Euro Trash vs. the Dirty South Americans (4 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Everybody knows the Europeans and South Americans provide the best talent. But who has provided the best throughout history and currently in football? The Europeans think they're the best while the Southern Americans think they're better.

The point of the thread is to conjure up some starting XI's and postulate as to who would win the match.

Buy on AliExpress.com

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Yashin
G.Neville Baresi Beckenbauer Cabrini
L.Enrique Zidane Keane Giggs
Muller Van-Basten

Pumpido
Cafu Cordoba Montero R.Carlos
Jairzinho Maradona Simeone Rivellino
Ronaldo Pele

I'm sure i'm forgetting a lot of players,and this was just over the top of my head.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Europe better.

Yashin, Kahn, Buffon, Zoff, Peruzzi, Casillas

Beckenbauer, Baresi, Scirea, Maldini, Nesta, Zambrotta, Thuram,

Makalele, Vieria, Roy Keane, Gattuso, Deschamps, Davids, Rijkaard

Gerrard, Nedved, Platini, Zidane, Figo, Gullit, Cruijff,

Muller, Best, Baggio, Shevchenko, Del Piero, Nistelrooy, Henry, Inzaghi, Raul, Bergkamp, Di Stefano, Van Basten, Boniperti,

and that's just off the top of my head.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Europe better.

Yashin, Kahn, Buffon, Zoff, Peruzzi, Casillas

Beckenbauer, Baresi, Scirea, Maldini, Nesta, Zambrotta, Thuram,

Makalele, Vieria, Roy Keane, Gattuso, Deschamps, Davids, Rijkaard

Gerrard, Nedved, Platini, Zidane, Figo, Gullit, Cruijff,

Muller, Best, Baggio, Shevchenko, Del Piero, Nistelrooy, Henry, Inzaghi, Raul, Bergkamp, Di Stefano, Van Basten, Boniperti,

and that's just off the top of my head.
Taffarel,Chilavert,Dida,Gilmar,Barbosa,Higuita

Ayala,Cordoba,Montero,R.Carlos,Passarella,Carlos Alberto,Nílton Santos,J.Zanetti,Figueroa,Nasazzi,Suarez

Sorin,Cubillas,Socrates,Valderrama,Simeone,Mascherano,Emerson,Redondo

Ortega,Maradona,Kaka,Rivaldo,Ronaldinho,Fransescoli,Orsi,Veron,Dunga,

Sanchez,Crespo,Romari,Bebeto,Kempes,Ronaldo,Batistuta,Zamorano,Salas,Lopez.Caniggia

Not really over the top of my head.But still:D

Defensivley,I'd have to go with Europe.Offensivley,i think the south americans own them.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Brazil + Argentina has the best concentration of talent in the world.
Thats for sure! They will always have one Ronaldo, Andriano, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Robinho, Messi coming
and Europe rarely counter attacks with the likes of ZZ and C.Ronaldo (unless you consider overhyped players like Bechkam+Ballack at the same level...)

Of course, the extended Europe is marginally bigger and you might find more players to add into a list, but the % of quality player is inferior IMO.
And they always represented some bursts of talents, not the constant flow, the south Americans were able to provide.
Germany and Italy are not as good as before and France abuses the naturalization of players coming from the colonies.
England and Spain seem to compensate for them though...

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I don't like talking about players i haven't watched. So i'll just make a team of players that are playing right now and compare the two.

South America(4-3-3)

-------------------------J.Cesar------------

-----Maicon------Juan-------Zapata----Aurelio

-------------------Melo-------Mascherrano

--------------------------Kaka-----------------

-------------Messi-------------------Robinho--

--------------------------Aguero--------

Europe(4-4-2):

-----------------------Buffon------

---Ramos---------Rio-------Vidic------Evra

------------------Xavi--------De Rossi---

---Ronaldo------------------------------Ribery

-----------------Torres------Villa

Pretty equal to me, i can't say which is stronger tbh.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I'll also create two teams but only from players I have watched

Julio Cesar
Cafu Cordoba Montero R. Carlos
Emerson Veron
Maradona Messi
Ronaldo Romario

Van Basten Raul
Zidane
Keane Deschamps Matthaüs
Brehme Baresi Cannavaro Thuram​

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I don't like talking about players i haven't watched. So i'll just make a team of players that are playing right now and compare the two.

South America(4-3-3)

-------------------------J.Cesar------------

-----Maicon------Juan-------Zapata----Aurelio

-------------------Melo-------Mascherrano

--------------------------Kaka-----------------

-------------Messi-------------------Robinho--

--------------------------Aguero--------

Europe(4-4-2):

-----------------------Buffon------

---Ramos---------Rio-------Vidic------Evra

------------------Xavi--------De Rossi---

---Ronaldo------------------------------Ribery

-----------------Torres------Villa

Pretty equal to me, i can't say which is stronger tbh.
Yeah, pretty equal indeed.
Just that Europe will have a better bench with Ibrahimovic, Gerrard, Iniesta, Casillas, Lampard, Terry etc.

soulslider

Rregula sound
May 16, 2006
I'll also create two teams but only from players I have watched

Julio Cesar
Cafu Cordoba Montero R. Carlos
Emerson Veron
Maradona Messi
Ronaldo Romario

Van Basten Raul
Zidane
Keane Deschamps Matthaüs
Brehme Baresi Cannavaro Thuram​
easy win for south americans since europeans are playing without a goalie :p

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yeah, pretty equal indeed.
Just that Europe will have a better bench with Ibrahimovic, Gerrard, Iniesta, Casillas, Lampard, Terry etc.
Oh fuck, i forgot Ibrahimovic. You can put him there in place of either Torres or Villa. But ya, Europe's bench is much stronger.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You don't need to make up teams for this.

World Cups won:

Europe 9 - 9 South America.

So it's a tie.

Close thread. :D

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Not only that, but the Europeans never won a WC out of Europe, while the South Americans won twice outside the Americas (1958 in Sweden, 2002 in Japan-Korea).

It will be interesting to see what will happen in South Africa. Europeans never won a WC in different time zones, when the WC was played in USA, Mexico, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Japan& Korea.
South Africa is in different continent but in almost the same time zone as Europe (CET+1).

It can't be just a coincidence that Europeans never won out of Europe, when there wwas a big time zone difference. We're talking about 8 such cases. In 8/8 they couldn't win with different time zone, while in 9/10 they won it in Europe.

South Africa will be a middle ground for the Europeans (out of Europe but same time zone) and i wonder what will happen.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Not only that, but the Europeans never won a WC out of Europe, while the South Americans won twice outside the Americas (1958 in Sweden, 2002 in Japan-Korea).

It will be interesting to see what will happen in South Africa. Europeans never won a WC in different time zones, when the WC was played in USA, Mexico, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Japan& Korea.
South Africa is in different continent but in almost the same time zone as Europe (CET+1).

It can't be just a coincidence that Europeans never won out of Europe, when there wwas a big time zone difference. We're talking about 8 such cases. In 8/8 they couldn't win with different time zone, while in 9/10 they won it in Europe.

South Africa will be a middle ground for the Europeans (out of Europe but same time zone) and i wonder what will happen.
I think it is more to do with the playing conditions.

I don't think SA will be particularly hot or humid next June/July, so I wouldn't be surprised if a European team wins it.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Yeah but 99% of the SA team players play/live in europe on regular basis.
That would be correct for the last 3-4 world cups. In the previous ones big majority of the SA players actually played in SA. For example, Pele's generation was almost entirely based in South America. At the 1962 WC in Chile all 22 Brazilian players played in Brazil's league. In 1970 in Mexico it was the same. All 22 were from the domestic league. Argentina in 1978 had only one single player who played in Europe (Kempes), while in 1986 only 6 of the 22 Argies played in Europe.
Even in 1994 (the last WC played in the American continent) less than 50% of the Brazilians who won the world cup (10 out of 22) played in Europe.

Europeans on the other hand are always based in Europe.

But you're probably talking about the following world cup. Well, yeah, the same time zone and the similar weather conditions (as Red said, humidity, temperature) in South Africa and Europe won't be a handicap for the South Americans because most of them live in Europe anyway, but what's important, it won't be a handicap for the Europeans.
For the first time the Europeans won't feel the time zone and weather handicap when the WC will be played out of Europe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)