and former Italy midfielder Cristiano Doni was among them. According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Doni helped ensure at least three goals were scored in his side's meeting with Piacenza in March this year.

According to the same source another former Italy international, Stefano Bettarini, who has a previous match-fixing conviction, and the former Como midfielder Mauro Bressan and the former Bari captain Antonio Bellavista are also under investigation.

A statement from the 38-year-old's representatives read: "Cristiano Doni, certain that he has always acted in respect of the rules, has the utmost faith in the organs of criminal and sporting justice and is sure they will prove he has absolutely nothing to do with the issues under discussion."

The Italian football federation's general director Antonello Valentini said: "The federation will cooperate with the investigation and will defend the interests of the football image as well as correctness and transparency of the football bodies.

"We trust the work that is being done by the authorities and we give our maximum cooperation but at the same time we request caution and prudence considering the delicate procedures as we await more information."

Source: The Guardian

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Fake Melo

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
  • Thread Starter #6
    As I posted in the other thread.

La Republica and Gazzetta claims that Massimo Erodiani(main man in the scandal) told the authorities that he had contact with Chievo players who convinced Milan players to let them score once and in return for Milan to score three. A lot of money was betted on this result and it payed out.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007

La Republica and Gazzetta claims that Massimo Erodiani(main man in the scandal) told the authorities that he had contact with Chievo players who convinced Milan players to let them score once and in return for Milan to score three. A lot of money was betted on this result and it payed out.
    Oh my God oh my God oh my God.
    God pleaseeeeeeeeeeee let this be true and proven.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Maybe Milan can be found guilty and Inter get another paper scudetto.
    I'll take it!
    As long as two-three other teams from top 6 are found guilty and we make the CL :p

Then again, when I think about some of the goals we conceded this year...I'm not sure anymore if it was utter incompetence by our players or big bucks in the Asian bookies :D

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006

But, as I said in the other thread, that own goal couldn't have been intentional due to the deflection right before Ibrahimovic touched it.

That, however, does not mean there wasn't an agreement between the sides as to the score.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    I'll take it!
    As long as two-three other teams from top 6 are found guilty and we make the CL :p

Then again, when I think about some of the goals we conceded this year...I'm not sure anymore if it was utter incompetence by our players or big bucks in the Asian bookies :D
    Milan will be found guilty, 'punished', allowed to play in the CL anyway...you know the rest.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    With the eye of suspicion on them the Chievo defenders do look particularly static and casual, but maybe it's just because they are bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)