Android (5 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Well, let's talk android, anything from devices to applications and games.

I have a HTC Magic and I'm really enjoying it. The latest application I got was Babbler which is a Facebook client. It works good and it has a much simpler layout than the web FB.

Still my favourite applications are Chomp SMS, Phonebook and Taskiller

Buy on AliExpress.com

Omair

Herticity
Sep 27, 2006
I don't read their RSS .. I just use it for football updates..

to know what's going on in games i'm not planning to watch or can't watch ..

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    I don't read their RSS .. I just use it for football updates..

to know what's going on in games i'm not planning to watch or can't watch ..
    For this purpose, Soccer Live works great. They have a lot of leagues.

Is android sluggish on magic?
    It's fine. I heard it's more sluggish on Hero than on Magic.

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002

hero looks great, a pity it's sluggish. I might just take the plunge when they fine-tune it.

Omair

Herticity
    Sep 27, 2006
    uhmm .. i'll check it ..

i also liked chompsms .. but in saudi it's kinda stupid .. might work better in europe because of the extra advantages ..

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    hero looks great, a pity it's sluggish. I might just take the plunge when they fine-tune it.
    There is no doubt that Hero is the best looking android device out there. They say that Samsung Galaxy is a powerful machine but it looks too robust, unlike the slick HTC's

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    uhmm .. i'll check it ..

i also liked chompsms .. but in saudi it's kinda stupid .. might work better in europe because of the extra advantages ..
    What advantages do we have that are lacking in Saudi?

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    I m considering to buy the HTC Hero, rather than Samsung Omnia II (WINMO OS)
    Do you guys think that the android OS has matured now?
    There are several devices that support it and a dozen more coming.

I m particularly interested about his browser. Is there any good browser that has full flash support? Opera mobile 9.5 is good but, it has some issues...

And my sec priority, does it support any GPS programs, like the iGo8 ?

Omair

Herticity
    Sep 27, 2006
    I m considering to buy the HTC Hero, rather than Samsung Omnia II (WINMO OS)
    Do you guys think that the android OS has matured now?
    There are several devices that support it and a dozen more coming.

I m particularly interested about his browser. Is there any good browser that has full flash support? Opera mobile 9.5 is good but, it has some issues...

And my sec priority, does it support any GPS programs, like the iGo8 ?
    We have google maps in HTC Dream .. worked like a charm when i was in the UK earlier this summer .. but again it needs much development and updating for optimum use in Saudi .. I haven't seen an independent app yet!

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #15

Fotmob is great, much better than Soccer Live.

Is it recommended to root the device? I'm a bit afraid of doing it, are there any risks? what would I benefit from it?

Omair

Herticity
    Sep 27, 2006
    Fotmob is great, much better than Soccer Live.

Is it recommended to root the device? I'm a bit afraid of doing it, are there any risks? what would I benefit from it?
    ah you're coming around! even though Soccer Live have way more leagues .. But u have to check it manually.. on the other hand all the leagues one can remotely care about (except Europa League) are in Fotmob and it's live update is just perfect and informative..

about rooting, I suggest talking to Rami about it. He did it and blogged about it he's way more adventurous than I am when it comes to computers and technology.

I want to root and do all that but not until I have a permanent good internet connection (not sucky dorms connections)

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Yes go ahead and root, its not as hard as it sounds. You can then install other Android images like Cyanogen's image, which is much faster, and he adds tons of features from upcoming "official" releases. For example, i got system-wide search right now. You can tether, change your theme, install apps on your SD....and lots of other cool stuff...

As for the Hero's sluggishness, they fixed it:

http://gizmodo.com/5340981/software-update-fixes-the-htc-heros-only-real-problem

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #18
    I will hold on for rooting a bit, I still don't need it yet.

I have another question though, I added your kickass google calendars but I can't see them on Android's calendar. I have added my Google account calendar on it but the events don't seem to appear. Should I sync in one way or another?

Omair

Herticity
    Sep 27, 2006
    I will hold on for rooting a bit, I still don't need it yet.

I have another question though, I added your kickass google calendars but I can't see them on Android's calendar. I have added my Google account calendar on it but the events don't seem to appear. Should I sync in one way or another?
    I'm having the same problem .. I wonder what's the difference..

I'll check the settings here and there, apparently it's because this is an "other calendar"

Omair

Herticity
    Sep 27, 2006
    and yes .. If you go any Juve event you'll find an option that says copy to my calendar .. if you do that it will be synced in!

I'm still trying to figure it out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)