I'm buying a Macbook Pro - convince me not to (1 Viewer)

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
My current 5-year old laptop is giving up due to heat issues and constant crashing. I uninstalled Windows 7 and I'm now running Ubuntu which is proving to be much more reliable (surprise), but the computer itself still has certain issues. Time for a new one.

I'm looking for something smaller than my current 15" one, preferably something between 12" and 14". I don't game and I barely watch movies on it (got a USB-port on the TV which I use instead), so I really just need a decent processor and not too much RAM.

I've spent an extremely large amount of time the past five years fiddling with my current laptop, trying different OS, drivers etc to make everything work properly. This is something I absolutely don't want to do now. It's also completely built in plastic. I hate plastic. A good battery life is also preferred.

So, here are some of the properly built and slim 13" laptops I've considered, cheapest first (approx €330 price difference compared to the Mac):

Asus UL30
Acer TimelineX 3820
Sony Vaio VPC-Y11S1E/S
and finally, the 13" Macbook Pro with the simplest configuration

Now, I have the benefit of working extra at a big computer store so I've been able to try them all and I also know that our customers are very satisfied with all four. Still, Sony and Mac are the two brands with the best quality. They're rarely returned.

The Acer's keyboard ruins it for me. I really like it otherwise, but the keyboard has lots of space underneath it and I'm confident it will get full of dirt that will be hard to get out later on. The screen is also very flexible and despite the metallic look, it doesn't quite ooze quality. Also lacks a DVD-drive in this size. I can live without it, but it's a comfort to have a built-in one.

The Asus has a nice keyboard and has received great reviews, but here, the touchpad is useless instead. I really can't use it. If your fingers are just a little bit sweaty, they glide off and the touchpad becomes inaccurate. Also lacks DVD.

The Sony is a class above the Asus and Acer. Looks great and has a quality-build Comes with a 2-year warranty. Price is just €100 below the Mac though. Also lacks DVD-drive.

And then the MBP. I've always been very anti-Apple and that's why I know I shouldn't buy it. More than half of our store's employees and even the boss have one though, and they've been "in the business" for a long time. Computer-geeks the bunch of them, the group of people who I thought were the most fanatical anti-Apple advocates (read: Martin). They've all given in now. The thought of not having to mess with drivers, settings and all kinds of troubleshooting (to the same degree as Win 7, and yes, even Linux. Total configuration does require lots of time and effort.)

The price is high, but I pay for comfort. Design-wise it will also fit my new apartment quite nicely and I won't have to worry about blue-screens the night before an essay-deadline.

Now please, talk me into not getting one. Next MBP-shipment comes in approx. 10 days, so I have some time to rethink.

Buy on AliExpress.com

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Don't buy it. You don't get your money's worth, or you can get a lot better for that same money. If that's not a problem for you, then go for it. They're good machines but really are not anything special. All OS's break. You say you uninstalled win7...I'm running it for a year now, no problems at all. Best OS I ever used.

OP

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    Don't buy it. You don't get your money's worth, or you can get a lot better for that same money. If that's not a problem for you, then go for it. They're good machines but really are not anything special. All OS's break. You say you uninstalled win7...I'm running it for a year now, no problems at all. Best OS I ever used.
    Win 7 itself was fine, but due to my computer's heat issues, I needed the slimmest OS I could run.

When you say I can get better for the money, do you refer to say, larger/faster RAM and processor or general quality/build of the hardware?

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
    Are you challenging us here or you seek real advice?

As far as I know Macs are expensive to buy. And unless you dont need graphical powers I think you can settle for any other laptop with half the price.

OP

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
  • Thread Starter #5
    Are you challenging us here or you seek real advice?

As far as I know Macs are expensive to buy. And unless you dont need graphical powers I think you can settle for any other laptop with half the price.
    Bit of both. I know I shouldn't get one, but... it's all shiny!

You are of course right about it being expensive, but like I said, the other real options above aren't half the price. The Mac, with a student and staff-discount comes at ~€1000. The Asus and Acer come at ~700-800.

So I'll have €200 to spend on something else or save. Is it worth it?

Apr 15, 2006
    True. I've been using Win 7 on my desktop since its beta stage, and It's been a workhorse. No BSOD's, very fast and reliable. Mac's do offer a very stable OS and laptop. But as V said, it's not worth the money. There's definitely a learning curve for users switching from Windows to Mac, and I'm not sure if you've been through it, or not. If you don't mind investing some time learning it and getting used to it, then go for it. A Vaio with Win 7 would be nice. Try to get a 14-15" screen Vaio WITH a DVD drive, and it should work great.

OP

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
  • Thread Starter #7
    True. I've been using Win 7 on my desktop since its beta stage, and It's been a workhorse. No BSOD's, very fast and reliable. Mac's do offer a very stable OS and laptop. But as V said, it's not worth the money. There's definitely a learning curve for users switching from Windows to Mac, and I'm not sure if you've been through it, or not. If you don't mind investing some time learning it and getting used to it, then go for it. A Vaio with Win 7 would be nice. Try to get a 14-15" screen Vaio WITH a DVD drive, and it should work great.
    Vaio's great. It's a shame about the battery-life on them, apart from the model I wrote down in the topic post. It's nearly 3x longer on the Asus, Acer and Mac.

They're also just slightly cheaper than the Mac, but the warranty itself makes it worth it.

Apr 15, 2006
    Bit of both. I know I shouldn't get one, but... it's all shiny!

You are of course right about it being expensive, but like I said, the other real options above aren't half the price. The Mac, with a student and staff-discount comes at ~€1000. The Asus and Acer come at ~700-800.

So I'll have €200 to spend on something else or save. Is it worth it?
    Is it worth saving €200 by NOT choosing a Mac? FUCK YES!

Apr 15, 2006
    Vaio's great. It's a shame about the battery-life on them, apart from the model I wrote down in the topic post. It's nearly 3x longer on the Asus, Acer and Mac.

They're also just slightly cheaper than the Mac, but the warranty itself makes it worth it.
    I've sure they have 6 cell or 8 cell batteries that you can buy to extend the life.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Burke and I have had our own MacBook Pros for years, and the only real problem we have had was our power cords getting a bit worn. That's about it. Still fast as hell and good to go.

Definitely get it. Best laptop I've ever had.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    My current 5-year old laptop is giving up due to heat issues and constant crashing. I uninstalled Windows 7 and I'm now running Ubuntu which is proving to be much more reliable (surprise), but the computer itself still has certain issues. Time for a new one.

I'm looking for something smaller than my current 15" one, preferably something between 12" and 14". I don't game and I barely watch movies on it (got a USB-port on the TV which I use instead), so I really just need a decent processor and not too much RAM.

I've spent an extremely large amount of time the past five years fiddling with my current laptop, trying different OS, drivers etc to make everything work properly. This is something I absolutely don't want to do now. It's also completely built in plastic. I hate plastic. A good battery life is also preferred.

So, here are some of the properly built and slim 13" laptops I've considered, cheapest first (approx €330 price difference compared to the Mac):

Asus UL30
    Acer TimelineX 3820
    Sony Vaio VPC-Y11S1E/S
    and finally, the 13" Macbook Pro with the simplest configuration

Now, I have the benefit of working extra at a big computer store so I've been able to try them all and I also know that our customers are very satisfied with all four. Still, Sony and Mac are the two brands with the best quality. They're rarely returned.

The Acer's keyboard ruins it for me. I really like it otherwise, but the keyboard has lots of space underneath it and I'm confident it will get full of dirt that will be hard to get out later on. The screen is also very flexible and despite the metallic look, it doesn't quite ooze quality. Also lacks a DVD-drive in this size. I can live without it, but it's a comfort to have a built-in one.

The Asus has a nice keyboard and has received great reviews, but here, the touchpad is useless instead. I really can't use it. If your fingers are just a little bit sweaty, they glide off and the touchpad becomes inaccurate. Also lacks DVD.

The Sony is a class above the Asus and Acer. Looks great and has a quality-build Comes with a 2-year warranty. Price is just €100 below the Mac though. Also lacks DVD-drive.

And then the MBP. I've always been very anti-Apple and that's why I know I shouldn't buy it. More than half of our store's employees and even the boss have one though, and they've been "in the business" for a long time. Computer-geeks the bunch of them, the group of people who I thought were the most fanatical anti-Apple advocates (read: Martin). They've all given in now. The thought of not having to mess with drivers, settings and all kinds of troubleshooting (to the same degree as Win 7, and yes, even Linux. Total configuration does require lots of time and effort.)

The price is high, but I pay for comfort. Design-wise it will also fit my new apartment quite nicely and I won't have to worry about blue-screens the night before an essay-deadline.

Now please, talk me into not getting one. Next MBP-shipment comes in approx. 10 days, so I have some time to rethink.
    No notebook is worth $1300 or more

Get a Lenovo, you won't regret it

and its about $700 less than a Mac

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    With a PC you can do the exact things you'll do with a Mac for half the price.

So if you're up for saving money go with the PC.
    If you wanna pay more for the design go with the Mac. You shouldn't have a problem getting used to it. One thing I hate about Macs though is their one mouse button.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    Sadomin: GET IT!

I've been in to computers since my parents first got one when I was 12. Always used windows, while i was never computer savvy to the level of Martin, I did get in to the registry, and that sort of thing.

But anyway, I switched to a macbook pro 5 years ago, after my 3 windows laptops all conked out before reaching the 6 month mark. Still have it, and while overclocking the GPU kind of fucked me over, everything else is wonderful. I've loved almost every second of owning this laptop, and again, I'm the kind of guy that likes to tinker, and yes, I run windows XP on it for games

@ Fabiana: 1-button mouse? the new one has no buttons at all. But I agree about lenovo, they are excellent laptops. I even kind of like their design :) of course, i'm biased since I had my grandfathers old IBM laptop for a year. It was made in 1994 I believe, still runs well enough

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)