Azzurri Thread (14 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
What would you do if both Balotelli and Thiago Motta get called up?
I'll stop cheering for them.

Balotelli and Thiago Motta the pig will make this Azzurri team uninteresting to watch. Let also alone the likes of Criscito, Gila, Miccoli.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Marceℓℓo;2615161 said:
I don't like his attitude either and he's a douche,but I wouldn't mind him playing for the Azzurri at all.Sadly It's not like Italy has many alternatives right now.
Cassano, Giovinco, Amauri even the oldies Totti or Del Piero are all better options than the douche called Balotelli.

OP
Marceℓℓo

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
  • Thread Starter #9
    Cassano, Giovinco, Amauri even the oldies Totti or Del Piero are all better options than the douche called Balotelli.
    Totti and Del Piero are obviously class,but we have to build a young squad with a view to the EC 2012 and the WC 2014. Italy should have already made the generation change after the success in 2006,but they didn't. The result is an OK EC2008 and a disastrous WC 2010.

Amauri has scored 2 goals against semi-professionals,let's get not carried away.He has still a lot to prove.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Marceℓℓo;2615173 said:
    Amauri has scored 2 goals against semi-professionals,let's get not carried away.He has still a lot to prove.
    I didn't mention Amauri due to the two goals scored few days ago.

On a serious note though, Balotelli has done nothing to deserve a place in the NT.

OP
    Marceℓℓo

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
  • Thread Starter #11
    Let's take a look at some of the players at Prandelli's disposal.

Goalkeepers: Buffon,Sirigu,Storari,Marchetti,Consigli,Mirante,Viviano,Curci

Fullbacks: Motta,Maggio,Abate,Santon,Criscito,De Ceglie,Cassani,Masiello,De Silvestri,Antonini,Balzaretti

Centerbacks: Chiellini,Bonucci,Ranocchia,Bocchetti,Gamberini,Santacroce,Astori

Midfielders: De Rossi,Candreva,Marchisio,Palombo,Poli,Montolivo,Pepe,D'Agostino,Foggia,Galloppa

Attackers: Balotelli,Cassano,Miccoli,Pazzini,Macheda,Marilungo,G.Rossi,Giovinco,Gilardino,Quagliarella,Palladino,Lanzafame, Acquafresca,Matri,Paloschi,Zarate(?)

______

Off the top of my head.That's pretty awesome,at least on paper.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Marceℓℓo;2615173 said:
    Totti and Del Piero are obviously class,but we have to build a young squad with a view to the EC 2012 and the WC 2014. Italy should have already made the generation change after the success in 2006,but they didn't. The result is an OK EC2008 and a disastrous WC 2010.

Who are the older players Prandelli plans to call?
    I guess he'll still call Pirlo and Buffon will be a certainty once he's back, but what about the others?

Zambrotta, Iaquinta, Di Natale? Are there any indications who's gonna be called for the next couple of matches?

OP
    Marceℓℓo

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
  • Thread Starter #13
    Who are the older players Prandelli plans to call?
    I guess he'll still call Pirlo and Buffon will be a certainty once he's back, but what about the others?

Zambrotta, Iaquinta, Di Natale? Are there any indications who's gonna be called for the next couple of matches?
    So far no indications at all I think,Iaquinta is still injured.I certainly hope to never see the likes of Di Natale again.We simply have to make a cut and give other players a chance.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Marceℓℓo;2615199 said:
    We simply have to make a cut and give other players a chance.
    Definitely.

I don't see too much top quality in that list you posted, compared to some previous Italian teams, or the current Spanish team, but there is potential and youth, and if those guys play together for years, then they might grow into a very good and well gelled team.
    The problem is that so far the FIGC hasn't been giving many chances to coaches who failed to achieve great results and in the beginning this Italian team might not make finals or semis. If the federation is patient with the coach, the results will come. Instead of preparing for 2012 the emphasis should be put on WC 2014 because that's when most of those players on your list are expected to be in their best years.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
    May 26, 2009
    Theres talk of him maybe calling up Zambrotta as a LB in the upcmng friendly (if Santon and Criscito are unavailable from injury etc)

And FWIW I agree with you 100% Alen. Theres certainly potential in that group of players, but they'll probably peak in 2014 if used correctly. Im hoping Prandelli is given a chance to build the team til then.

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Thanks Marcello, though still here, will be home in 2 days.

And yeah, even if I wouldnt say its awesome selection, it oughta be a refreshing one, I for one cant wait to see the likes of Balotelli, Cassano, Miccoli, Rossi etc getting a real chance.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Marceℓℓo;2615196 said:
    Let's take a look at some of the players at Prandelli's disposal.

Goalkeepers: Buffon,Sirigu,Storari,Marchetti,Consigli,Mirante,Viviano,Curci

Fullbacks: Motta,Maggio,Abate,Santon,Criscito,De Ceglie,Cassani,Masiello,De Silvestri,Antonini,Balzaretti

Centerbacks: Chiellini,Bonucci,Ranocchia,Bocchetti,Gamberini,Santacroce,Astori

Midfielders: De Rossi,Candreva,Marchisio,Palombo,Poli,Montolivo,Pepe,D'Agostino,Foggia,Galloppa

Attackers: Balotelli,Cassano,Miccoli,Pazzini,Macheda,Marilungo,G.Rossi,Giovinco,Gilardino,Quagliarella,Palladino,Lanzafame, Acquafresca,Matri,Paloschi,Zarate(?)

______

Off the top of my head.That's pretty awesome,at least on paper.
    I'd also add Lazzari, Sorrentino, Mantovani, Guarente and Borriello as options.

OP
    Marceℓℓo

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
  • Thread Starter #18
    Definitely.

I don't see too much top quality in that list you posted, compared to some previous Italian teams, or the current Spanish team, but there is potential and youth, and if those guys play together for years, then they might grow into a very good and well gelled team.
    The problem is that so far the FIGC hasn't been giving many chances to coaches who failed to achieve great results and in the beginning this Italian team might not make finals or semis. If the federation is patient with the coach, the results will come. Instead of preparing for 2012 the emphasis should be put on WC 2014 because that's when most of those players on your list are expected to be in their best years.
    It's a joke of a list compared to some previous Italian teams,that's quite obvious.Italy is missing the Baggios,Del Pieros and Tottis.

I personally would play the qualification with loads of newcomers,even at the risk of not making it.The truth is,playing with youngsters isn't even that risky.Italy should take Germany as an example when it comes to giving youth a chance and even dropping star players(Frings for example).

Regarding Zambrotta and the bunch,they should have the guts to retire and make room for the youth.Gattuso is an example.

Thanks Marcello, though still here, will be home in 2 days.

And yeah, even if I wouldnt say its awesome selection, it oughta be a refreshing one, I for one cant wait to see the likes of Balotelli, Cassano, Miccoli, Rossi etc getting a real chance.
    Same here:tup:
    I'd also add Lazzari, Sorrentino, Mantovani, Guarente and Borriello as options.
    Nice,I knew I forgot some.Can't wait to see what Guarente will do at Sevilla.

Dec 31, 2008
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, SunSans-Regular]Prandelli reveals plans for Italy[/FONT]
    Monday 2 August, 2010
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Cesare Prandelli has spoken in detail for the first time about his plans for Italy, which include calling up Mario Balotelli, Antonio Cassano and oriundi like Amauri.

The 52-year-old took over from Marcello Lippi earlier this month and will name his first squad on Friday ahead of a friendly against the Ivory Coast at Upton Park on August 10.

Speaking to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Prandelli was asked to describe how his life has changed since he assumed control of the Azzurri.

“I haven’t changed. Other people have changed in their behaviour towards me. I feel greater attention around me. Suddenly everyone is trying to get hold of me and everyone stops me in the street.

“I thought that other Coaches had more experience than me, that’s all. Then, I didn’t imagine getting the national team job, but after the first two weeks in which I felt a bit discombobulated now I have eased into my new role as Commissario Tecnico.”

Prandelli then explained his philosophy, which revolves around giving young players a chance at the highest level.

“In effect there aren’t solutions to resolve all the problems quickly. The first move is to start from low, using to our advantage the academies that start with technique as their basis because Italian football doesn’t lack quality. It just lacks the idea of expressing quality and that is different.

“I have already spoken with Casiraghi and when I can, I will go and watch all the games of the various Under-17, Under-19 and Under-21 games.”

The former Fiorentina tactician was later asked what formation he intends to play with the Azzurri.

“Definitely with a four-man defence. We could play with a 4-2-3-1 that could also be a 4-3-2-1. The important thing is to exploit the length of the pitch, keeping the right distance between the lines.

“Aside from formations, we must rediscover the enthusiasm. I am not interested in finding a leader. The leader must be the blue shirt.”

Prandelli also gave an insight into what his selection policy will be like over the coming months.

“I called Buffon to know how he was. He will be our captain and I hope that he comes to watch us in September when we play in Florence.

“After Buffon, I called Gattuso because he has been a great personality, a symbol of La Nazionale and a world champion. I wanted to thank him again for everything that he has done because even if he’ll no longer be in the national team, he remains an example.”

Finally, Prandelli was asked about Mario Balotelli, Antonio Cassano and Amauri.

“I will only call up those who are playing for their team. It isn’t important where that is, so I would prefer Balotelli to be a regular in England than a reserve in Italy.

“I believe in Cassano’s maturation because one of his phrases impressed me during my brief time at Roma. I asked him if he was going out with anyone and he replied that he would like to have a child, but only with a girl who was in love with Antonio and not Cassano. So I believe that Carolina is the key to his maturation.

“If we play with a 4-2-3-1 with a centre-forward on his own up front, Cassano can be in the middle and Balotelli on the left. But that doesn’t mean they’ll play together in London because these call-ups will be a little strange.

“I have a list of 60 players who can get into the national team. This friendly arrives very soon with few concrete reference points for me because not all of them have played. So I will call up 23 or 24 players, giving precedence to those I know the least and those who up until now have played the most [in pre-season].

“As a rule Amauri is in line with this idea, but there is also Borriello for the attack and I still have a week to make the definitive decisions.”
    [/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)