Jazz (1 Viewer)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
So i was listening to 'Get Your Way' by Jamie Cullum the other day..and i realzied that ive started fancing Jazz.Even though i think Jamie Cullum isnt really hard core Jazz,but he still falls under the Jazz bracket.

Ive didnt like the genre previously,partly because i wasnt able to digest the music,and also because i was too busy listening to other forms of music.But now i want to listen more of Jazz.I want some recommendations for quality Jazz music.I dont care about the time it was released in.I just want stuff that'll be easily available online.Something along the lines of the music in Taxi Driver would be sweet,but i wont mind other forms of Jazz too as long as its great.

Great Jazz artists,great Jazz songs..anything.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Marko

GhostDog
May 1, 2006
Keep on listening, jazz is great. I have started listening jazz with Pat Metheny, like many others so I highly recommend him. Here's little teaser:

There's no albums here from Weather Report, which is also great jazz-rock-fusion music.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Jazz is a massive topic, really. I've found my likings going from classics like Stan Getz and Miles Davis to more modern contemporaries like Joshua Redman and Erik Truffaz.

Jul 24, 2006
'Kind of Blue' is almost the obligatory starting point, (Miles Davis) but I would also highly recommend 'Blue Train' by John Coltrane and 'Mingus, Mingus, Mingus' by... er, Mingus as well as 'Straight , no Chaser' by Thelonius Monk.

These are the most accessible and arguably seminal albums of 'pure' jazz. Roll a fatty, pour a whiskey or whatever it is you like to do and really listen to these start- to-finish and I guarantee you'll never call cullum or buble jazz again..

(they're all on piratebay so there's no excuse!) Enjoy!!

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Jazz-Rock fusion is great, bands like Weather Report or The Flock are quite brilliant.

Jun 26, 2007
In my opinion, a great album to start with listening to jazz is A Love Supreme by John Coltrane. Not that hard to listen to, very melodic and definitely one of the best albums ever made.

Some of the standards stuff you should also check out is Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, George Benson, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Herbie Hancock and of course other Coltrane albums (which are usually more complex).

Then if you want to hear some more exotic/complex stuff, I'd recommend Chick Corea, Ornette Coleman (pretty insane), Chet Baker, Pat Metheny, Django Reinhardt, Weather Report, ...

There are of course many other great jazz artists, but these are some I can think of now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)