The Official Reggae Thread (2 Viewers)

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Yeah. So who here likes Reggae? I'm sure when most of you unfortunate souls who have not been exposed to this genre think of Reggae, you only think of Bob Marley. Sure he is the greatest, he is a legend, he is to Reggae what 2pac is to rap, Beatles is to rock, Ranieri is to Juve and Zlatan is to inter.

But there are many great artists out there. And there are also different sub-genres of reggae. There is the original form of Reggae, like Bob Marley, UB40, etc. which are the old school, classics. I'm only familiar with Bob though. Some of his best songs are: Is This Love, Jammin, Get Stand Up, Three Little Birds, etc.

Then there is dub. I'm not really into that except for a few songs, and some artistes who also fall into other sub-genres. More famous dub artistes are Buju Banton who is also one of my favourites, Bounty Killer, etc. Dub is very often just some noisy trash, with anti-battyman lyrics and blah, blah, blah.

Dancehall is like South Hip-Hop. A bunch of garbage lyrics, and new dances for every song. I hate it except in parties, which is what it's made for. Popular artistes are Vybz Kartel, Movado, Elephant Man, etc.

The sub-genre that I prefer is Conscious. These are melodious, mellow, pcifying tunes that are normaly accompanied by lyrics of peace, love, spirituality, ganja, ganja, weed, social conscousness and ganja. My favourite artistes are I-wayne, Buju Banton, Richie Spice and Jah Cure. Local dudes like Isasha, Prophet Benjamin, Million Voice, Royal Dainty, etc. are cool, but you can't find these songs aywhere.

So, for those of you who haven't experienced this artform, some songs I recommend:

Life Seeds- I-Wayne
Earth A Run Red- Richie Spice
Caling Out for Love- Richie Spice
Untold Stories- Buju Banton
Longing For- Jah Cure
Love is- Jah Cure
Beautiful Lady- Gyptian

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
If UB40 and Bob Marley are the classics then I'd better flush my whole reggae collection down the toilet.

OP
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
  • Thread Starter #10

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Oh yeah, I know that song.

I just said UB40 because I don't know may old school, but you don't like Bob?

Pick of the day:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wWQolRkxM
    Of course I love Bob but UB40 are far far from being called Reggae classics. And for the matter neither is Bob Marley.

And as for your first post you missed out on two of the most important types of reggae, roots an ska.

Jun 26, 2007
    Jack mentioning ska made me remember this old Dutch band that used to be insanely popular in the lowlands. It's rather a mixture of ska, pop & rock, but they have a lot of great songs, like this one (their most well-known):

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)