Why are Fifa/Uefa still waiting with the refereeing improvements? (1 Viewer)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I find it funny how Uefa/Fifa are making a meal out of the whole refereeing case. You know what i am talking about here. The 3rd referee option behind the goal for example. They tested it in some u-tournament, didnt they? I dont remember too well, but i know i saw a game where they had referees behind the goal. Later i heard they said it was a successful experiment.

If they dont want or cant bring the video reply in to the game, just get more referees in. Why are they wasting so much time on it, and make a meal out of it? How long are we going to experiment these things in some u-20 level tournaments.

Lets not forget other big calls. We had the same talk when Pool scored the phantom goal against Chelsea couple of seasons ago in CL.

What happened in France-Ireland game was huge. Something must be done, and soon, before the next world cup.

But i am pretty sure nothing will, because after all the "lets improve the game" talks by Blatter and others, in the end it still is about politics and lets say star power (France>Ireland). (just like the seeding process for the playoffs).

Oh, and what makes it "funnier" is that Fifa promotes fair play before the games kickoff.

Oh and: http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/worldwideprograms/releases/newsid=1097850.html :howler:

*I opened the topic since its more about refereeing improvement than just the Henry incident.

So there i ask, they didnt seem to have problem experimenting with the golden goal, silver goal what ever. But this is huge, Ireland didnt get a ticket because one guy cheated.

What kind of message that sends us? Cheating is allowed now? Henry is one of the role models, heck now it seems his also one of the untouchables. The media doesnt even attack (apart from the brittish). Saying things like, well everyone would have done it. I bet if it wouldnt been Henry, but some other player things would be different.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Get video technology in there, I say...the 4th ref does nothing other than pick up a board a few times and act like a shield between the manager and the pitch...give him a monitor with television coverage, so whenever there's a dodgy call, he can tell the main ref what exactly happened.

OP
Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    Funny thing, just reminded. Totti was banned when he spit at Poulsen in Euro04. He was banned on video evidence.

I am looking forward what kind of punishment Henry gets. Because this is SO much bigger.

But i know nothing will happen, cause Henry is a role model...

Dec 31, 2008
    Get video technology in there, I say...the 4th ref does nothing other than pick up a board a few times and act like a shield between the manager and the pitch...give him a monitor with television coverage, so whenever there's a dodgy call, he can tell the main ref what exactly happened.
    Cricket style :agree:

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
    Nothing will happen to Henry. FIFA wants all the stars at the World Cup.
    Exactly, you can tell they are sweating over the location of the finals already. It would have been a disaster for them if France didn't get there. It's essential for them to have it as high key as possible, a world cup in South Africa with the likes of Bosnia, Slovenia and Slovakia in it as opposed to France, Portugal et al doesn't sound very attractive.
    Nethertheless, the whole point of qualification is to earn it something that these smaller teams all did

OP
    Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #7
    Exactly, you can tell they are sweating over the location of the finals already. It would have been a disaster for them if France didn't get there. It's essential for them to have it as high key as possible, a world cup in South Africa with the likes of Bosnia, Slovenia and Slovakia in it as opposed to France, Portugal et al doesn't sound very attractive.
    Nethertheless, the whole point of qualification is to earn it something that these smaller teams all did
    Ditto

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    This is why I can't stand how some folks complain that the World Cup "won't be as good" without the likes of Messi or one of the "big" sides in the competition. The World Cup is the World Cup, whether or not a bunch of cheaters from France are there or not.

I would have LOVED not seeing Ronaldo and Messi in South Africa.

OP
    Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #9
    This is why I can't stand how some folks complain that the World Cup "won't be as good" without the likes of Messi or one of the "big" sides in the competition. The World Cup is the World Cup, whether or not a bunch of cheaters from France are there or not.

I would have LOVED not seeing Ronaldo and Messi in South Africa.
    Exactly. I dont care if Messi or Ronaldo is there. Sure they add to the event, but its about teams in the end, not just Ronaldo or Messi, Ireland made a huge effort, but Fifa went with France because they are bigger name.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Exactly. I dont care if Messi or Ronaldo is there. Sure they add to the event, but its about teams in the end, not just Ronaldo or Messi, Ireland made a huge effort, but Fifa went with France because they are bigger name.
    As a Portugal NT fan, Portugal played far better in their qualifiers without Ronaldo. You could make a legitimate argument that the best thing that happened to change their fate in the WC qualifiers was Ronaldo's absence.

And yet we know every WC and every Euro, the players in all the Nike and Adidas ads don't earn all the glory. Instead it's the David Villas, the Milan Baroses, and the aging forgotten types like the Zidanes who end up making all the difference in the tournaments.

That said, I hate how the sport is being bent and twisted more and more to cater to people watching the match from 1,000km away on their fat asses in front of a television screen. The players and the refs have become puppets for a television audience to perform at their remote-controlled whims. Fouls and referee calls are not judged on the field, but rather by an audience of people who aren't even in the same time zone as the game, watching the events in an entirely distorted passage of time. That's absolute bullcrap.

If refs fail to do their jobs, they should be reprimanded and demoted from service for blowing big calls like that. But please -- the rules of the game should not be enforced under a laboratory microscope in slow-motion replay that has nothing to do with what happens at the pitch, on the pitch, in real time.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
    Fifa Fair Play Code: "Play fair. Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns respect, while cheating only brings shame. Remember: it is only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly."

:rolleyes:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    And not that FIFA needs my defense, but I had to laugh at the comments on some other forum about how racist FIFA is -- done with respect to yesterday's Henry incident.

A black guy cheats by handling the ball twice, which gets scored by another black guy against a team of pretty much pasty white guys -- and this is supposed to support this chucklehead's "FIFA is racist" argument. :lol:

First rule of debate: if you're going to attempt an accusation, don't first discredit yourself as a moron.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I fundamentally disagree with Greg. In this situation, he thinks he's sticking it to TV viewers from around the globe at the expense of the integrity of the game and deserved teams hurt by poor calls. But the problem is, he's actually throwing the arm-chair pundits a bone by not correcting the poor calls made on the pitch, made for whatever reason. If you eliminate ridiculous calls and non-calls like this Henry debacle yesterday, you eliminate the leather lazy-boy folks who think they know better or believe they could do a better job than the people on the pitch. Correct the calls then and there, and you leave the leechfucks with nothing else to discuss.

But they aren't really leechfucks, though. Not everyone can attend a single match that is watched by millions around the globe, so this criticism of the television spectators isn't very fair.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    I fundamentally disagree with Greg. In this situation, he thinks he's sticking it to TV viewers from around the globe at the expense of the integrity of the game and deserved teams hurt by poor calls. But the problem is, he's actually throwing the arm-chair pundits a bone by not correcting the poor calls made on the pitch, made for whatever reason. If you eliminate ridiculous calls and non-calls like this Henry debacle yesterday, you eliminate the leather lazy-boy folks who think they know better or believe they could do a better job than the people on the pitch. Correct the calls then and there, and you leave the leechfucks with nothing else to discuss.

But they aren't really leechfucks, though. Not everyone can attend a single match that is watched by millions around the globe, so this criticism of the television spectators isn't very fair.
    but the game in essence is played the players not the spectators, and if a rule goes both for and against your team at the end it evens out somehow. Those tech improvements will be too disruptive, who not introduce time-outs then and just play good old american football

OP
    Stephan

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
  • Thread Starter #19
    Fifa Fair Play Code: "Play fair. Winning is without value if victory has been achieved unfairly or dishonestly. Cheating is easy, but brings no pleasure. Playing fair requires courage and character. It is also more satisfying. Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost. Playing fair earns respect, while cheating only brings shame. Remember: it is only a game. And games are pointless unless played fairly."

:rolleyes:
    :blah: :rofl:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    but the game in essence is played the players not the spectators, and if a rule goes both for and against your team at the end it evens out somehow. Those tech improvements will be too disruptive, who not introduce time-outs then and just play good old american football
    But I'm just talking about goal-line replays, not replays on whatever else happens on the pitch. The goals are matter. Nowadays you also have decisions on bans made by TV replay, so why not goals?

Yes, the game is to be played on the pitch, but one could easily have a 5th official right next to a TV screen besides the pitch, with the referee taking the time to confer if there are doubts over the goal. I don't see much of a problem with that as long as it doesn't take more than a couple minutes to occur.

And yesterday there wasn't any evening out for the Irish -- Anelka went down easily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)