Marcello Lippi Interview 2002-2003 (1 Viewer)

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
"Winning is beautiful, but winning again is exciting"; with these words Juventus coach Marcello Lippi opened an interview during the weekend. He continued: "It will be difficult to rob us, because we've every chance to have another big season."

• Aim: Champions League or Serie A ?

"At the beginning we surely won't renounce anything. We're the last Italian team that won the Champions League (1996) and our hope is to be able to give this gift to Italian soccer once again".

Transfer market:

"There actually isn't very much money to do major transfers, but am happy to see Tudor, Montero and Salas again, who only played on a few occasions last season due to injuries. These are the biggest affairs that will be done".

Alessandro Del Piero:

"I'll immediately sign to have Alex play at the same level he did during the last championship" Lippi said, also adding that he will soon be awarded with the Golden Ball.

Pessotto and Zambrotta injuries:

"I'm evaluating different tactics. At the end of the last championship you have to remember that I was playing with Trezeguet, Del Piero, Zalayeta and Nedved. Salas could be an alternative to Zalayeta. Obviously I want to underline that this is only one of the possibilities".

Greatest rival:

"AC Milan. but I also fear the possible Ronaldo-effect at Inter. I have the belief that the World Cup has been an aperitif for him".

Buy on AliExpress.com

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Nice to hear from Lippi, but if we are to challenge for the cl we do need to get some more creative players and our priorities should also include a decent left back, right back but most of all players with pace

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
pity about the transfer part.and to think i was looking forward to the board putting in some big money for transfers like last season.but no worry.we nrver we big spenders anyway,and the important thing is that we win it again. :excited: :excited:

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
I don't want the Coppa Italia. I don't even want the scudetto (I'll take it though don't get me wrong). This season, I want the Champions League and nothing less.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
I think we can. At the moment, we have pretty much the same squad as last season. If we can stay injury free (thats a big if of course), I dont see why our squad isn't strong enough to win the CL. Remember, our biggest problem last year in the CL were injuries (and lack of road form, but thats been a probelm for a while now).

I think the CL is actually easier to win the Serie A. Perhaps easy is a bad word, but you can be lucky and win the CL. You cannot win Serie A based on luck. Look at Leverkusen. They were a few goals away from winning the CL. How do you think they would have fared in Serie A last season? Fourth at best, if you ask me.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by BigIzz ] ++
I think we can. At the moment, we have pretty much the same squad as last season. If we can stay injury free (thats a big if of course), I dont see why our squad isn't strong enough to win the CL. Remember, our biggest problem last year in the CL were injuries (and lack of road form, but thats been a probelm for a while now).

I think the CL is actually easier to win the Serie A. Perhaps easy is a bad word, but you can be lucky and win the CL. You cannot win Serie A based on luck. Look at Leverkusen. They were a few goals away from winning the CL. How do you think they would have fared in Serie A last season? Fourth at best, if you ask me.
Did you actually watch the matches in full or did you see just the highlights, because of you did see the full games, you will know we are a few players short of winning cl, and to underestimate leverkusen is very unfair, their players came second in the german league, domestic cup, cl final and a lot of them were involved in the semi finals of the wc, injuries deprived ramelow and ze roberto is a bit unlucky not to be a wc winner.
On the other hand, we were quite fortunate to beat Celtic at home with a dubious penalty, didnt play well in all but one away match and that was in Norway where we drew and apart from Leverkusen away, we can't really say that injuries harmed our course as manchester united beat Deportivo without beckham, keane and gary neville and as a big club injuries don't wash with me as far as excuses are concerned

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++

Did you actually watch the matches in full or did you see just the highlights, because of you did see the full games, you will know we are a few players short of winning cl, and to underestimate leverkusen is very unfair, their players came second in the german league, domestic cup, cl final and a lot of them were involved in the semi finals of the wc, injuries deprived ramelow and ze roberto is a bit unlucky not to be a wc winner.
On the other hand, we were quite fortunate to beat Celtic at home with a dubious penalty, didnt play well in all but one away match and that was in Norway where we drew and apart from Leverkusen away, we can't really say that injuries harmed our course as manchester united beat Deportivo without beckham, keane and gary neville and as a big club injuries don't wash with me as far as excuses are concerned
I did not watch every match because it is not possible where I live. You are right however that we are a few players away from winning the CL. We have those players on our roster, unfortunatley, they were injured durring most of the second stage. If we had stayed healthy, I have no doubt that we would have advanced from the second stage.

Our top choice lineup last season was something like Buffon; Pessotto, Montero, Tudor, Thuram; Davids, Tacch/Conte, Zambrotta; Nedved; Del Piero and Trezeguet, with Salas, Conte/Tacch, Ferrara, Iuliano, Maresca, etc on the bench. Look at the lineups we played in our 2nd stage losses:

For the Arsenal match, we were at relativly full strength. No excuse there.

For the draw agaisnt Depor at Home, our lineup was missing Montero and Tudor. Our bench was so weak it was comprised of Carini, Paramatti, Zenoni, Maresca, Zalayeta, Guzman and Scardinia.

The game in Depor where we lost 2-0, our starting midfield was Maresca, Tacch, Nedved and Birindelli (maybe count his as a 5th defender). Anyway, Tudor, Thuram, Davids and Zambrotta were all not in the starting lineup.

Our 5th game, a must win game agaisnt Leverkusen, we started Buffon; Pessotto, Ferrara, Birindelli, Zenoni; Conte, Tacch, Zambrotta'; Nedved; Trez and Amoroso. For the most important game in the CL, we were without 1) Del Piero, 2) Salas, 3) Davids, 4) Montero, 5) Tudor, 6) Thuram. That is 5 starters and 1 World CLass sub we were missing. Its no wonder we lost.

We beat Leverkusen handliy 4-0, then lost to them 3-1. There has to be a reason and the reason is we were dissamated by injuries. Not just 1 or 2, but we had 3 or 4 starters/world class/key players hurt throughout the entire season. At full strength we were a better club then Leverkusen last year. I don't see how that can even be disputed. And if we were better then Leverkusen, there is no reason why that could not have been us in the final. That is why I think, given the right breaks, we could have won the CL last year and can again this year.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Bigizz, 2 points of correction, Ferrara was not a sub last season, he was a starter and the second point was that against depor away, it was not injuries but Lippi trying to be clever as he left Thuram and Davids on the bench and decided to start Birindelli and Maresca, believe me when i saw that lineup, i almost doubled up in amazement. All in all, the major absentees in the cl were Tudor and Salas and lets be honest neither is a guaranteed first teamer. But if we had a better squad there will be no need to look at the bench and be embarassed, thats why i don't understand all these players we seem to keep on buying.
P.s You are very fortunate you did not see the first half of Depor away, it made for very painful viewing

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Bigizz, 2 points of correction, Ferrara was not a sub last season, he was a starter and the second point was that against depor away, it was not injuries but Lippi trying to be clever as he left Thuram and Davids on the bench and decided to start Birindelli and Maresca, believe me when i saw that lineup, i almost doubled up in amazement. All in all, the major absentees in the cl were Tudor and Salas and lets be honest neither is a guaranteed first teamer. But if we had a better squad there will be no need to look at the bench and be embarassed, thats why i don't understand all these players we seem to keep on buying.
P.s You are very fortunate you did not see the first half of Depor away, it made for very painful viewing
I did see the Depor game (I may have turned it off it the second half because it was awful to watch). I remember Lippi tring to be clever, but my point is that we have the players. I wasn't arguing about our coaching or lineups or tactics, my point is we simply have the players to win the CL, which we do.

BTW, Ferara wasn't a starter last year when our club was at full strength. Our top chocie backline was Pessotto-Thuram-Montero-Tudor. Only when Tudor played midfield, which was because of Davids suspension, or because of injuries, did Iuliano or Ferrara start.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Bigizz, from december i think upwards, Ferrara started every game, while Thuram was shifted to right back and Tudor if he started played as a midfielder but really was mostly injured. If you dont believe me you can confirm from juventus' official website, i think the lineups will be there

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Bigizz, from december i think upwards, Ferrara started every game, while Thuram was shifted to right back and Tudor if he started played as a midfielder but really was mostly injured. If you dont believe me you can confirm from juventus' official website, i think the lineups will be there
That is because Montero and Tudor were always injured. He started a lot, but he was a starter because of the injuries. When both of them were healthy and or not suspended, they were the starting central defenders. Also, Ferrara was playing great last season, it isn't like we lost much when he was in the lineup.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I don't care what anybody says about Juve not having a chance in the CL,as long as we are Juve we will have a good chance. We have class players like Buffon,Tudor,Pessotto,Zambrotta,Nedved,Trezeguet and Del Piero. We have also made some great purchases,acquiring some young starlets like Baiocco,Camoranesi,Moretti and Blasi. If the team is able to gel together,and if Lippi can find the right formation,then Juve should have a good chance of at least getting to the Semis.

If the players can manage to stay injury-free,then we should give most teams in europe,if not all a good run for their money.

Formation : If I was in charge I would try to play something unpredictable,attacking and defensive at the same time. The only way I can put together something like this is with the 3-4-1-2 formation.

3-4-1-2 : Since it seems that we will end up keeping Thuram,we could play him in a three man defence. Thuram-Fresi-Montero/Iuliano was what I had in mind. Tudor would play in a defensive midfield position look last season. This is my idea :

Buffon - Thuram,Fresi,Montero/Iuliano - Zambrotta,Tudor,Davids/Dacourt,Pessotto - Nedved - Trezeguet,Del Piero

I think this formation is very versatile,at least on paper. Zambrotta could get back when needed,as could Pessotto. Tudor and Davids/Dacourt would play as defensive midfielders. Nedved would play in the hole behind Trezeguet and Del Piero.

In the absence of Zambrotta and Pessotto,due to injury,Camoranesi would play right wing and either Conte,Baiocco and Davids would play left midfield. If Davids did the job then both him and Dacourt/Conte could play at the same time.

Anybody think my idea makes sense? If you don't,then give me your personally opinion of how we should lineup.

eringi

Jul 15, 2002
With the current players we have a slight chance of winning the CL. Italian teams have fallen behind European teams now that it is not even funny. I think if an Italian team wins the CL next season it will be a very big upset. The best players in the World no longer play in Italy. I really think we need to do something very good in the transfer market to win the CL otherwise it will take a miracle (which i cross my fingers for)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Leila lol with your signature, sadly it is true, the kind of players that are palying today is quite pathetic really worse still they get to the very top. I totally agree with Eringi, it will take a miracle to win the cl and as the wc showed you need quality individuals to win it, which whether we want to admit or not we dont have too much of those in our present squad

s0ftcore

Jul 13, 2002
*sings*

There can be miracles, when you believe...

*/sings*

Let's just pray that Lippi will not try to be clever, and all the players can stay injury free, and get Luck on our side. But I do want Juve to win the CL...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)