American NFL Football (12 Viewers)

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
Since the new NFL season isn't too far ahead and we have a few NFL fans here, I think we need some red-hot NFL discussion. Hope people post, cause if the action doesn't pick-up in the thread I'll have to keep it going on my own, and nobody wants that. :angel:

I'll start things with my preview of the NFC divisons(predicted winner in italics, might do the AFC later). The only one I'm really familiar with is the NFC North, as that's where my team is, so feel free to comment, mock or argue.

NFC North
Minnesota Vikings
Detroit Lions
Green Bay Packers
Chicago Bears

The Vikings has had the best offseason, and should win this divison. Their D is now existent and their O should hold up despite losing the Superfreak. The Lions and Bears don't have a quarterback, and the Packers lack a defense and an O-line. This should be a good season (go Vikes!).

NFC East
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins
New York Giants
Dallas Cowboys

The Eagles' division. The Cowboys have Bledsoe as their QB, the Giants will improve but have too much ground catch up, and the Redskins lack a QB they believe in and generally seem like a mess. The Eagles are NFC favourites, and has this in the bag. Hope TO shows up.

NFC South
Carolina Panthers
Atlanta Falcons
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
New Orlean Saints

It will be very close between Carolina and Atlanta IMO, but I think the Panthers will win. Not a big Vick fan, and I don't think that he and his team can follow up on their great last year. The Buccs will improve, the Saints won't.

NFC West
St. Louis Rams
Seattle Seahawks
San Francisco 49ers
Arizona Cardinals

To me the weakest divison, in the NFC (and probably the NFL). The Rams are ok with Bulger, Holt and their O-line, and I think that Jackson will do well also. The Seahawks are mediocre, San Fran and Arizona are simply poor football teams.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I'm feeling it....the Detroit Lions will make the Playoffs this year, just watch. The Lions will then go on to play in the Superbowl at their own stadium, Ford Field, in Detroit. It will be a fairytale story and it will happen, mark my words. :D

:(

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
If they gave out SuperBowl trophies for receiving corps alone, Detroit might finally get its own...

OP
Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    Who do you think will play QB for the Lions in the end, Andy?

And yeah, it's weird how they keep on drafting receivers. Just hope they drafted wrong this year with Williams, and that it is Williamson that is the the best rookie WR in the North. Watched a South Carolina game yesterday and it wasn't easy for the kid, never seen a team throw the football so little.

Bruschi won't play for the Patriots, that will be a blow to them. Maybe they won't win finally. TO will show up at camp, but says he will be mad cause things didn't go his way. Wonder if that is all talk or if he actually will be a disturbance. Can't really see his relationship with McNabb being too good right now.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++
    Who do you think will play QB for the Lions in the end, Andy?
    Mariucci will probably stick with Jeff Garcia as he did a few years ago with the 49ers, however we will see the average Joey Harrington get his fair, or unfair, share of appearances. Still not excited about our options this year.

Williams should be a decent player for us, but the problem is we have all these receivers but nobody who can throw them the ball. Watch out for our RB Kevin Jones; he had a good rookie season last year.

OP
    Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++
    Dude, where are the Steelers in your little markup up there?
    Talking to me? They're in the AFC.

I think the Steelers should pay Ward. They told him they'd re-do his contract this offseason, not doing it is bad taste. I also don't think they'll do that good this year.

You a fan?

OP
    Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    Serge, wouldn't it have been better for San Fran to stay with Rattay this year, address another need, and try to get that Leinart guy next year? I take it from things I've read that he's on another level.

Grossman broke his ankle yesterday, the Bears got no quality backups. I'm officially counting them out of the North.

The Vikings won yesterday and Culpepper apparently looked sharp, this could be a great season.
    ++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++
    Don't tell me that people in Oslo sit in front of their TVs on Sunday evenings to watch American Football...
    Not many people do, but they have the possibilty(if they have basic cable). :) I'd wish more people did it though!

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    With all due respect to everone in this thread- American Football is the most boring sport to watch. It is fun to play, I played varsity and had lots of fun.

The only game I watch is the Superbowl, and that happens for 2 reasons:

1. Great Commercials
    2. It is a great excuse for your friends to get together and get drunk.

Other than that- I can't imagine watching a "game", in which there are 10 minutes of strategy/commercials per every 10 seconds of action.

Rugby is much better.

OP
    Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    ++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++
    Other than that- I can't imagine watching a "game", in which there are 10 minutes of strategy/commercials per every 10 seconds of action.
    Here they show the games again on Monday, without the commercials. Guess that would be something for you.

What position did you play?

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

Here they show the games again on Monday, without the commercials. Guess that would be something for you.

What position did you play?
    Football with no commercials??? AWESOME!!!!

I was the first kicker and I played nose-guard.

Ha ha... that was 11 years ago. I'll post some pictures when I get home.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Serge, wouldn't it have been better for San Fran to stay with Rattay this year, address another need, and try to get that Leinart guy next year? I take it from things I've read that he's on another level.
    He's not on another level, and this is coming from a lifelong USC fan.
    He's a great quarterback, don't get me wrong.
    However, he has so much talent on offense surrounding him (Dwayne Jarrett, Patrick Turner, Lendale White, Reggie Bush, Dominique Byrd), that their offense could actually compete on an NFL level.

I'm not kidding you, either. Their offense is that good.

Alex Smith has the potential to become a franchise quarterback, and by all accounts in training cap, he's looking very good so far.

At Utah, Smith basically had to do everything himself, and he led Utah to a 12-0 record, including a win over Pittsburgh in the Fiesta Bowl.

He threw 31 TD's with only 4 INT's, and ran for 10 touchdowns as well.

The other thing to keep in mind is that he only turned 21 3 months ago, so he could be the youngest starting Quarterback in the NFL in the last 20 years.

edit- In high school, I played Free Safety and Wide Receiver

edit part II- Besides, who else was San Fran going to get with that #1 pick? There was no team out there that was offering enough in a trade to move up, and unless Offensive Lineman D'Brickshaw Ferguson from Virginia had come out, there really wasn't another consensus #1 pick out there. Braylon Edwards certainly wasn't it, and there were no Cornerbacks coming out that reminded anyone of Deion Sanders.

Apr 12, 2004

Talking to me? They're in the AFC.

I think the Steelers should pay Ward. They told him they'd re-do his contract this offseason, not doing it is bad taste. I also don't think they'll do that good this year.

You a fan?
    Fan doesn't even come close to how much I love them. Big Ben can father my children.

Andy, i would have made a sick FS, ok hands, faster than most other FS's, bulk up about another 15-20 lbs. I would be sick.

OP
    Torkel

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    ++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
    edit- In high school, I played Free Safety and Wide Receiver
    You're pretty big right, you were probably a Burress type of receiver. Free safety seems like a lot of fun, been thinking of possibly playing some football this year as my University sort of has a league. What I really would like to play is defensive end, but at 6-3/205 I'm too light right now. Free safety would probably be my second choice.

How fast are you Burke? Ever timed a 40y dash?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003

You're pretty big right, you were probably a Burress type of receiver. Free safety seems like a lot of fun, been thinking of possibly playing some football this year as my University sort of has a league. What I really would like to play is defensive end, but at 6-3/205 I'm too light right now. Free safety would probably be my second choice.

How fast are you Burke? Ever timed a 40y dash?
    In high school, I ran a 4.47 40yd dash.

Then again, I was 6'1" , 170 pounds when I was 17. That was almost 20 years ago.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Bürke ] ++

I ran a 4.45, and I was 6'0" 185.

I am faster than the starting corners at my school.
    I was also coming back after 15 months of being out with a torn ACL in my left knee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)