Douglas Costa (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I have heard of Douglas Costa, he has been linked with Man Utd.

But I am almost certain him or Mattioni will not be at Juve.

StormRuller

Jul 18, 2004
Felipe Mattioni is right-winger and Douglas Costa is a midfielder... they both started playing in the main Gremio team this season!!

Felipe is good player... I only see 2 matches of him but now he is injured... Douglas Costa is good too but now he's no longer in Gremio's starting line-up... but he's young and is good to get him!!

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
Felipe Mattioni is right-winger and Douglas Costa is a midfielder... they both started playing in the main Gremio team this season!!

Felipe is good player... I only see 2 matches of him but now he is injured... Douglas Costa is good too but now he's no longer in Gremio's starting line-up... but he's young and is good to get him!!
Mattioni is a RB isn't he? Everytime I see us linked to a Brazilian defender plying their trade in their native country I can't help but think of the next Roberto Carlos himself Athirson.. No reason to deter us from entering the South American market but nonetheless one of our biggest flops IMO given that I was so excited and genuinely thought this guy was good all those years ago

xkorpyon

Jan 13, 2008
What happened to that Brazilian we had ages ago, Gladstone?
Last year he was on loan at Sporting but even there he could not pick a place on the starting XI...
Then he finished is contract with Cruzeiro and they didn't wanted to renew...so he went to Palmeira where he is actually...

Not a good player IMO...

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
never really seen him play for an extended period of time TBH but like other young brazilian defenders or brazilian defenders in general for that matter he sure isn't setting the world on fire

Jul 15, 2006
Last I heard he went back to Brazil (after being on loan at Sporting)
Last year he was on loan at Sporting but even there he could not pick a place on the starting XI...
Then he finished is contract with Cruzeiro and they didn't wanted to renew...so he went to Palmeira where he is actually...

Not a good player IMO...
never really seen him play for an extended period of time TBH but like other young brazilian defenders or brazilian defenders in general for that matter he sure isn't setting the world on fire
Oh ok, thanks..

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Brazil has broken the myth of they cant defend a while ago, they have had and still have several good CBs nowadays. To the point of a top class CB like Pepe chose Portugal because he would have been 5th choice in Brazil.

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
Brazil has broken the myth of they cant defend a while ago, they have had and still have several good CBs nowadays. To the point of a top class CB like Pepe chose Portugal because he would have been 5th choice in Brazil.
For the most successful nation in football history the definately haven't produced the anticapated amount of world class defenders and I beg to differ that they have in recent years, Pepe is far from being categorized as "one of the best defenders in the world" and Lucio, Luisao and Kleber are from being categorized as just "good"

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I guess the cliche stereotype will stick regardless of how many good CBs they have. They several capable defenders, and dont need to envy much in that department.

About Pepe. I have seen Pepe own the best of players in CL like they were nothing, and then with Real regurarly eat up Ronaldinho and Eto in el classico like it was the easiest thing to do (one of the most impressive defending I had seen in a while, see clip to understand what I mean). He is a top class CB, having unfocused moments here or there doesnt change that whatsoever.

I think mainly the exaggered fe of 30m euros made people automatically think he is average and overrated, instead of take time to see what a class defender he is.

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
I guess the cliche stereotype will stick regardless of how many good CBs they have. They several capable defenders, and dont need to envy much in that department.

About Pepe. I have seen Pepe own the best of players in CL like they were nothing, and then with Real regurarly eat up Ronaldinho and Eto in el classico like it was the easiest thing to do (one of the most impressive defending I had seen in a while, see clip to understand what I mean). He is a top class CB, having unfocused moments here or there doesnt change that whatsoever.

I think mainly the exaggered fe of 30m euros made people automatically think he is average and overrated, instead of take time to see what a class defender he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJdjgQ6YN6I&feature=related
I saw that El Classico game as well and yes he looked at a level that not many defenders in the world are at or ever will be at, but did you also happen to catch him the other 36 games or in fact any game this season. Granted I am over-reacting by saying 36 games but in reality the majority of those games he was average..

It's not the price tag that overates him, it's the one off excellent and I mean excellent performances that overrate him.

I gues we'll have to agree to disagree then:p

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
He hardly played last season, Real suffered in parts in defence because he was out injured so much, big parts of the season. Their defence was quite mean force when he was playing. Really fiercely physical force of nature kinda defender. And Reals drawbacks in defence is their disoriented defensive organization. they have NONE. Its not about the lack of quality in the likes of Pepe, who really is a class defender (wanted him since his Porto days, and as you can recall, we were after him), but how they defend as headless chickens as a unit (and have zero cover from their midfield).

I mean, our defence is strong as a unit because they are tactically close knit group that function as one mostly, and thats despite our back 4 mainly being average players, and players who are of the lesser quality of the likes of Ramos, Pepe, Heinze etc.

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
If i remember correctly he made about 25 or so appearances but I can't argue with you in the fact that Real Madrid's backline cohesiveness is atrocious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)