Missed opportunity with rejuvenation? (1 Viewer)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I remember when we signed Ranieri people said that one thing he is good at, is giving younger players chance. We had some younger players here and there, but looking at it now, the only player who has made a breakthrough is Marchisio.

And now, here we are. Besides a lot of other reasons, one of the reasons Juve is where it is right now, because not rejuvenating the team.

I was watching Bayern Munich in CL and Van Gaal has already 3-4 Bayern youth players playing in the first team; Contento, Badstuber, and would you believe it, 17 years old boy called Alaba.

This is not the only example.

What is our youth team stuff doing?

Oh i just got it, Rocky was coaching it, wasnt he, before the first team, i guess that answers the question. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I remember when we signed Ranieri people said that one thing he is good at, is giving younger players chance. We had some younger players here and there, but looking at it now, the only player who has made a breakthrough is Marchisio.

And now, here we are. Besides a lot of other reasons, one of the reasons Juve is where it is right now, because not rejuvenating the team.

I was watching Bayern Munich in CL and Van Gaal has already 3-4 Bayern youth players playing in the first team; Contento, Badstuber, and would you believe it, 17 years old boy called Alaba.

This is not the only example.

What is our youth team stuff doing?

Oh i just got it, Rocky was coaching it, wasnt he, before the first team, i guess that answers the question. :D
Ferrara was doing a great job with our youth system. We had the one of the strongest (if not strongest) youth team in italy (if I am not mistaken)..

Cirillo

Nov 10, 2009
This club has never taken the idea of rejuvenation seriously. They have continually gone for overrated players as quick fixes. Partly this is because of fan pressure but look at the results this year, the result of poor management eventually culminating in one of the most horrible years in Juve history. Amauri for example, he was our new Ibra but he's older than Ibra??? Poulsen - no spring chicken. I know that's only two but there are plenty more. Apart from Diego the other player are all short term fixes.

As fans we're not ready to properly re-build this team to get Juve into a position to be the long term dominant force that we all fell in love with. Who knows maybe a year or two out of the CL might be just what the doctor ordered but I fear we'll continue to buy mediocre players and hype them up as our new saviors, Del Neri will get us to 3rd or 4th and the board will come out and claim the season a success because we qualifyied for the CL after such a poor season the one before.

We've become the new Liverpool, the team that were once big, prestigious and successful, with a crappy playing roster and still holding on to old memories

CAPITANO

58 ' SUPER SIC ' 58
Jul 12, 2006
Coach's in Italy have no balls to play young players in big teams, we could save a shit load of cash if we gave them a chance and found a new superstar insted of spending 30 Mil on a player which we don't know how will perform

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
You just said it, in big teams who are in need of immediate results no one will play younger/unproven players.

If you ask me about Gio, i would never play him as an starter in first place anyway.

However, depending on clubs "new project" and "evolution" those things might change.

But can we wait for "5 years" without challenging for title??

Its up to supporters- right?

CAPITANO

58 ' SUPER SIC ' 58
Jul 12, 2006
You just said it, in big teams who are in need of immediate results no one will play younger/unproven players.

If you ask me about Gio, i would never play him as an starter in first place anyway.

However, depending on clubs "new project" and "evolution" those things might change.

But can we wait for "5 years" without challenging for title??

Its up to supporters- right?
half of Barca's squad is from there youth team, it will work if the coach has confidence in the player,

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Coaches will have confidence in players if they are any good. Playing them just because they are young is stupid. Giving them time to shine just because they are young is stupid too. I for one like the idea of loaning out a player who is very talented for a season to see if he can handle the big stage. Took at the people we loaned out who were supposed to be the next Del Piero, Gattuso, Maradona, Pele etc. etc. Very few has shown the quality to be in a side like Juventus. Teams playing in the Spain is different. They have their own reserve team who play competitive matches week in week out. Its not the same in Italy. It is true that coaches are skeptical about playing youth in Italy. But that is only one half of the story. Asking for players like Yago who has done absolutely zilch to be part of the first team just because he has talent is shortsighted. Talent isn't enough to cut it in the big stage. Talent is just the beginning.

That said, I believe Giovinco ended up getting the short end of the stick. His is an unlucky case. He has shown he can cut it with the big boys, but for some odd reason has been snubbed consistently.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Oh, so if you're young and talented, you can still not cut it with the first team with a total different and much stronger opposition?

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
icεmαή;2497574 said:
Coaches will have confidence in players if they are any good. Playing them just because they are young is stupid. Giving them time to shine just because they are young is stupid too. I for one like the idea of loaning out a player who is very talented for a season to see if he can handle the big stage. Took at the people we loaned out who were supposed to be the next Del Piero, Gattuso, Maradona, Pele etc. etc. Very few has shown the quality to be in a side like Juventus. Teams playing in the Spain is different. They have their own reserve team who play competitive matches week in week out. Its not the same in Italy. It is true that coaches are skeptical about playing youth in Italy. But that is only one half of the story. Asking for players like Yago who has done absolutely zilch to be part of the first team just because he has talent is shortsighted. Talent isn't enough to cut it in the big stage. Talent is just the beginning.

That said, I believe Giovinco ended up getting the short end of the stick. His is an unlucky case. He has shown he can cut it with the big boys, but for some odd reason has been snubbed consistently.
:delpiero:

Our youth teams have always been terribly overrated. But it seems like people just don't want to realise that. It took me a while to come to terms with it myself.

A few years ago our biggest talents were guys like Palladino, Paolucci & Chiumento. Then there were other hot prospects waiting to get their chance like F Piccolo, Guzman, Volpato, ...
Now, does anyone really think that these guys have what it takes to compete at the highest level?

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
Once Virtual posted this youtube clip.

pay attention well, volume down, and count how many times ball was intercepted etc..
this supposed to be one of his best games right???

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I won't even bother.

People always promote the same numbskull policies even if they haven't worked.

Just goes to show how those Americans who voted for Bush twice aren't the only idiots in the world.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
When doing so terrible as we have, and you see a coach sub on a player like Brazzo on the wing, do you honestly believe a player like Iago or Rossi couldn't do a similar job? Atleast there is a, even if small, possibility they do something good and surprise us. Everybody knows Brazzo isn't going to get any better, faster or younger.

Seriously, how much damage can a player like that do in the final 20 or so minutes of a game?

I don't see how it's all that strange of some people ( including me ) to ask for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)