The Official EU Thread (1 Viewer)

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
I can't believe that we do not have a thread for discussing everybodys favourite Union.

The defacto European Union came into being with the signing Treaty of Rome on 25 March 1957 in order to build a European Economic Community (EEC) based on a wider common market covering a whole range of goods and services.

The Treaty of Rome is anchored in the vision of ending war and the division of the European continent.It created a framework for the construction of Europe into the future and a process of creating an ever closer union between the peoples of Europe.

During the half century since the Treaty of Rome was signed, Europe has been transformed. The European Union has helped Europe to move from war and conflict to cooperation and peace.

It has enabled Europeans to replace the economic ruin of the 1940s with a single market of 500 million people and a common currency now used by 320 million Europeans.

As a staunchly pro-European ( a literal federalist) person Im interested in what we have to say about this magnificant, if not slightly bureaucratic , Institution.

The Most pressing issue in the EU currently is the Irish vote on the TEU Lisbon. Unfortunately the irish voting public are almost completely retarded and the NO sid ehas been allowed to blatantly lie about Abortion,Conscription and Economic policy. I fear a no vote but I hope that ther are some intelligent people who have actually read the treaty. Ill be posting EU news etc. in here regardless because its part of my job as a 'lobbyist' :D

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
IrishZebra

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
  • Thread Starter #4
    Is it pronounced "Ewwwww"?
    eeeeee uuuuuuuuuu :D

You should take note the EU zone already spends more on defence and has overall greater economic fortune than the US, you guys are in trouble if we keep getting 'closer'.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of the avatars, Martin. I'm glad you showed them :D

Good times

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Yeah, that's a joke to say the EU or any European country is a threat to the US. Much of Eastern Europe will have problems going forward with current account deficits and probable defaults. Nations like Austria and those in the Balkans have a greater chance of default sooner than we do, even if I acknowledge that we have a MAJOR problem on our hands, that will eventually break. Hell, even Spain is technically in a depression right now.

The EU is a lame duck. Don't worry about them at all. I'm much more worried about the morons we have here continuing quantitive easing and trying to control the foreign exchange market and bond market. Eventually our country will collapse due to our own idiocy -- whether it be in six months or six years I don't know, but the mathematics prove we will eventually default as a nation if these same policies continue, which they will. Only thing that can save the USD is massive deflation in all markets around the globe for a decade.

Meanwhile, Gordon Brown sold Britain's gold reserves at their multi-decade low a few years ago, right around $300/oz, now the price is around $1000. That's a huge net loss. These folks across the pond are just as moronic as policy makers here, and we'll all be driving China's death vans sooner or later.

EU Blows.

OP
    IrishZebra

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
  • Thread Starter #16
    Yeah, that's a joke to say the EU or any European country is a threat to the US. Much of Eastern Europe will have problems going forward with current account deficits and probable defaults. Nations like Austria and those in the Balkans have a greater chance of default sooner than we do, even if I acknowledge that we have a MAJOR problem on our hands, that will eventually break. Hell, even Spain is technically in a depression right now.

The EU is a lame duck. Don't worry about them at all. I'm much more worried about the morons we have here continuing quantitive easing and trying to control the foreign exchange market and bond market. Eventually our country will collapse due to our own idiocy -- whether it be in six months or six years I don't know, but the mathematics prove we will eventually default as a nation if these same policies continue, which they will. Only thing that can save the USD is massive deflation in all markets around the globe for a decade.

Meanwhile, Gordon Brown sold Britain's gold reserves at their multi-decade low a few years ago, right around $300/oz, now the price is around $1000. That's a huge net loss. These folks across the pond are just as moronic as policy makers here, and we'll all be driving China's death vans sooner or later.

EU Blows.
    If we're are letting current account matters dictate geo-political influence now then you may have a point. However, the figures themselves do not lie (ill try and find them later) the Eurozone is makes more money (incorporating tis FDI) and has a slight better funded defence policie(s) overall, obviously the amalgamation of these states could be a bit of a moot point if the trend of the EU towards supra instead of intra state behaviour wasn't clear for all to see.

What you're talking about is economics and we are all pretty much in the shit right now, but to base your argument of that alone is shortsighted, the resurgent Russia foreign policy doctrine coupled with the collossus that is China and the emerging regional powers of India and to a lesser extent Brazil are indeed a threat to US supremacy, The EU although not a state per se (yet :D) offers an attractive geo-political moral compass especially due to closening ties with Russia. The BRIC economy is bigger than the US economy by a couple of billion

I know its very American to believe that you can't be touched, but you can, in the Social Political and Economic shperes your influence is waining anybody that would argue to the contrary is deluded. You can call the EU a lame duck, most American scholars do, all of them saying that the US can dominate proceding in any theater of the world, i.e. being a hegemon, true its slightly ahead of the pack in most respect but not as far ahead as it was 20 or 30 years ago.

If memory serves the EU economy is worth 13 trillion the US 14 trillion, thats not really a lame duck to be fair. I think defence spending is about 80million more than the US overall.

You also have to count the 'Moral Compass' effect...

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    :lol: i pray for the day nato is dissolved and the euros are left to fend off the ruskies and the zipperheads by themselves. only countries with nuclear capabilities are the frogs and the limeys, would you really want either protecting you? as for economics :rofl:

OP
    IrishZebra

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
  • Thread Starter #18
    :lol: i pray for the day nato is dissolved and the euros are left to fend off the ruskies and the zipperheads by themselves. only countries with nuclear capabilities are the frogs and the limeys, would you really want either protecting you? as for economics :rofl:
    Look at the facts jackass...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)