Season of Transition...Exciting Times. (1 Viewer)

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Despite the ups and downs of this season's inconsistent form, tactical tinkering, horrible defeats, unfortunate injuries to key players...I am happy with the current state of the squad. Yes, I still harbour some romantic hope of truly challenging for, perhaps even winning, the scudetto, and also, heading somewhere decent in europe, the semis would be an achievement...but I am looking at this season, mainly, as one of transition, rather than one in which I expect everything to be working to its maximum potential. That will take time...and the brief flashes we have seen of what it could be, have been blinding...Regardless of our definite problems in defending the full back positions, some of our attacking play in the maulings of Samp and Atalanta, has been nothing short of beautiful to watch, and to feel a part of.

Buffon, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Melo, Momo, Marchisio, the new Camo, Diego, Giovinco, Del Piero, Trezeguet...

Those players all possess exceptional talent, and when in form, and fit, can totally dominate opponents.
Shame there are no fullbacks in that eleven...
Buffon
Cannavaro Chiellini
Momo Melo Marchisio
Camo Diego Giovinco
Trez DP

2-3-3-2.
Would be worth a try in a game we were winning 5-0. Just to roll the dice....

Looking to this season. Our fullbacks are obviously our most desperate and pressing problem. We are forced to field, at best, 9 players of exceptional talent, because we simply must play with 4 defenders...and only Caceres, fresh, vicious, fast, keen but tactically infantile, looks mistily like he could develop into a Fix for our right back misery...are we really forced to play 4? We have Legro, and also Ariuado. Two spare centre backs. We could try with 3, but I dont know of any world class teams which play with less than four.

De Ceglie doesn't look of the required class. He is not going to solve our left back riddle. And neither is Grosso...though his distribution is often heavenly compared to what we were subjected to by Molinaro last season, his covering and positional play in general defensively, are not brilliant. Dare I say...they are at times, more dangerous to our own cause than Molinaro was, defensively. It was his abject failure to pass the ball which I despised, NOT his abilities to defend.
Grosso can pass, has decent pace, likes to get into the box. He is useful. for now...but needs replacing or at least given someone to challenge him for the starting role, when the transfer window reopens in january.

Perhaps Grosso and the Gryg/Cac/Zeb combination will be enough for success somewhere, without renovation, but that will depend totally on how fit Momo can remain after he returns from his latest injury. The Malian literally makes the width of the pitch his OWN...creating a barrier in front of the whole defence. His presence can never be underestimated...With him back, Grosso and Cac, two players who like to get forward, and can shoot and cross, we could be fine.

We can get maybe 2 more years out of Camo, but he needs a backup. Someone young, skilful, quick, eager...Iago? Can he play on the right, either as a winger or tucked in closer towards the middle? Cannavaro will need a challenger/replacement. I wish Ariuado was getting some playing time. He looked gifted in his brief showing last season.

The best we can do for now, is keep giving Caceres a chance. Stick with Grosso. See how we fare when Momo and Marchiso are back...Both of them are class acts. Having three players capable of doing a sterling job in the 2 defensive midfield positions, will greatly improve our whole defensive structure, and in turn the attack. Poulsen has done okay. Whilst Melo has been patchy, at times imperious, at times dangerously profligate with possession...Momo and Marchisio are a different class to the Dane.

These are exciting times. Forza Juve...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
We will never, ever, ever play a 2 man defence. I also wonder why we don't sub in Ariaudo from time to time, I guess Ciro thinks Legro is a better replacement.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I think we are doing pretty good too so far, don't want to find excuses or anything but we were really unfortunate with the injuries at some point. That said, I wouldn't set a goal and say if we reach the semi's then it's an achievement, I think we have a very decent squad that can go till the end, once we are eliminated (god forbid) we will see and look at whether we did a pretty good job and were unlucky or not.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I think we are doing pretty good too so far, don't want to find excuses or anything but we were really unfortunate with the injuries at some point. That said, I wouldn't set a goal and say if we reach the semi's then it's an achievement, I think we have a very decent squad that can go till the end, once we are eliminated (god forbid) we will see and look at whether we did a pretty good job and were unlucky or not.
Good point. The injury situation really messes with our team chemistry when you think about it. Our midfield is always different and they are the ones that connect the team together. When they are off-form, our team is off form and that is pretty clear when you see it.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Well Its true. Juve have more creative players and play with more technic. Inter play with more brute force. We have Del Piero, Camo, Giovinco and Diego. Inter have Sneijder, Motta and I guess Stankovic. We can win the scudetto this year. I know we can. We just need to play at our best every week.

dimitar

Nov 11, 2009
Despite the ups and downs of this season's inconsistent form, tactical tinkering, horrible defeats, unfortunate injuries to key players...I am happy with the current state of the squad. Yes, I still harbour some romantic hope of truly challenging for, perhaps even winning, the scudetto, and also, heading somewhere decent in europe, the semis would be an achievement...but I am looking at this season, mainly, as one of transition, rather than one in which I expect everything to be working to its maximum potential. That will take time...and the brief flashes we have seen of what it could be, have been blinding...Regardless of our definite problems in defending the full back positions, some of our attacking play in the maulings of Samp and Atalanta, has been nothing short of beautiful to watch, and to feel a part of.

Buffon, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Melo, Momo, Marchisio, the new Camo, Diego, Giovinco, Del Piero, Trezeguet...

Those players all possess exceptional talent, and when in form, and fit, can totally dominate opponents.
Shame there are no fullbacks in that eleven...
Buffon
Cannavaro Chiellini
Momo Melo Marchisio
Camo Diego Giovinco
Trez DP

2-3-3-2.
Would be worth a try in a game we were winning 5-0. Just to roll the dice....

Looking to this season. Our fullbacks are obviously our most desperate and pressing problem. We are forced to field, at best, 9 players of exceptional talent, because we simply must play with 4 defenders...and only Caceres, fresh, vicious, fast, keen but tactically infantile, looks mistily like he could develop into a Fix for our right back misery...are we really forced to play 4? We have Legro, and also Ariuado. Two spare centre backs. We could try with 3, but I dont know of any world class teams which play with less than four.

De Ceglie doesn't look of the required class. He is not going to solve our left back riddle. And neither is Grosso...though his distribution is often heavenly compared to what we were subjected to by Molinaro last season, his covering and positional play in general defensively, are not brilliant. Dare I say...they are at times, more dangerous to our own cause than Molinaro was, defensively. It was his abject failure to pass the ball which I despised, NOT his abilities to defend.
Grosso can pass, has decent pace, likes to get into the box. He is useful. for now...but needs replacing or at least given someone to challenge him for the starting role, when the transfer window reopens in january.

Perhaps Grosso and the Gryg/Cac/Zeb combination will be enough for success somewhere, without renovation, but that will depend totally on how fit Momo can remain after he returns from his latest injury. The Malian literally makes the width of the pitch his OWN...creating a barrier in front of the whole defence. His presence can never be underestimated...With him back, Grosso and Cac, two players who like to get forward, and can shoot and cross, we could be fine.

We can get maybe 2 more years out of Camo, but he needs a backup. Someone young, skilful, quick, eager...Iago? Can he play on the right, either as a winger or tucked in closer towards the middle? Cannavaro will need a challenger/replacement. I wish Ariuado was getting some playing time. He looked gifted in his brief showing last season.

The best we can do for now, is keep giving Caceres a chance. Stick with Grosso. See how we fare when Momo and Marchiso are back...Both of them are class acts. Having three players capable of doing a sterling job in the 2 defensive midfield positions, will greatly improve our whole defensive structure, and in turn the attack. Poulsen has done okay. Whilst Melo has been patchy, at times imperious, at times dangerously profligate with possession...Momo and Marchisio are a different class to the Dane.

These are exciting times. Forza Juve...
It has not been beautiful to watch Delpiero play only 7 minutes and the rest he was injured or left in bench!

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
But Juventus are stronger than Inter according to Matrix:shifty:
Well Its true. Juve have more creative players and play with more technic. Inter play with more brute force. We have Del Piero, Camo, Giovinco and Diego. Inter have Sneijder, Motta and I guess Stankovic. We can win the scudetto this year. I know we can. We just need to play at our best every week.
If you think about it matrix might be right. Our attack injury free is on par if not better than theirs. Our midfield would make them our bitch physically any day of the week. If anything, their wingbacks are better but I would put ours of canna/Chiellini ahead of theirs anyday as well (maybe that is biased). Buffon>Caesar and that is and will always be obvious.

Mohad: I agree as well with you, our creative exceeds theirs but they at times work the ball around with ease. I guarantee if refs were more stern on them like they are on everyone else they would be struggling, especially as that would get them out of their rhythm not to mention a load of their players would be missing with suspensions. @ the refs:sergio:

Diego>sneijder
Gio/Camo>stank
Melo/Momo>Viera
Marchiso (now)<Motta...soon that will change
Chiellini>Samuel
Canna(when on form)>Lucio
Buffon>Caesar
Trez= or>Eto, depends on form
Amauri<Milito
DP>Balotelli

Just my thoughts...I neglected the wingbacks for obvious reasons:sergio:

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
If you think about it matrix might be right. Our attack injury free is on par if not better than theirs. Our midfield would make them our bitch physically any day of the week. If anything, their wingbacks are better but I would put ours of canna/Chiellini ahead of theirs anyday as well (maybe that is biased). Buffon>Caesar and that is and will always be obvious.

Mohad: I agree as well with you, our creative exceeds theirs but they at times work the ball around with ease. I guarantee if refs were more stern on them like they are on everyone else they would be struggling, especially as that would get them out of their rhythm not to mention a load of their players would be missing with suspensions. @ the refs:sergio:

Diego>sneijder
Gio/Camo>stank
Melo/Momo>Viera
Marchiso (now)<Motta...soon that will change
Chiellini>Samuel
Canna(when on form)>Lucio
Buffon>Caesar
Trez= or>Eto, depends on form
Amauri<Milito
DP>Balotelli

Just my thoughts...I neglected the wingbacks for obvious reasons:sergio:
Comparing teams player by player is not showing the whole truth. Team characteristics are different. For some reason you also ignored fullbacks, while Maicon pretty much is the best around.

Basically when i watch Inters lineup, sure some players are not that good, one can argue if Lucio is better than our CD-duo for example, but as a whole, the team is clicking and looks more solid. Also it seems their key players are less injury prone.

Oh and Etò is one of the best strikers in the world. And for my surprise, Mourinho has combined a really good duo with him and Milito.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I cant wait for the day when Moratti decides to sack Mourinho since they aint winning CL. Its then when we will rule Italy again.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Comparing teams player by player is not showing the whole truth. Team characteristics are different. For some reason you also ignored fullbacks, while Maicon pretty much is the best around.

Basically when i watch Inters lineup, sure some players are not that good, one can argue if Lucio is better than our CD-duo for example, but as a whole, the team is clicking and looks more solid. Also it seems their key players are less injury prone.
You pretty much rephrased what I said into an argument. I am not sure if you are agreeing with me or not.

Let me retype differently b/c perhaps my point didn't come across the first time. I am not comparing their team man v man to say we are better. They have played that same formation two years now whereas we are just starting. When we are injury free and "clicking" as you say we are the better team IMO. They are more physical which is why they arent the injury prone team like ours. We have smaller less physical players that attract attention with their ball handling, injuries will come because sooner or later teams need to get them players off the ball.

I agree their team is clicking more, but they have a lot less injuries and a lot more money to spend on depth that can easily replace their starters. I didn't mention their wingbacks because I already know theirs is better which was the point of my less assessment after the player comparisons.

The fact that refs seem to neglect their dirty/harsh fouls also plays in their favor. Stephan, if they had their fair share of yellows/reds that they deserve they wouldn't be clicking the way they do now. They deserve more discipline from refs than they are getting and as you saw against Roma that plays in their favor.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
:D

I did say in the last paragraph that perhaps I am being biased. :snoop:

lets be serious though, when it comes to goals scored which is exactly what their job is....trez thank you very much.
Juventus 5:2 Atalanta - Trez scores 5th in the very end.
Juventus 2:3 Napoli - good goal, but we couldn't escape the defeat.
Juventus 5:1 Sampdoria - again, Trez scores 5th goal that hardly matters
Juventus 1:1 Bologna - woohoo, Trez goal actually brought us a point
Juventus 2:2 Genoa - and once again Trezegol brings us a point
Juventus 2:0 Lazio - Trez goal in 94th minute that hardly matters.

actually it's the points that matters for Juventus, goals matter for Trez individually, so till this point Trez has brought us 2 points. so if you want to look at it statistically, Trez has got nothing on Eto'O or even Iaquinta and Amauri.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Juventus 5:2 Atalanta - Trez scores 5th in the very end.
Juventus 2:3 Napoli - good goal, but we couldn't escape the defeat.
Juventus 5:1 Sampdoria - again, Trez scores 5th goal that hardly matters
Juventus 1:1 Bologna - woohoo, Trez goal actually brought us a point
Juventus 2:2 Genoa - and once again Trezegol brings us a point
Juventus 2:0 Lazio - Trez goal in 94th minute that hardly matters.

actually it's the points that matters for Juventus, goals matter for Trez individually, so till this point Trez has brought us 2 points. so if you want to look at it statistically, Trez has got nothing on Eto'O or even Iaquinta and Amauri.
It's easy for you to forget form/injuries. Not to mention the 2 PKs eto has scored whereas Trez hasn't had 1.

Trez over Etoo any day of the week. When trez recovers his form, he is the one that will be in the right place at the right time when we need him.

Not to mention the times that Trez comes into some games as a sub where Eto has generally started.

Also, neither have scored yet in Europe and how many more games has Eto playing in Europe than Trez (I am not sure to be honest).

Eto has only brought them 5 points. He generally scores first, they concede then someone else scores for Inter to close the deal.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
They have played that same formation two years now whereas we are just starting.
Maybe the formation is same, but Inter changed a lot of players this summer in that formation. Yet the team is clicking fine.

I agree we are playing better football when we have the key players available. But Inter is, lets say, more clinical. They might not always play the sexiest football, but they get the job done in 99%.

Then again, i dont watch Inter play :D. Its just :inter:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)