South America Trip (1 Viewer)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I posted this in a few travel forums but just in case anybody can provide any feedback here:

Hey there, my buddies and I have just compiled what we think is our south american adventure, however my findings are all based on internet research and scattered accounts of people having been to one part or the other, in short we would really appreciate some feedback from people who have been on similar journeys; especially since we intend on doing a lot in a relatively really short amount of time. We booked our flight to cusco arriving early morning April 29th, and also reserved a spot on the incan trail tour for the 30th(2 days 1 night). We plan on leaving for puno at night on the 31st and check out the floating islands on lake Titicaca the next day, then catch a bus to Copacabana then another to La Paz, in hopes of arriving at La Paz on the 2nd of May and Uyuni early morning on the 4th.
From Uyuni we were told to take the jeep tour to San Pedro de Atacama which is 3 days and 2 nights(tour operators recommendations are welcome), thus getting us to San Pedro the 6th. We'd fly to Santiago the 7th, and from Santiago to Buenos Aires the 9th.
From Buenos Aires we would like to do a 3 patagonia(Ushuaia) tour(Once again recommendations are welcome) which would get us back to BA the 12th. We plan on staying in Buenos Aires till the 16th in order to attend the superclasico(if anyone has info on reputable agents for tickets please indulge us).
Early morning the 16th we fly to Bogota, and then finally on the 18th we fly back home to Chicago.

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Sounds awesome. The only thing I might do differently is swing into Uruguay for a bit. But then I know someone there. :D

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Going to visit Colombia. I'll be there for 4 weeks. Anyone from Colombia or anyone been there lately?
Would be nice to get some suggestions. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

@Zé Tahir :shifty:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Yes. Flying to Bogota in 4 days, will be there a few days and then I'll go to Medellin. After that I will decide spontaneous, which places I gonna visit, think about the north and the Carribean coast...
Exciting. Do you speak Spanish? Do you visit Medellin because of Narcos?

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Exciting. Do you speak Spanish? Do you visit Medellin because of Narcos?
Yes, I speak spanish. I’ve been to Argentina and Uruguay 4 years ago, Cuba 3 years ago and Panama and Ecuador 2 years ago. During those months I’ve learned spanish. Maybe it has been a bit easier, because I know Italian :boh:

And no, booked my trip before I watched Narcos. :)

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Yes, I speak spanish. I’ve been to Argentina and Uruguay 4 years ago, Cuba 3 years ago and Panama and Ecuador 2 years ago. During those months I’ve learned spanish. Maybe it has been a bit easier, because I know Italian :boh:

And no, booked my trip before I watched Narcos. :)
Put flowers on the roof where (((they))) killed Pablo :depressed

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Yes. Flying to Bogota in 4 days, will be there a few days and then I'll go to Medellin. After that I will decide spontaneous, which places I gonna visit, think about the north and the Carribean coast...
I was only there for a couple of days. If you're looking to book a hotel/airbnb/hostel check out the Candelaria area. It's a really old neighborhood and there's always something going on there. Locals and tourists hang out there. On any given day it seemed there's street performers and generally a party/chill atmosphere. I didn't really stray too far from this area so I can't say much else but definitely spend a day or two in this neighborhood.

JUVESUPPORTER

Aug 25, 2003
Going to visit Colombia. I'll be there for 4 weeks. Anyone from Colombia or anyone been there lately?
Would be nice to get some suggestions. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

@Zé Tahir :shifty:
Its a date :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

For most people Bogota is the least enjoyable city. I would suggest obviously Medellin but Cartagena is also a must. You absolutely need to go to the San Andres islands which are just spectacular. Other notable places are Santa Marta which is beside Cartagena, there's a cool little party town called Taganga which is great fun. Finally, for an authentic Colombian city, Cali. The home of Salsa and so incredibly cheap. I would suggest staying around San Antonio if going to Cali, there is an amazing park overlooking the entire city in that barrio where people just smoke weed and listen to live music into the wee hours of the morning.

You will need to watch yourself in Bogota and Cali. Cali is statistically more dangerous but most Colombians view Bogota as incredibly dangerous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)