Spain; Fifa Fair Play Winners (2 Viewers)

OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    You guys mean it should have been repeated.

Nope.

The Spain hate is going too far.

There are plenty things to criticise them for, but the second and third of those gifs are not among them.
    You can't see it in that footage, but there was contact.
    Truth is you can't see it from anywhere. Not on the pitch, not from the stadium, not on the tv screens, not anywhere. They were gift wrapped and sold.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Truth is you can't see it from anywhere. Not on the pitch, not from the stadium, not on the tv screens, not anywhere. They were gift wrapped and sold.
    I remember watching it at the time and thinking it was a dive.

However, there was one angle (from the side of the pitch, the camera that would have been for looking at offside decisions) where you could see there was contact.

It wasn't much, certainly not enough to cause going down in apparent agony, but there was some contact.

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #16
    I remember watching it at the time and thinking it was a dive.

However, there was one angle (from the side of the pitch, the camera that would have been for looking at offside decisions) where you could see there was contact.

It wasn't much, certainly not enough to cause going down in apparent agony, but there was some contact.
    And on the youtube link Heitinga has his hand on Iniesta's shoulder. When Iniesta starts to tumble he removes it.
    Somewhere along the line people seem to have forgotten that it's football they're playing. There is contact involved and the incidents in question did not deserve yellows let alone freekicks/penalties.

@Red: Do you have a video of this angle? Because I haven't seen it and all the articles I've read of this game (several) all call it play acting.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Somewhere along the line people seem to have forgotten that it's football they're playing. There is contact involved and the incidents in question did not deserve yellows let alone freekicks/penalties.
    Of course I know it's football don't be silly. The Torres incident wasn't a dive, he got clipped from behind and anyone who has ever played the game knows that when you get clipped from behind while running you tumble.

Secondly, Heitinga did grab Iniesta's shoulder initially. Whether it was a yellow card or not is up for debate. However, it should be noted that before the incident the referee had given more than 10 cards in the match and at that point it's up to the players to pay attention to how close the game is being called and act accordingly.

To be honest the plays by Spain with the exception of the Capdevilla roll around and the David Villa offside, were really not that bad. People are simply overreacting because Spain won the trophy and were incorrectly given the fair play award, Capdevilla's actions prove that.

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #18
    Of course I know it's football don't be silly. The Torres incident wasn't a dive, he got clipped from behind and anyone who has ever played the game knows that when you get clipped from behind while running you tumble.

Secondly, Heitinga did grab Iniesta's shoulder initially. Whether it was a yellow card or not is up for debate. However, it should be noted that before the incident the referee had given more than 10 cards in the match and at that point it's up to the players to pay attention to how close the game is being called and act accordingly.

To be honest the plays by Spain with the exception of the Capdevilla roll around and the David Villa offside, were really not that bad. People are simply overreacting because Spain won the trophy and were incorrectly given the fair play award, Capdevilla's actions prove that.
    Look at Torres reaction; his entire body flops. A little foot to the heel (which is not 100% evident in the video) does not amount to that reaction and that's what ultimately sealed the red.

What defender in the world doesn't hold on to the shoulder? I love Iniesta but that reaction was shameful and the card gesture was even more shameful.

I was calling them out since the round of 16 actually so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

You're right about players being aware of how the ref is judging the game but in general that is really unfair. It is FIFA that should get their heads out of their asses and clean up the game and change the way the game is officiated. I'm sick of games being ruined due to bad calls; it's killing the game and no one is benefiting from it aside from players that like to flop around.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Look at Torres reaction; his entire body flops. A little foot to the heel (which is not 100% evident in the video) does not amount to that reaction and that's what ultimately sealed the red.

What defender in the world doesn't hold on to the shoulder? I love Iniesta but that reaction was shameful and the card gesture was even more shameful.

I was calling them out since the round of 16 actually so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

You're right about players being aware of how the ref is judging the game but in general that is really unfair. It is FIFA that should get their heads out of their asses and clean up the game and change the way the game is officiated. I'm sick of games being ruined due to bad calls; it's killing the game and no one is benefiting from it aside from players that like to flop around.
    Since you don't believe that when clipped from behind you fly forward uncontrollably, I propose you and your brother do an experiment. Have him run down the hall and then you run up behind him and just clip him with your toe, only slightly so you don't hurt him. See how far he goes, then come tell me Torres' reaction wasn't natural.:D

Secondly, yes defenders use their arms, but they usually aren't that obvious. If they are they usually don't already have a yellow card.

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #20
    Now now Aaron, I've played football for many years how could I have avoided being clipped from behind? It's really common you know :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)