Sir Bobby loses cancer fight (1 Viewer)

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Sir Bobby loses cancer fight
Friday 31 Jul 2009
Former England and Newcastle United manager Sir Bobby Robson has died at the age of 76 after a lengthy battle with lung cancer.

Robson enjoyed a fine playing career as an inside forward with Fulham and West Bromwich Albion, also winning 20 England caps before embarking on an illustrious managerial career.

Following a brief stint in charge of the Cottagers, Robson made his name at Ipswich Town, guiding the club to FA Cup glory in 1978 and UEFA Cup success three years later.

His work with Town earned him the England job in 1982 and Robson would spend eight years at the helm of the national team, taking them to the World Cup quarter-finals in 1986.

Four years later, Robson's side went one stage further before being knocked out of the 1990 finals in a dramatic penalty shootout by West Germany.

After leaving his England post, Robson took the opportunity to try his hand in Europe and enjoyed spells in charge of PSV Eindhoven, Sporting Lisbon, FC Porto and Barcelona.

The son of the north-east finally came home in September 1999 to take charge of Newcastle and he spent five years in charge at St James' Park, during which he was awarded a knighthood in 2002.
----------------------------------------------------

RIP

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Another one of those threads where it starts by a piece of news and is followed by pages and pages of RIP?

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
That sucks, I saw him the other day in that England VS Germany retired players friendly that they played for him (maybe some charity cause as well). He received his order of merit award from UEFA and they played that song from Italia 90 for him and he teared up. He didn't look well at all, at least now he isnt suffering anymore. RIP Sir Bobby one of the true gentlemen in football.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You've got to be a pretty damn good coach to get England with a penalty shootout of a World Cup Final.

Or to win a European trophy with Ipswich Town.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Mou pays homage to Sir Bob
Friday 31 July, 2009
Inter Coach Jose Mourinho has paid homage to Sir Bobby Robson who died this morning after a long battle with lung cancer at the age of 76.

Robson hired Mourinho as a translator when he took charge of Barcelona and in so doing gave the 'Special One' his first big break in football.

“I didn't speak with him for the last two months because I was in difficulty,” a statement from Mourinho read.

“I was in difficulty because I didn't want to think that he was about to finish. It was not the image I wanted to take with me.

“It wasn't the voice I wanted to hear. I will always remember the Bobby Robson who had passion for life and football and who always had enthusiasm.

“Bobby Robson is one of those people who never dies for all that they have given to people like myself, who had the fortune to walk by his side.

“My thoughts are with all of those dearest to him,” the statement concluded.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
England lost to Germany in the semi-final of Italia '90 in a shootout.

That's the best England have ever done at a World Cup, except when they won it.

They didn't even have a particularly good team in 1990.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)