A Gorilla, a Spic, a Redneck and a Carcamano walk into a national team...... (1 Viewer)

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Zarate to play for Azzurri?

Saturday 24 October, 2009
There are rumours that if Argentina continue to ignore Mauro Zarate, Marcello Lippi will call the Lazio striker for Italy.

He would be the latest of the ‘Oriundi’ – South Americans who play for the Azzurri – to switch sides after Mauro Camoranesi and soon-to-be Amauri.

Zarate is available immediately for selection, as he already has an Italian passport because his mother was born in Catanzaro.

According to the Corriere dello Sport, the hitman could be a late addition to the 2010 World Cup squad.

Despite his splendid form for Lazio, he has only ever played for Argentina at Under-20 level and so is not tied down to that nation by FIFA’s rules.

However, it would be a turnaround for Lippi, who stated he was not interested in any more Oriundi after Camoranesi and Amauri.

Others put themselves forward for consideration, such as Inter midfielder Thiago Motta and Roma’s Brazilian winger Rodrigo Taddei, but the Coach ruled them out.
there has been a lot spoken over national identity on these forums and it is a hot topic in Scotland at the moment. there has been a rule change in Britain so that kids not born in Scotland but have been at school in Scotland for 5 years or more can now become eligible to play for Scotland.
this rule has really came about due to the curious case of Andy Driver, now Driver is English, born there to English parents but he moved to scotland as a young boy and went to school here,grew up here,has all his friends and family in Scotland. he broke into the hearts team as a boy and has been attracting a lot of attention from English clubs, he came out and said he would love to play for Scotland and described teh rules forbidding him from playing as "unfortunate" his form was so good he was called up by Stuart Pierce for Englands squad for the recent under-21 championship.

the rule changes mean he now qualifies for Scotland but some people are not happy and are talking about blood lines being the be-all and end-all,but here is my argument,Matt Elliot had more right to play for Scotland than Andy Driver does,Matt Elliot was called up and accumulated a few caps before disgracing the jersey my lamping someone during a qualifying match. fair enough you may say, his grandparent was Scottish so he has "Scottish blood" running through his veins,yet he had never set foot in Scotland in his life before he was called into the squad,now does he have more right than Andy Driver,raised in Scotland,schooled in Scotland and feels Scottish t play for this country?

i ask this as the above article got me thinking,can someone with the loosest of ties to a country truly feel the passion of playing for a country more than someone who actually lives there? we have the Americans on this forum who were spitting blood over Guiseppi Rossi's decision to declare himself Italian, you have the Amauri situation where he may choose to be Italian simply because he now qualifies for a passport. Ballotelli on the other hand is not Italian by birth,has no bloodline to Italy but has grown up there and is desperate to play for his adopted country.

there are cases where this has proved successful,Trezeguet could have played for Argentina,Zidane Algeria,Lizerazu,Petit and Pires-Spain,Vieira-Senegal were all successful for France. cameronesi has won the world cup with Italy but has said he still feels Argentine, does that make true Azzuri fans angry? or is it accepted that in the current world,nationality is all a matter of paperwork?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Well we have had lost players to various countries but the one that stuck to me the most was Sean Dundee(even if he's useless now) but its the norm now.Too bad we are surrounded by shitty african countries like mozambique & namibia,would have been cool if we could poach some nigerian & ghanian talent.:D

OP
Bozi

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
  • Thread Starter #7
    i mean i can see it from both sides when someone jumps ship,Ray Houghto was a Glaswegian born and bred and was about as Irish as i am black but he scored the winning goal against Italy in the group stages of the 94 world cup, but can he ever truly feel the same way as if it had been Scotland

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    Its got nothing to do with whether they feel part of the particular nation they play for but rather the further their careers.If they can get a guaranteed starting spot in another national team & play in official fifa tournaments its game.Its all about exposure & maintaining their marketability imo.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
    You know what's really disgraceful? Poland calling up Brazilian Roger Guerreiro after only two years in the country. Shame on the Polish state and football federation.

Can't blame the player though. Who wouldn't like to play in a World Cup?

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    You know what's really disgraceful? Poland calling up Brazilian Roger Guerreiro after only two years in the country. Shame on the Polish state and football federation.

Can't blame the player though. Who wouldn't like to play in a World Cup?
    Yes but thats because its Poland NT. Ive also heard other stories where smaller/weaker NT would consider "buying" in some brazilian unknown cause the team would clearly play better.

Boz i feel this thread will be closed in couple of days, knowing how other national debates have often ended. :lol: :snoop:

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    No, they changed that rule some while ago, that U-NT footie doesnt restrict anymore. It opened up lots of players NT careers. Generally players who decide to play for their country of origin.

And btw, how often can we beat this dead horse?

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    there has been a lot spoken over national identity on these forums and it is a hot topic in Scotland at the moment. there has been a rule change in Britain so that kids not born in Scotland but have been at school in Scotland for 5 years or more can now become eligible to play for Scotland.
    this rule has really came about due to the curious case of Andy Driver, now Driver is English, born there to English parents but he moved to scotland as a young boy and went to school here,grew up here,has all his friends and family in Scotland. he broke into the hearts team as a boy and has been attracting a lot of attention from English clubs, he came out and said he would love to play for Scotland and described teh rules forbidding him from playing as "unfortunate" his form was so good he was called up by Stuart Pierce for Englands squad for the recent under-21 championship.

the rule changes mean he now qualifies for Scotland but some people are not happy and are talking about blood lines being the be-all and end-all,but here is my argument,Matt Elliot had more right to play for Scotland than Andy Driver does,Matt Elliot was called up and accumulated a few caps before disgracing the jersey my lamping someone during a qualifying match. fair enough you may say, his grandparent was Scottish so he has "Scottish blood" running through his veins,yet he had never set foot in Scotland in his life before he was called into the squad,now does he have more right than Andy Driver,raised in Scotland,schooled in Scotland and feels Scottish t play for this country?

i ask this as the above article got me thinking,can someone with the loosest of ties to a country truly feel the passion of playing for a country more than someone who actually lives there? we have the Americans on this forum who were spitting blood over Guiseppi Rossi's decision to declare himself Italian, you have the Amauri situation where he may choose to be Italian simply because he now qualifies for a passport. Ballotelli on the other hand is not Italian by birth,has no bloodline to Italy but has grown up there and is desperate to play for his adopted country.

there are cases where this has proved successful,Trezeguet could have played for Argentina,Zidane Algeria,Lizerazu,Petit and Pires-Spain,Vieira-Senegal were all successful for France. cameronesi has won the world cup with Italy but has said he still feels Argentine, does that make true Azzuri fans angry? or is it accepted that in the current world,nationality is all a matter of paperwork?
    Id say if there is some "blood" connection, aka the Zarate case, and some others also where one of your parents is from other country or grandparents etc then i do believe the player can play for the other country (his proud of his roots etc).

But there are many cases where id say the player is just desperate and he sees a great opportunity. Amauri imo is a great example. His clearly Brazilian, but he might not be a regular starter for Brazil, while he probably will for Italy.

Salvo

J
    Dec 17, 2007
    balotelli was born and raised in italy no? rossi had italian parents and was raised here for a large portion of his life, i say thats fine

while zarate has distant italian roots i think he should play for argentina as actually a lot of the argentinian team have italian roots.
    i dont want the azzurri becoming the UN of national teams

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Uh oh, this is going to cause a lot of trouble for the racist non-Italian Italien Azzurri fans on this forum.

So, what do you racists think about this?

Beating a dead horse is good when the horse is actually still alive.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Italy steals attacking players to win World Cups, that's all there is to it.

Rossi and his family should be sent Guantanamo under terrorism charges.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ßüякε;2188866 said:
    This is amazing, make sure Zarate knows the words of the ItaliAn national anthem though.
    Unlike Camo, who the faux Italians hated, even though they are as Italian as he is.

Apr 12, 2004
    balotelli was born and raised in italy no? rossi had italian parents and was raised here for a large portion of his life, i say thats fine

while zarate has distant italian roots i think he should play for argentina as actually a lot of the argentinian team have italian roots.
    i dont want the azzurri becoming the UN of national teams
    No, that is reserved for the French.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)