Boxing (14 Viewers)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
In one week, our fellow Juventino, "Super" Joe Calzaghe takes on Roy Jones Jr in the main event of a scheduled 12 round Light- heavyweight world championship match at Madison Square Garden in New York City

I think its going to be a good fight, but one that should have taken place 5 or 6 years ago. This will be the second time that I cheer against Jones, as I always liked him as a fighter (I cheered against him when he fought my friend, Vinny Pazienza back in 1996).

I think Joe has the speed and smarts to beat Jones, what do you guys think ??

Buy on AliExpress.com

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Vin this is should be a decent fight. Definitely should have happened a long time ago. What belt are they fighting for and who is the champion? I don't follow the light heavyweight division too closely.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
should be a belter of a fight,Calzaghi wants to go out at the top but i think if he does win he will be tempted to go on, i have watched Joe for years and am glad he now gets the recognition he deserves

on a side note David Haye is another i think will have a lasting legacy in the boxing world

malducato1

Dec 26, 2005
I think if this fight happened like 5 years ago jones would have won, hopefully he doesn't have a good fight left in him and Joe beats him, should be a good fight regardless.

Vin how do you know Paz, have you been to Rhode Island.

OP
Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #9
    I think if this fight happened like 5 years ago jones would have won, hopefully he doesn't have a good fight left in him and Joe beats him, should be a good fight regardless.

Vin how do you know Paz, have you been to Rhode Island.
    long story short-

my cousin was a world champion and is friends with Paz....when I was fighting in the golden gloves I got to know Kevin Rooney (Paz's trainer, and former trainer of Mike Tyson), and one of my friends turned pro and went to train with Rooney up in the Catskills. I went to one of his fights in Albany NY, and Paz was doing the commentary for the fights that night for television. I met him, we kept in contact, and I went to Rhode Island to see Vinny fight Gilbert Dele for the WBA junior middleweight title back in October of 1991. He won, and I hung out and partied with him after the fight. I've kept in contact with him, and saw him a couple of years ago at the boxing hall of fame.

Good guy, but crazy as hell !!:D

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    vin u know kevin rooney, that's awesome!!

i think joe will win this, i agree if this happned 5 years ago it would be roy but i think calzaghe will have enough to stop jones jr

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    man roy jones, got fucked up, sad to see him like that, he was such a great fighter, started off well, floored joe in the first round, but after the 3rd round you could see his age, calzaghe upped the work rate and roy couldn't keep up

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    it was -1 straight down the card after the first 2 rounds

jones' boxing career ended in 2004, he must really need the money badly

OP
    Vinman

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #13
    it was -1 straight down the card after the first 2 rounds

jones' boxing career ended in 2004, he must really need the money badly
    no...its the fame that these guys crave

Roy is a multi-millionaire, and isnt starving one bit, but he is a fighter who gets his satisfaction from being in the spotlight. Being a commentator wont give him the same satisfaction

On to the fight- after Calzaghe was caught with a forearm and floored in round one, Joe got up and never looked back. He gave Roy a beating, and gave him a pretty bad cut on his left eye

Credit to Roy...he didnt finish his career on his back, like so many over the hill fighters

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
    Calzaghe was amazing yet again and completely out classed Roy Jones. Sure Jones is past his prime but he's still one hell of a fighter, but tonight Joe found a weakness and attacked it.

I'm against the majority here (although i am massively biased), i think 5 years ago Calzaghe would have won anyway - The thing with Joe is he throws so many punches and can do it for 12 rounds without a problem, even a man with the fighting skill of roy jones would struggle to deal with that kind of pressure in his prime.

It is a shame this fight never happened 5 years ago as it would have been brilliant to watch and would have been the biggest fight in boxing since tyson-lewis but we all know the difficulties promoters cause and unfortunately it never came off - In calzaghe's autobiography he talks about how the fight was all agreed and Jones backed out at the last minute with no explanation.

Anyway I love Roy Jones, he is an absolute legend and a proper fighter, the grace with which he lost was unbelievable and really exposed Hopkins for the twat that he is. Props to Roy jones for an amazing career and legacy.

Who is left for Calzaghe now? And how is calzaghe seen in the USA now - have people heard of him now?

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    there is nobody left for Joe to fight, he plans to retire. hopefully someone out there will bring him a challenge that he finds to tempting to refuse,but he has written his legacy and may feel that noe it is time to quit,while he still has the unbeaten record and has finally gained the recognition he deserves as probably Britains best ever boxer

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    ok quite a few of us are interested in boxing so i just made this the official thread.

didn't catch the Haye fight but hear he absolutely destryoyed Barret,nest up could be a clash with Vitali Klitshcko . however there are rumours that Lennox Lewis is back training with an eye to a rematch with Vitali,though this could then open the door for Haye to fight Wladimir Klitshcko.

if this was to happen and both British fighters were to be victorious then there could be the setting for a super bout,but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. there is a long way to go but it looks like David Haye could really set the heavyweight cat amongst the pigeons

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    yea i saw the fight, haye did beat the crap out of barrett, but this is a washed up heavyweight who was never more then a decent fighter at his best, i know haye has the speed, but i'm still questioning whether or not he can take hits from a strong heavyweight and if he has the punching power to knock a power house out, i think it will be his speed that does the trick, just a question of how strong his chin is.....

Il Re

-- 10 --
    Jan 13, 2005
    ok quite a few of us are interested in boxing so i just made this the official thread.

didn't catch the Haye fight but hear he absolutely destryoyed Barret,nest up could be a clash with Vitali Klitshcko . however there are rumours that Lennox Lewis is back training with an eye to a rematch with Vitali,though this could then open the door for Haye to fight Wladimir Klitshcko.

if this was to happen and both British fighters were to be victorious then there could be the setting for a super bout,but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. there is a long way to go but it looks like David Haye could really set the heavyweight cat amongst the pigeons
    if lennox does that he is the biggest fool in the world, he was lucky against vitali last time

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    word mate, i feel this could take some of the shine off of his hard earned reputation as i fear that Klitshcko would be better prepared this time, plus a few years out of the ring will really hamper you. no amount of training can recreate the ring environment and it would have to be either a superhuman performance by Lewis or an under-par Klitshcko for him to come back and win

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
    there is nobody left for Joe to fight, he plans to retire. hopefully someone out there will bring him a challenge that he finds to tempting to refuse,but he has written his legacy and may feel that noe it is time to quit,while he still has the unbeaten record and has finally gained the recognition he deserves as probably Britains best ever boxer
    I wouldn't mind him retiring, as you rightly say his legacy has been consolidated and it will only get better with time - he will always be compared to Rocky Marciano and his 49 and o and that is an honour for any fighter.

The thing is boxing is a funny game and as we have seen in the case of holyfield, tyson, Roberto Duran et al that fighters tend to fight on for the legacy or unfortunately for the money. Joe should only take a fight if he's motivated by the OPPONENT and not the paycheck/lagacy status. In the past Joe has had serious problems motivating himself for some fights so the opponent needs to be right if he is to enter the ring again. Having said that Joe is a smart guy and will make the right decision I'm sure.

There r a few names out there being floated about:

Jermain Taylor: Good fighter that has been in with some legends and come out on top, he's a good fighter, but not a great one

Glen Johnson: experienced fighter and they have unfinished business... Could potentially be a fight and I would love to see it at the millenium stadium: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/spor...T__SUPER_JOE__CALZAGHE__WRITES_HIM_LETTER.asp

Chad Dawson: Cant really comment as havent seen enough of him but from what i have seen he is overrated, either way not the kind of guy to go out on a bang with.

Pavlik: Depite his loss to hopkins i'd still like to see this fight, i think pavlik would be destroyed by joe and after his loss to Hopkins the fight hasn't got the same aura it had before.

Froch: I would love to see Calzaghe shut this piece of shit's mouth, he's been in with nobody and talks as much as prince nas, calzaghe would take him to pieces, but the guy has no commercial appeal, because he's not good enough

anyone else potential?

lol that would be stupid from lennox, surely he's smarter than that - everyone is crying for him to return and this just increases his profile, he did well to get out when he did.

V.Klitshcko was at the fight and took part in the post fight interview with haye, it was quite funny actually, haye wants to fight both of them and V.K def wants to fight him so were in for an interesting year in the HW class

yea i saw the fight, haye did beat the crap out of barrett, but this is a washed up heavyweight who was never more then a decent fighter at his best, i know haye has the speed, but i'm still questioning whether or not he can take hits from a strong heavyweight and if he has the punching power to knock a power house out, i think it will be his speed that does the trick, just a question of how strong his chin is.....
    Exactly, theres no question about Haye's power and speed, but the guy he was in with wasn't exactly a skilled fighter. If Haye gets caught with a klitschko bomb he'll be on the canvass, and i'm not sure he's got the chin or the heart to recover from it. But Haye's punching power is his biggest weapon and if he connects properly he could knock a tree down! I hope he gets the title fights he needs to show us what he is made of

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)