Questions about nationality (1 Viewer)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
As it's World Cup time, I would like to know which nations I am able to support. This would make the experience more enjoyable for me.

I have a couple of questions about nationality and what requirements I have to meet to support a nation during the World Cup. I think that abstract discussion is not the way to go here, I'm going to present the Wise One a couple of examples to judge and from that judgment I shall write down the rules everyone needs to obey if he wants to support a national team.

Question number one:

There are people out there who have not been born in Italy, who don't live in Italy and still hold an Italian passport.There are also people who have been born in Italy, live in Italy and still don't have the Italian passport.

Which one of the two would you call more Italian?

Question number two:

You're a citizen of Serbia and Montenegro. You support Serbia and Montenegro during the World Cup. A couple of years later your country is divided in two countries: Serbia and Montenegro. They decided that you were from Montenegro. Can you support Serbia?

Question number three:

An 80 year old woman still remembers the day that strong American soldier saved her from the claws of death in that cold, cold winter by giving her a blanket and something to eat. It doesn't matter which sport she sees Americans take part in, she will always side with them, because they make her think of that wonderful moment of humanity she once lived. Is she wrong?

Question number four:

My brother was born in Zambia. We both lived there for three years. He could have become a Zambian citizen, but opted not to, because of possible complications with his Belgian passport. Later on they told him that such complications would not have arisen, however it has now become impossible for him to apply for Zambian citizenship, because he is now over 21. He wants to be Zambian and in fact has every right to, but a legal mistake means that he can never hold a Zambian passport. Can he cheer for Zambia?

Question number five:

Some families have several nationalities. Some people have a brother who is American, but are Irish themselves for example. The brother happens to be very good at football and actually plays for the American NT. Can the guy support the NT his brother plays for?

I ask these questions because the Wise One told me that these matters are very simple. If they are very simple, could he answer them for me?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I would like to answer the questions but I'll wait for Andy to reply first and explain to me how he defines Nationality and based on what a person can support a NT other than living in a country and speaking the language.

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    It would be nice to hear from the Wise One as he says these things are not complicated at all.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I didn't have manicotti with extra mozzarella for dinner, but I do have an Italian passport. I'm British-Italian and support both teams, tough to comprehend, I know. I really think it's that simple for most people.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Another question you should add Andries...

If right now lets say I'm on a vacation in Slovenia for a month during the World Cup . And I managed to speak the language in just couple of weeks after taking 7 hours of courses daily including Saturdays and Sundays. Not to mention eating their traditional food and drinking their traditional beverages, adding to that learning about the cities it's culture and all.

Does that qualify me or gives me a green light to support them in this world cup?

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    Hands down this is the most pointless topic you can address Seven, when its Andy are talking to, its litterall as fruitful as talking to a wall.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    Hands down this is the most pointless topic you can address Seven, when its Andy are talking to, its litterall as fruitful as talking to a wall.
    True. But I wonder why someone would ever say that nationality is "very simple". I would like to hear an explanation, but he won't give me one. Perhaps we can all chime in and try to think of what the Wise One would say?

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Question number one:

There are people out there who have not been born in Italy, who don't live in Italy and still hold an Italian passport.There are also people who have been born in Italy, live in Italy and still don't have the Italian passport.

The ones who live in Italy.

Question number two:

You're a citizen of Serbia and Montenegro. You support Serbia and Montenegro during the World Cup. A couple of years later your country is divided in two countries: Serbia and Montenegro. They decided that you were from Montenegro. Can you support Serbia?
    It depends on what you consider yourself, here I am assuming you are talking about a mature enough person to realize what has actually happened to his nation.

Question number three:

An 80 year old woman still remembers the day that strong American soldier saved her from the claws of death in that cold, cold winter by giving her a blanket and something to eat. It doesn't matter which sport she sees Americans take part in, she will always side with them, because they make her think of that wonderful moment of humanity she once lived. Is she wrong?
    What do you mean by wrong?

Question number four:

My brother was born in Zambia. We both lived there for three years. He could have become a Zambian citizen, but opted not to, because of possible complications with his Belgian passport. Later on they told him that such complications would not have arisen, however it has now become impossible for him to apply for Zambian citizenship, because he is now over 21. He wants to be Zambian and in fact has every right to, but a legal mistake means that he can never hold a Zambian passport. Can he cheer for Zambia?

I ask these questions because the Wise One told me that these matters are very simple. If they are very simply, could he answer them for me?
    He can but I would personally find it strange that he does that.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    It is pretty simple. If you gain citizenship of a nation, you're a citizen of it. I mean DUH, that's pretty fucking simple.

Fact of the matter is, all of you people are not Italian, and are leechfucks who are trying to suck the glory out of Italy's national team.

Pathetic folks.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11
    The ones who live in Italy.

Not according to the Wise One unfortunately. You have to hold citizenship.

It depends on what you consider yourself, here I am assuming you are talking about a mature enough person to realize what has actually happened to his nation.

People don't decide which citizenship they get. They can apply, sure, but ultimately it's the state that decides whether or not they give them citizenship

What do you mean by wrong?

I mean, is it wrong of her to support the US? After all she is not American.

He can but I would personally find it strange that he does that.
    Why? He was born in Zambia, so based on the ius soli principle he can be Zambian. If he has the citizenship, the Wise One says you can support them.
    You do make sense though, Jack :tup:

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    It is pretty simple. If you gain citizenship of a nation, you're a citizen of it. I mean DUH, that's pretty fucking simple.

Fact of the matter is, all of you people are not Italian, and are leechfucks who are trying to suck the glory out of Italy's national team.

Pathetic folks.
    This is fucking weird, Osman. How can a guy be this blind? How can you come up with such a ondimensional answer to such multidimensionial questions?

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    Andy, I want you to answer each question at a time. That way we will understand.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Passports are not important. I don't even have a valid passport right now FFS, but I am still a citizen of the US.

Rab and Andries are not Italian. They have no family members from Italy, they have no relation to Italy besides a football club and a vacation, and they don't meet the requirements to have citizenship of said country.

Sorry folks, you're not Italian.

Time to close the thread.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    Passports are not important. I don't even have a valid passport right now FFS, but I am still a citizen of the US.

Rab and Andries are not Italian. They have no family members from Italy, they have no relation to Italy besides a football club and a vacation, and they don't meet the requirements to have citizenship of said country.

Sorry folks, you're not Italian.

Time to close the thread.
    No no. I want you to answer each question. That's how we're going to play this game. You're not going to come up with some shit that hardly has anything to do with the matter. You're going to play it fair and square and provide me some half decent answers before you fucking insult me again.

blondu

Grazie Ale
    Nov 9, 2006

Pathetic folks.
    oh and what glory they will have this year :lol:...give all the azzurri's fan a respect and a break just because they still support them even if they don't have a chance at the final.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #19
    Well that my opinion, why refer to what Andy says?
    Because I want to show him that these are more complex issues than he would like them to be. It annoys me very much when a guy like Andy blurts out that something is very easy to understand and that we're all morons and that we shouldn't go to law school because we don't know shit, when in reality he's leaving out a gazillion factors.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Question number one:

Question number two:

Question number three:

Question number four:

Question number five:

Some families have several nationalities. Some people have a brother who is American, but are Irish themselves for example. The brother happens to be very good at football and actually plays for the American NT. Can the guy support the NT his brother plays for?

I ask these questions because the Wise One told me that these matters are very simple. If they are very simple, could he answer them for me?

Fristly let's accept that 'Nationality' is a misnomer in it's current inception. An Irish passport makes me a citizen of the state of Ireland, not neccesserily the Nation of Ireland which is the shared culutural and historical ties that bind a group of people together. In this vein, let us continue;

1.The only 'Italian' is the one with the passport.

2.You can support any team that you want, although you open yourself up to ridicule.

3.She's certainly wrong to believe that America is a force for good and protectors of humanity. Bitch got dementia.

4.Again he can cheer for whoever he wants, but he did Choose to be a belgian no?

5.Yep

Here it is kids;

In todays Globalised world where people are evermore interconected and integrated with one another the lines of ethnicity,nationality and groupism in general are fading rapidly. There is no country on earth that is a pure form of one ethnicity or that has uniform historical nationalist ties. I myself would have Danish,German,Gaelic and Norman Blood in me (Gengis Khan as well :p). The fact is that as people we all are born in a particular society, and grow up in a particular society. Whichever nation that you are formed as a human being in is what Nation you belong to. If you don't have ties of blood to a country that you've never resided in then you shouldn't support that team.

In one sentence:If you were not born/raised or do not have any blood ties to a country then you shouldn't be a fan of that country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)