The Tablet Thread (1 Viewer)

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
I know I've discussed this topic with a few members but I would like to get some more input. I initially thought that tablets were another fad like netbooks but apparently that is not the case. Basically, I would like to come to the conclusion on whether its worth getting a tablet or sticking to a laptop.

So, in the words of the great Abu

Please discuss.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Coming from a tablet owner, I thought you would actually give me some insight
Holy crap, I'm shocked you knew that. I only owned an iPad at the end of my last job about a year ago. Pre-3G iPad. What I jokingly called the iPhone Maxi.

It is a big dumb iPhone. Other tablets aren't terribly different from what I have been able to tell. They're convenient in the lightweight category, but you're only talking a small amount relative to something like a MacBook Air. And they are for consumption rather than creation -- you need a real man's keyboard for that stuff.

I think it depends on what you do with it.

OP
.zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #10
    Holy crap, I'm shocked you knew that. I only owned an iPad at the end of my last job about a year ago. Pre-3G iPad. What I jokingly called the iPhone Maxi.

It is a big dumb iPhone. Other tablets aren't terribly different from what I have been able to tell. They're convenient in the lightweight category, but you're only talking a small amount relative to something like a MacBook Air. And they are for consumption rather than creation -- you need a real man's keyboard for that stuff.

I think it depends on what you do with it.
    Yea I remember you mentioning that you had an iPad a few months back

Overall its about the functionality like you mentioned. But if the portability + function rivals my Thinkpad then that would definitely tip the scales.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    Yea I remember you mentioning that you had an iPad a few months back

Overall its about the functionality like you mentioned. But if the portability + function rivals my Thinkpad then that would definitely tip the scales.
    The only tablet I've used is the iPad, albeit for a few hours. I found it pretty useless. There's no way it could rival the Thinkpad in any way. Now, I don't know how the new tablets rank up, but I'm pretty sure that you can't really get any meaningful work done on it. You can use it to 'use' already done work, if that makes any sense. That said, I do think that the concept has some potential, more so than the netbooks and the lot we saw come and go. But until we can get much more functionality, I'd rather get a more portable laptop like the Air or the X1 over a tablet (I'm generally not concerned about size, its weight that bothers me).

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    A tablet will not replace a laptop, at least not yet. I am really waiting for the Galaxy 10.1, it looks like the best one out there. Anyway, I have decided not to buy any tablet before December.

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
    I agree with Ice. Tablets are just good as gadgets and light usage such as browsing and reading but not suitable for getting real work done.

Apr 15, 2006
    From what I've read about tablets, while the hardware is pretty impressive, the apps are lacking. At least in terms of Android tablets when compared to Android phones. I can see why one would need a tablet though. I've been spending more time on the net from my phone than my PC lately. Surely a better experience on a bigger screen will only suit such activities. If you're thinking about getting and Android tab, then wait for a few more months so that the apps quantity and quality is higher than what it currently is.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    i have been contemplating this recently. while having the PC hooked up to my TV is brilliant for watching movies,listening to tunes and streaming games it does not feel as good when posting on the forum. i have no need for a laptop and a Tablet would be ideal for chilling on the couch and browsing/fannying about but like Jack i think it may be the end of the year before i can grab one

OP
    .zero

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
  • Thread Starter #19
    i have been contemplating this recently. while having the PC hooked up to my TV is brilliant for watching movies,listening to tunes and streaming games it does not feel as good when posting on the forum. i have no need for a laptop and a Tablet would be ideal for chilling on the couch and browsing/fannying about but like Jack i think it may be the end of the year before i can grab one
    See its things like this that deter me from wanting a tab. Unless tabs will come with multiple USB ports, HDMI out ports, expandable memory, etc.. then I don't know if its worth getting one. But when they do then I would definitely think its worth it.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    connectibility should be easy,quick and seemless...this goes without saying but i don't want a laptop,i just need something for easily browsing with,playing with,etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)